And, we’re off.......2018/2019

D

Deleted member 16999

Help us out lads... What are Steau comments?
Unfortunately it was initially done by LPool fans as a wind up at Everton fans as the year Steau Bucharest won the European Cup (1986) it might of been Everton’s best chance but were banned with the other English Clubs.
Now we get knobheads (who probably weren’t even born) at Everton and other clubs singing songs about Heysel in response, but anyone singing songs relating to fans dying is sick in the head imo, just the same as the Steau banners some LPool fans made in response.
It’s poor and I genuinely wish Everton as a club would out these people and ban them.

D

Deleted member 15344

Who was responsible for the ban?

Football hooligans were responsible— build up that had accumulated over the years and then the awful scenes at Hysel where fans sadly lost their lives after Liverpool fans charged and a wall collapsed in an unfit stadium resulted in then ban. But you use it as an excuse for hating a club ?

D

Deleted member 16999

Pressure mounted to ban English clubs from European competition. On 31 May 1985, BritishPrime Minister Margaret Thatcher asked the FA to withdraw English clubs from Europeancompetition before they were banned, but two days later, UEFA banned English clubs for "an indeterminate period of time".

She had made her feelings quite clear prior to any talk of all Clubs being banned.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The FA are getting such a joke now

Handball during a game to cheat a goal .. nothing done

Kane’s headbutt nothing done

Players diving all time nothing done

Snodgrass uses foul language to a member of the anti doping team during a test

1 match ban and a fine

*slow clap*

Well done

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Pressure mounted to ban English clubs from European competition. On 31 May 1985, BritishPrime Minister Margaret Thatcher asked the FA to withdraw English clubs from Europeancompetition before they were banned, but two days later, UEFA banned English clubs for "an indeterminate period of time".

She had made her feelings quite clear prior to any talk of all Clubs being banned.

Maybe she was thinking of it before, but Heysel was a brutal act of violence perpetrated by Liverpool fans that killed 39 supporters, mostly of Juventus fans but apparently some neutral fans too that was the actual catalyst for the ban.

D

Deleted member 16999

Was it not because of the actions of the Liverpool football fans?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....ory/english-football-clubs-banned-from-europe
I’ll never defend the actions of those LPool fans involved, and it’s very easy to stop their, but:

UEFA president Jacques Georges and general secretary Hans Bangerter were threatened with imprisonment, before being given conditional discharges.

Albert Roosens, the former secretary-general of the Belgian Football Union (BFU) and Johan Mahieu -- who was in charge of policing the stands at Heysel despite having never supervised a football match before -- were given six-month suspended prison sentences for negligence.
"Heysel is the tragedy of the century," said Caremani. "UEFA and Belgian institutions are the guilty ones -- they chose that stadium and it was the worst stadium in Europe for a final of the European Cup.

"UEFA, the Belgian institutions, England and Italy try to forget about it. They don't care about the victims. It is only after Heysel that UEFA took responsibility for stadium safety."

Conti added: "The Italian state, the Italian Football Federation and Juventus took little interest in the case."

It was an easy option to ban all English Clubs as that way it looked like they were dealing with hooliganism in Europe, except it didn’t and fans from other clubs around Europe continued to cause trouble with each other.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Maybe she was thinking of it before, but Heysel was a brutal act of violence perpetrated by Liverpool fans that killed 39 supporters, mostly of Juventus fans but apparently some neutral fans too that was the actual catalyst for the ban.

It was a brutal foolish act perpetrated by English football fans. They could easily of been supporters of a different team (if another team was as successful in europe at the time).
Just as every clubs has idiots now, they all did back did then.

Considering thee are movies glorifying the romance of West Hams "fans" and their actions during the era of football hooliganism i'd say it's a little rich to play the holier than thou act.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
It was a brutal foolish act perpetrated by English football fans. They could easily of been supporters of a different team (if another team was as successful in europe at the time).
Just as every clubs has idiots now, they all did back did then.

Considering thee are movies glorifying the romance of West Hams "fans" and their actions during the era of football hooliganism i'd say it's a little rich to play the holier than thou act.

This is my last comment on this otherwise it will end in a ban for me but two things in response to your post...First I never played any sort of holier than thou act. I’ve been going West Ham home and away for 40 years so I know the sort of arseholes that follow West Ham and what they are capable of, and second it was specifically Liverpool football fans, I don’t know why you are trying to deflect by saying English football fans. You are aware of the stickers the Everton fans stuck on the seats? Stop playing to type.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
This is my last comment on this otherwise it will end in a ban for me but two things in response to your post...First I never played any sort of holier than thou act. I’ve been going West Ham home and away for 40 years so I know the sort of arseholes that follow West Ham and what they are capable of, and second it was specifically Liverpool football fans, I don’t know why you are trying to deflect by saying English football fans. You are aware of the stickers the Everton fans stuck on the seats? Stop playing to type.

