And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
massive bonus getting a point, only papering over the cracks though. could be worse, could be a celtic fan (or wolves or qpr)

ref having a laugh with those 2 reds

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Bit of luck and some great goalkeeping makes a good point.

Wish he would just play Sanchez in his proper position.

D

Deleted member 16999

Great result that for Arsenal, didn't see the 1st half, but not a bad 2nd half performance overall, rode their luck at times and Ospina was top notch,

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
A great result against a very good team away from home. No mean feat to go there and come back with something. Well done to Wenger for having the courage to play Ospina after what happened last year. Good man management that and it would have done Ospina's confidence the world of good.

D

Deleted member 16999

A great result against a very good team away from home. No mean feat to go there and come back with something. Well done to Wenger for having the courage to play Ospina after what happened last year. Good man management that and it would have done Ospina's confidence the world of good.
Didn't see the 1st half, Ospina had a superb game, but good man management for Ospina surely means he got it wrong with the other starting 10, Ospina and bad finishing aside, on the 2nd half alone your defence and midfield were chasing shadows at times, great result, but you need to be a bit more honest about the whole performance.

D

Deleted member 1740

Didn't see the 1st half, Ospina had a superb game, but good man management for Ospina surely means he got it wrong with the other starting 10, Ospina and bad finishing aside, on the 2nd half alone your defence and midfield were chasing shadows at times, great result, but you need to be a bit more honest about the whole performance.

Ospina is a world class goalkeeper apparently, he's only played 10 games in last 12 months :rolleyes:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Question for Sunderland fans, open to others as well. Talking to a mate after Mondays match we were looking at the way this season is going to go for Sunderland and Newcastle. Newcastle have re-grouped and are likely to have a strong season. Fans will be positive, they will see their team win lots of matches. They will be happy. Sunderland are going to have a 6th grim year on the trot. They will see their team lose more often than not, expectations will be low, atmosphere in the ground will be grim.

Who are better off, Sunderland or Newcastle? Will Sunderland be better off going down this year rather than hanging on for grim death yet again but not really progressing? Will a year in the championship give them a chance to re-group?

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yeah the performance wasn't great but the result was.

It was PSG in Paris so was never going to be a walk in the park. Many a good side would be chasing shadows for a period of the game against that team. Chelsea, City , etc have gone there before and haven't won so it's no great surprised to be outclassed and out played at times.

Wenger has experimented with Sanchez but I think he will give that one up now. Worth a try but Sanchez ain't no CF.

D

Deleted member 16999

Yeah the performance wasn't great but the result was.

It was PSG in Paris so was never going to be a walk in the park. Many a good side would be chasing shadows for a period of the game against that team. Chelsea, City , etc have gone there before and haven't won so it's no great surprised to be outclassed and out played at times.

Wenger has experimented with Sanchez but I think he will give that one up now. Worth a try but Sanchez ain't no CF.

You still avoided the question, totally agree it was a great result and I fully support any English team in Europe, but are you really giving credit to Wenger for the result? Come on mate, he dodged a bullet last night. His team selection got lucky. Sanchez in the 2nd half ran his guts out and I'm sure before last night we knew he was no CF.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Question for Sunderland fans, open to others as well. Talking to a mate after Mondays match we were looking at the way this season is going to go for Sunderland and Newcastle. Newcastle have re-grouped and are likely to have a strong season. Fans will be positive, they will see their team win lots of matches. They will be happy. Sunderland are going to have a 6th grim year on the trot. They will see their team lose more often than not, expectations will be low, atmosphere in the ground will be grim.

Who are better off, Sunderland or Newcastle? Will Sunderland be better off going down this year rather than hanging on for grim death yet again but not really progressing? Will a year in the championship give them a chance to re-group?

Could flip that around for Middlesbrough. I wanted them to get promoted but would have preferred an entertaining season pushing for top rather than a Prem season probably looking at the trapdoor immediately below.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
You still avoided the question, totally agree it was a great result and I fully support any English team in Europe, but are you really giving credit to Wenger for the result? Come on mate, he dodged a bullet last night. His team selection got lucky. Sanchez in the 2nd half ran his guts out and I'm sure before last night we knew he was no CF.

Did his team selection get lucky, or was it a good result? I thought the team he picked had draw written all over it. He set out for a draw against a very tough side away from home.

Well done Wenger and the Wenger boys.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Could flip that around for Middlesbrough. I wanted them to get promoted but would have preferred an entertaining season pushing for top rather than a Prem season probably looking at the trapdoor immediately below.

I think in the first season up there is still raw excitement and a level of forgiveness if you get badly turned over. In Sunderland's position this has become standard, a bit like Wigan. I don't see the fun it it, they are surviving but nothing more. Boro look better than Sunderland so I think you may be okay. The aim is to stabilise yr 1, progress yr 2, move up to mid table yr 3. If you are always 4th from bottom I don't really see the point.

D

Deleted member 16999

Did his team selection get lucky, or was it a good result? I thought the team he picked had draw written all over it. He set out for a draw against a very tough side away from home.

Well done Wenger and the Wenger boys.

Brian, fantastic result with hindsight, saw the 1st half highlights and watched the 2nd half, it wasn't a good team performance, without Ospina and poor finishing it could've easily been 3/4 - 0.
No manager could set up a team deliberately for that.
Hopefully tonight we'll see the other 3 win.

D

Deleted member 16999

I think in the first season up there is still raw excitement and a level of forgiveness if you get badly turned over. In Sunderland's position this has become standard, a bit like Wigan. I don't see the fun it it, they are surviving but nothing more. Boro look better than Sunderland so I think you may be okay. The aim is to stabilise yr 1, progress yr 2, move up to mid table yr 3. If you are always 4th from bottom I don't really see the point.
Sunderland will finish 12-15 this season.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that is hugely optimistic. If they stay up and keep Moyes then I can see that for next season. I'm not sure he can save them this year, even at this early stage. Which, minimum, five teams are worse than Sunderland?

Status
Not open for further replies.