Air Fryers … any good / recommendations

Mandofred

Visit site
I ended up buying the Ninja flat air fryer. Does the things I want.....can't cook large items, but it has worked great for frozen pizza, sandwiches, chips etc. According to the reviews, it doesn't do quite as good a job of air frying as the strict air fryers do, but it's a heck of a lot quicker than using the oven. I just consider it a nice toaster oven....and it folds up against the wall so it doesn't take that much counter space.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ours arrived Saturday, Bacon and poached eggs spot on, roast Sunday potatoes also perfect. 2 week overuse in play before the cupboard welcomes it :)

Ours arrived on Sunday to a similar wave of air frying anything that moves. I am hoping it doesn't end up consigned to the tech area I have in the garage alongside the robot hoover......

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ours arrived on Sunday to a similar wave of air frying anything that moves. I am hoping it doesn't end up consigned to the tech area I have in the garage alongside the robot hoover......

Because of the house battery I love trying to avoid the oven where possible as it's a massive waste of energy..

Last night was lamb shank in the pressure cooker and mash in the spare pressure cooker

Much less energy used

Plus bacon in the air fryer is god level food

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Got a silicon pouch years ago, butter that pop egg inside and air fry (used to boil it) worked great no idea on timings just ran it with the bacon, then a little more time on it's own,

not sure it's saving much energy more using more :) fish n chips night will recoup the extra money wasted so far :ROFLMAO:

care to share the poached egg technique?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Q.... we sometimes get a readmeal.. a fish pie or a sheppards pie etc from Sainsbury... usual instruction is like 30 mins at 180 degrees in the Oven. This is quiet expensive - as you end up running the oven for an hour. So keen to use the ninja fryer for this.

how does this translate to an air fryer. If i put '180 bake', the air fryer will burn thru the pie in about 15-20 mins. So looking to find a way to translate this, since dont fancy having an undercooked lasagne for dinner.

(ps: those saying make it yourself.. try full time jobs for me and mrs plus running around various kid clubs/activities)

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Q.... we sometimes get a readmeal.. a fish pie or a sheppards pie etc from Sainsbury... usual instruction is like 30 mins at 180 degrees in the Oven. This is quiet expensive - as you end up running the oven for an hour. So keen to use the ninja fryer for this.

how does this translate to an air fryer. If i put '180 bake', the air fryer will burn thru the pie in about 15-20 mins. So looking to find a way to translate this, since dont fancy having an undercooked lasagne for dinner.

(ps: those saying make it yourself.. try full time jobs for me and mrs plus running around various kid clubs/activities)

So far I’ve found that cooking for about half the time on the packet works

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So far I’ve found that cooking for about half the time on the packet works

I have been experimenting, and coming to nearly the same conculsion.... i am assuming you are leaving the temp unchanged i.e. 180. I think there might be a case of lowering the temp as well

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Reduce the temperature by about 10 degrees and reduce the time as well. I usually go 10 minutes less as a starting point.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you Google Air fryer timings there are charts that give a conversion. We tend to go 20⁰c less, 75% of the time. I might be slightly out but it's not far off.

Tnx.. just did... looks like
*Air fryer conversion (convert oven to air fryer)

Air frying is the perfect way to cook many foods, but oven-baked goods are particularly good cooked in the air fryer. You always get crispy results and the food cooks much more quickly than in a conventional oven.

It is usually very easy to convert packet instruction and recipes from oven to air fryer. However, the time and the temperature both need to be adjusted:

1) Reduce the temperature by around 35°F/ 20°C
2) Reduce the cooking time by around 20%

You can use the air fryer calculator below to convert traditional oven recipes for the air fryer. This oven to air fryer conversion calculator includes options for Fahrenheit (°F) and Celsius (°C).

So for my simple mind... i m going to go with 20..... Reduce by 20 degrees and 20% less time..
Kind of aligns with you