American Golf- are they safe?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Where did you get that info from? In an administration the whole idea is that you get rid of the unsecured creditors, with secured creditors receiving the proceeds of the sale price of the business.

Maybe my choice of words was wrong. I was told that everything had been sorted and all the suppliers were back on board. I know that they are able to order clubs from all their suppliers, but as I said above, not all the suppliers have stock available at the moment.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Was on the final day of Daddy Daycare so took my daughter to Jurassic Golf which is part of the World of Golf development which has an AG attached. Haven’t been there in a fair while as I moved from the area but it’s a massive store, assume one of the biggest in the UK.

Was very disappointed in the stock levels, particularly the shoes (very few sizes in stock) and the clubs. Always like having a little look at putters and wanted to hit the new Pinga Sigma 2 just to see how they felt. Only one of the models was out to try and very little else on show.

Given it is one of the flagship stores I expected a lot more.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Was on the final day of Daddy Daycare so took my daughter to Jurassic Golf which is part of the World of Golf development which has an AG attached. Haven’t been there in a fair while as I moved from the area but it’s a massive store, assume one of the biggest in the UK.

Was very disappointed in the stock levels, particularly the shoes (very few sizes in stock) and the clubs. Always like having a little look at putters and wanted to hit the new Pinga Sigma 2 just to see how they felt. Only one of the models was out to try and very little else on show.

Given it is one of the flagship stores I expected a lot more.
I'd heard from a mate that uses the World of Golf regularly that it was disappointingly empty of stock so swerved it when I popped down to see him and his wife over Christmas. Sounds like he wasn't wrong and very disappointing for one their larges shops in terms of floor space

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Just had a look at the Monument store over lunch. They removed 1 set of shelves (about 15-20%) of clothing, and the remainder looks like expensive stock, J Lindbergh mostly.
Still lots of balls and club offering looks OK as well.

I still don’t feel comfortable in that store. I just don’t like the vibe in there.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If the major manufacturers took a big hit when they went into administration it's hardly surprising they are reluctant to provide new stock.

As TaylorMade no longer have Addidas behind them and several other golf brands are fairly niche I gues they will be asking for payment up front rather than risk another problem. Will also need to deal with any stock left over from the store closure program post the sales.

If you can find something you want maybe not a bad time to buy

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If the major manufacturers took a big hit when they went into administration it's hardly surprising they are reluctant to provide new stock.

As TaylorMade no longer have Addidas behind them and several other golf brands are fairly niche I gues they will be asking for payment up front rather than risk another problem. Will also need to deal with any stock left over from the store closure program post the sales.

If you can find something you want maybe not a bad time to buy

different company now though Mike.

Homer

Visit site
The name above the door is the same, but different owners / parent company.
Hence in terms of buying / credit rating the old companies history has no bearing.

Oh I see - so if they owed someone say 3 mil then that someone just keeps supplying them like nothing happened?

D

Deleted member 18588

Oh I see - so if they owed someone say 3 mil then that someone just keeps supplying them like nothing happened?

Yes if they are satisfied with the credit rating of the new owners.

It's a new company, a new account.

The outstanding debt of the old company is not the responsibility of the new one.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes if they are satisfied with the credit rating of the new owners.

It's a new company, a new account.

The outstanding debt of the old company is not the responsibility of the new one.

Exactly this, and for a common example of this situation, imagine you move house. If the previous owners or tenants hadn't paid the electricity and gas companies, does that mean it should impact the supply terms to you? If your credit standing with the gas and electricity suppliers is good, you should be able to receive a supply without needing a prepayment meter or any other restriction.

Homer

Visit site
Exactly this, and for a common example of this situation, imagine you move house. If the previous owners or tenants hadn't paid the electricity and gas companies, does that mean it should impact the supply terms to you? If your credit standing with the gas and electricity suppliers is good, you should be able to receive a supply without needing a prepayment meter or any other restriction.

But only if they want to supply you - they don’t ‘have’ to?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Of course they don't have to but AG sell a lot of golf clubs.....it would be a big outlet to lose especially as Direct Golf are virtually nonexistent these days

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I believe that there may be more store closures, dependent upon leases.

Focus could be on those stores attached to courses and/or ranges and with decent parking.
Which makes sense, and which made no sense when AG closed down their Warrington driving range last year, especially as they're based in Warrington.

What I'm a little surprised at is that the new owners seem to be running with the AG name, imo it's toxic and should be replaced to show a new ethos and the end of the old.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I looked on their website for new trolley prices, and was surprised to find they had hardly any on there. They used to have loads of Clicgear, Cube etc ones but they've all vanished. I haven't had a chance to get down to a store and see what it's like there.

I got a £25 voucher for Christmas, should I just grab a box of balls with it ASAP??

LGC2019

Visit site
The new 'flagship' store is nice (Warrington, Cheshire) it opened last year. Every time I've been in though its been empty, even in the run up to Christmas.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The new 'flagship' store is nice (Warrington, Cheshire) it opened last year. Every time I've been in though its been empty, even in the run up to Christmas.
Wow! I didn't realise they'd opened a new one, will have to visit now even though I'm no fan of them :ROFLMAO:

It's bizarre that they have never opened one at Gemini beside their offices.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
AG is a recognised name (amongst golfers anyway) and so if they cease to us the AG as a trading name it'll take a lot of time for people to realise that they are still the same company if they trade under a different name or logo. I'm sure some will assume the store has been taken over by an independent retailer. I would be surprised if they did get rid of the name unless absolutely necessary