And, we’re off.......2018/2019

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I still think it was wrong to ban other clubs from Europe.
Liverpool yes but not others.
They were punished so uefa looked like they were doing something .

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I still think it was wrong to ban other clubs from Europe.
Liverpool yes but not others.
They were punished so uefa looked like they were doing something .
Shame Wimbledon were banned after winning the cup. Could you imagine the likes of Real Madrid or any of the greats of that time arriving at Plough Lane to face Vinny and Fash the Bash

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think Wimbledon could beat them tonight they are getting beat 2-0 at home by Ajax, and it should be 4 or 5.
Madrid are not in a good place are they? I'd love to have seen one of the real big teams of that era rock up at Plough Lane with the pitch so close to the crowd. Vinny and the rest getting stuck in and playing their long ball stuff. Don't forget Bobby Gould was an astute manager and he'd have got them playing especially as the cup winners cup was straight knockout

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Solari was never the man for the job but Real are great at arrogance and shooting themselves in the foot with their decisions that they were left with no option. He commands no respect from the ragtag of a playing staff he has. Vinicius looks a great talent but at the same time a bit Emile Heskey.

If Ajax get this chalked off and Real score it will be a travesty.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Spurs mate of mine wants Ajax next round, how can he say that after what they are doing to Madrid?

Is he thinking more about the away leg in Amsterdam rather than the actual match?

EDIT - the big shame is that another of the smaller clubs, in this case Ajax, will have their best players asset stripped by the big clubs and will then struggle to compete at the same level next season. Frenkie De Jong already signed to go to Barca, and possibly De Licht (spelling?) as well and I'm sure there could be more than just those two moving on.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Spurs mate of mine wants Ajax next round, how can he say that after what they are doing to Madrid?

Because they a dutch team. All the top sides would fancy. The fact that Madrid have been hopeless doesn't detract from Ajax performance as such, but it also doesn't prove Ajax are the next big thing.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
It might just be me, but I really don't get the hype surrounding Toni Kroos. I watch a lot of La Liga and most Copa Del Rey matches and I can't recall him ever having a standout match and without fail goes missing in Classicos.

Good player, no doubt, good as part of the German machine, no doubt. Great though, not for me.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Think Ajax of this season could be the Monaco of a few seasons ago. Look at Monaco now. Only plus Ajax have a decent Acadamy

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
It might just be me, but I really don't get the hype surrounding Toni Kroos. I watch a lot of La Liga and most Copa Del Rey matches and I can't recall him ever having a standout match and without fail goes missing in Classicos.

Good player, no doubt, good as part of the German machine, no doubt. Great though, not for me.

He was the Jorginho of RM, the central midfielder pinging passes left and right. Not the glamour player but effective. Modric was more of the dynamic creator, linking with Benzema, Bale and Ronnie, when they were all playing.

Note I say "was" in the both cases as RM are a broken machine and have been since Zidane and Big Ron left. It's not just Bale that's the problem either. Isco can't get a look in. Marcelo out of the team. Ramos "selecting" the games he wants to play in. There's no structure or pattern to them nowadays. I couldn't see what they were trying to do; Modric was trying his hardest but doesn't have the support and/or talent around him to back it up. Lots of changes needed this summer...Kane in? :p

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
At this point in the competition every team has beaten at least one decent side to be there. Cherry-picking is a bit flawed, but you'd still be lying if you said you wouldn't rather play Ajax than say, Barca, Juve/Atletico, or City.