Amateur Open Competitions - overseas?

V1nnyTheHacker

Visit site
Mrs Hacker and I love to travel playing golf & we also really enjoy playing competitive mixed open competitions. Golf Empire is a great resource for details of UK based Opens, and a few overseas events run by U.K. companies, and The Golf PA in Ireland is good for multi-day open competitions in Ireland. I wondered if anyone knew of similar sites overseas that list amateur events in their local countries. Alternatively anyone know of any good competitions that are run overseas at great courses? We recently played in an amazing 4 day Mixed Foursomes tournament at Woodhall Spa here in the U.K. but wouldn’t have know about if we hadn’t been told by a friend. Looking for other recommendations like this please, at home but even more interestingly overseas. Thanks for any help.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure if you are able to at the moment as the handicaps are all calculated differently..... shame really

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure if you are able to at the moment as the handicaps are all calculated differently..... shame really
There are straight forward conversion routines available for the major handicap versions. That in itself is not a barrier at all.

Unfortunately local organisers have frequently been seen to favour local members in EGA events and it's not unknown for CONGU handicaps to be sumarily reduced (by 3 has been quoted to me) over and above conversion.

This in turn is generally a reaction to those chosen to travel and compete for prizes in NQ events, who often don't really represent true handicaps in the first place.

Will things change going forward (with the new system)... only time will tell, but right now there is no reason why a CONGU handicap can't complete equitably on an EGA rated course, with EGA handicaps. The same isn't true the other way round across all handicaps due to the absence of a bogey index/slope rating.