Air Fryers … any good / recommendations

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, I don't eat chips much so always done in the combi microwave on fan oven or in the main mutlifunction oven on fan cooking. The fan element for which is rated at 2kW, and is thermostatically controlled. The air fryers I have looked at briefly are 2.4-2.8kW so aren't that much cheaper to run over time.

Rated energy as you know is only what they can pull. They hardly ever actually pull that . Most of time it's pulling 0.5kwh

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would wager that most of the rating is the element, how else can it cook so fast?

once its up to temp it is such a small space and it just moves the air about and holds a constant temp.

I actively monitor the energy in my house and when it starts it pulls about 1.5kwh and then drops off after about 2 mins and holds at around 0.5kwh

so for a 20 min cook its very low energy

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just blackening some garlic, tomatoes and an onion in mine for a salsa, I’ll do the chips in it later ?

Cooked some garlic naan in mine to go with dinner ..

I mean 3 mins in the air fryer .. beats pre heating the oven ... Cooking for 4 mins .. would use a lot more energy getting oven heated

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cooked some garlic naan in mine to go with dinner ..

I mean 3 mins in the air fryer .. beats pre heating the oven ... Cooking for 4 mins .. would use a lot more energy getting oven heated

Blimey never though of that, cracking idea.
I’ve started to do a lot of batch cooking early in the week, did Chinese chicken curry on Monday, not only was it superb it lasted us 3 nights ?

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
As big as you can go :D. You can always have spare space in a big one but if it is too small...........

We ended up with an Asda one, 6.2 litre capacity. We are mainly a 2 person house, 4 at times when our kids are back. That is good for us.

We looked at smaller ones, ones with compartments, but we decided that size did matter and I am pleased we went for this one.

I decided to buy one of these when the energy crisis news was coming out - got it at 25% off too, so only paid £45 to see if they were any good. The other half was a bit sceptical at the time, but she is a convert now.

A week later they were out of stock, and still are when I just checked.

We probably use it at least 3/4 times a week now - about to do steak and fries.

It's the most useful kitchen appliance we've ever bought.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Blimey never though of that, cracking idea.
I’ve started to do a lot of batch cooking early in the week, did Chinese chicken curry on Monday, not only was it superb it lasted us 3 nights ?

Yeah it's great for things like that , then you save so much energy

I decided to buy one of these when the energy crisis news was coming out - got it at 25% off too, so only paid £45 to see if they were any good. The other half was a bit sceptical at the time, but she is a convert now.

A week later they were out of stock, and still are when I just checked.

We probably use it at least 3/4 times a week now - about to do steak and fries.

It's the most useful kitchen appliance we've ever bought.

We use it every day. If wasn't for milk for the kids we wouldn't use the microwave every day.. maybe every other

I mean we use the air fryer to cook bacon, halloumi, steak. All kinds now. Cuts down on the gas use as not using hob as much

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bacon baps in ours tonight. Toast the brioche in it, then put the bacon on the rack thingy. 6-7 mins maximum. Bacon perfect with crispy fat and all excess fat in the pot below.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
180. I hang them on the rack - if that makes sense? Fat drips off and the fat on the bacon crisps up nicely.
Thank you, and yes it does. I cooked some rubbish bacon in ours last week. I went 160, 8 minutes, and lay it flat. It didn't go crispy and I couldn't be bothered to wait and cook it for longer, I was hungry :LOL:. I will try your method next time as it clearly works (y)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sort of like this - but less rashers :) Plus I loop it over a few of the metal "rungs" so it's not touching but not sure it makes any difference...

View attachment 45236
I never thought of doing it like that . Doesn't it stick to the grill bit or do u oil?

I use the silicone trays and place at bottom

Breakfast today was bacon bagel for the wife and bacon with scrambled egg on toast for me