Of course on that occasion it was Liverpool fans. I wasn't implying that other supporters were in the ground in disguise. Simply that it was an inevitable situation due to the ridiculous hooliganism problems that plagued english footy at the time.

As to the holier than thou act, sorry but all fans were as bad as each other during that time. In fact i can still reel off some teams hooligan supporter names (none of which are from any Liverpool based teams), simply because some clubs have fans that still harp back to those good old days a lot more. BUT trying to somehow take a moral high ground simply because your team didn't have the bad luck to be caught is hypocrisy of the highest order.

D

Deleted member 1740

The ban was a culmination of English fans behaviour across Europe leading Upto Heysel, not just Liverpool.

I’m more than happy to debate it with you, if you wish.

30+ yrs later Italy still has a hooligan problem.

D

Deleted member 16999

Of course on that occasion it was Liverpool fans. I wasn't implying that other supporters were in the ground in disguise. Simply that it was an inevitable situation due to the ridiculous hooliganism problems that plagued english footy at the time.

As to the holier than thou act, sorry but all fans were as bad as each other during that time. In fact i can still reel off some teams hooligan supporter names (none of which are from any Liverpool based teams), simply because some clubs have fans that still harp back to those good old days a lot more. BUT trying to somehow take a moral high ground simply because your team didn't have the bad luck to be caught is hypocrisy of the highest order.
Sorry, I don’t agree with the first paragraph at all, it wasn’t inevitable, again I won’t excuse the LPool fans fighting, but a wall collapsed in stadium that wasn’t fit for purpose or policed in the correct manner.
I lived in Germany at the time and personally witnessed fans on the continent causing mayhem.
It solved nothing in terms of hooliganism in mainland Europe banning all English clubs.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Sorry, I don’t agree with the first paragraph at all, it wasn’t inevitable, again I won’t excuse the LPool fans fighting, but a wall collapsed in stadium that wasn’t fit for purpose or policed in the correct manner.
I lived in Germany at the time and personally witnessed fans on the continent causing mayhem.
It solved nothing in terms of hooliganism in mainland Europe banning all English clubs.

I agree re the stadium being a major factor too. Maybe i should have broadened my point. It was inevitable something would happen due to hooliganism across Europe. Maybe not a stadium collapse, but a greater issue than just back street and terrace fighting.
Re the ban, it may not of helped Europe but it did imo force English footy to clean up somewhat. The fact that the European countries still turn a blind eye to it should imo get the English fans/association more credit.

D

Deleted member 16999

I agree re the stadium being a major factor too. Maybe i should have broadened my point. It was inevitable something would happen due to hooliganism across Europe. Maybe not a stadium collapse, but a greater issue than just back street and terrace fighting.
Re the ban, it may not of helped Europe but it did imo force English footy to clean up somewhat. The fact that the European countries still turn a blind eye to it should imo get the English fans/association more credit.
We’re still the scapegoats, nothing happened to Galatasary when the 2 Leeds fans were murdered, FIFA/UEFA don’t care if it’s outside the ground.
Maybe everyone should copy how Russia controlled it for the last WC.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I’ll never defend the actions of those LPool fans involved, and it’s very easy to stop their, but:

UEFA president Jacques Georges and general secretary Hans Bangerter were threatened with imprisonment, before being given conditional discharges.

Albert Roosens, the former secretary-general of the Belgian Football Union (BFU) and Johan Mahieu -- who was in charge of policing the stands at Heysel despite having never supervised a football match before -- were given six-month suspended prison sentences for negligence.
"Heysel is the tragedy of the century," said Caremani. "UEFA and Belgian institutions are the guilty ones -- they chose that stadium and it was the worst stadium in Europe for a final of the European Cup.

"UEFA, the Belgian institutions, England and Italy try to forget about it. They don't care about the victims. It is only after Heysel that UEFA took responsibility for stadium safety."

Conti added: "The Italian state, the Italian Football Federation and Juventus took little interest in the case."

It was an easy option to ban all English Clubs as that way it looked like they were dealing with hooliganism in Europe, except it didn’t and fans from other clubs around Europe continued to cause trouble with each other.

An excellent piece and one I have thought about over the years" the people responsible for supporters safety partly being held accountable. We used to call that the "swiss cheese effect" on our pit safety days. In essence all the holes have to line up for a disaster to happen. Naughty fans, poor stadium, poor policing etc the hole lines up. Unfortunately we / UEFA only seem to learn when we have these disasters.
Since then there has been numerous unprovoked attacks where footballers have been attacked, fans have been murdered, left brain damaged, in a critical condition in hospital and yet UEFA still seems fit to dish out no bans.