Aimpoint

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yet there he is with three majors. Remind me how many superstar aimpoint guru Rose has!

You'll need a JCB not a shovel at this rate. :whistle:

God you’re boring. No wonder everyone gets so annoyed with you on here.

Pretty sure I said ‘not saying aimpoint has made the difference to rose’

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
God you’re boring. No wonder everyone gets so annoyed with you on here.

Pretty sure I said ‘not saying aimpoint has made the difference to rose’

My my what a cutting comment.

So you argue aimpoint has got Rose to 6th in the only stat you care to choose then say it's not made a difference!

I give up, you're not worth debating with, heid full of budgie seed.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Aimpoint threads always seem to deteriorate. I remember a poker chip thread going a similar way once but that doesn't resurface in the same way as Aimpoint.

Is there any other golf related item that consistently goes this way every time? I can't think of one.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Not that red herring. Yes. Got down to 11 and now up to 14. Nothing to do with aimpoint as the putting has been perhaps the one consistent throughout averaging around 32-33 for the last four years. So much to do with the short game and the other issues

Did your initial drop to 11 occur as you took up aimpoint? Because if not, then it could be argued that your improve putting stats are simply down to the fact that the rest of your game has fallen down. Meaning less gir, which would likely lead to shorter putts after a chip.

At end of the day, we all have our own habits on the course and imo if you believe it helps, then it usually does. Confidence is key for amateurs.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Aimpoint threads always seem to deteriorate. I remember a poker chip thread going a similar way once but that doesn't resurface in the same way as Aimpoint.

Is there any other golf related item that consistently goes this way every time? I can't think of one.

Dress codes....back in the news again recently:thup:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Did your initial drop to 11 occur as you took up aimpoint? Because if not, then it could be argued that your improve putting stats are simply down to the fact that the rest of your game has fallen down. Meaning less gir, which would likely lead to shorter putts after a chip.

At end of the day, we all have our own habits on the course and imo if you believe it helps, then it usually does. Confidence is key for amateurs.

Does a handicap drop after every lesson whether that is self taught via youtube or in person with a PGA pro? Does it drop every time you buy a new putter. It's a misnomer to suggest Aimpoint will lead to a lower handicap. It's a means to reading greens better which in turn with practice and decent putting mechanics will lead to better putts. It isn't a guarantee. I know there are other issues within my game that I'd argue are far more restrictive to reducing my handicap than aimpoint

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Does a handicap drop after every lesson whether that is self taught via youtube or in person with a PGA pro? Does it drop every time you buy a new putter. It's a misnomer to suggest Aimpoint will lead to a lower handicap. It's a means to reading greens better which in turn with practice and decent putting mechanics will lead to better putts. It isn't a guarantee. I know there are other issues within my game that I'd argue are far more restrictive to reducing my handicap than aimpoint

You’re trying to compare oranges with potatoes there......

club purchases and technique lessons are completely different.

I simply asked if you had tangiable proof. Which by your repsonse you don’t.
But as I said, if it gives you confidence then that’s all that matters.

D

Deleted member 16999

Not that red herring. Yes. Got down to 11 and now up to 14. Nothing to do with aimpoint as the putting has been perhaps the one consistent throughout averaging around 32-33 for the last four years. So much to do with the short game and the other issues
Why is it a red herring, if you’ve practised Aimpoint to the degree that it has had a detrimental affect on other parts of your game by you neglecting them, then you could argue without Aimpoint you’d be off 17.
Unfortunately as others have said, because of the negativity off some about Aimpoint, every question is looked at with suspicion!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Why is it a red herring, if you’ve practised Aimpoint to the degree that it has had a detrimental affect on other parts of your game by you neglecting them, then you could argue without Aimpoint you’d be off 17.
Unfortunately as others have said, because of the negativity off some about Aimpoint, every question is looked at with suspicion!

Why has aimpoint had a detrimental effect? I work on all aspect of my game as you know as a long time forum member. Just because I have struggled with poor short game (in particular) and a swing you and others have critiqued in person and on here as not being effective there are often poor holes that take me out of the buffer zone and a 0.1. What does that have to do with reading the green.

If someone hits a long drive but can also hit it way off line, one who hits it into sand and struggles to get out, or someone that misses too many greens in regulation is going to struggle to make a score. Aimpoint is not going to rectify that. It's simply a green reading skill. It works but if you want it to give you handicap cuts then sadly it's also reliant on all facets being in sync on any given day. Given that as a Cat 3 statistics show I should only hit a buffer around 29% (that's not getting cut, just not going up 0.1) on average that means 7/10 of the time I won't play to it. Aimpoint is only a sum of the total parts

D

Deleted member 16999

Why has aimpoint had a detrimental effect? I work on all aspect of my game as you know as a long time forum member. Just because I have struggled with poor short game (in particular) and a swing you and others have critiqued in person and on here as not being effective there are often poor holes that take me out of the buffer zone and a 0.1. What does that have to do with reading the green.

If someone hits a long drive but can also hit it way off line, one who hits it into sand and struggles to get out, or someone that misses too many greens in regulation is going to struggle to make a score. Aimpoint is not going to rectify that. It's simply a green reading skill. It works but if you want it to give you handicap cuts then sadly it's also reliant on all facets being in sync on any given day. Given that as a Cat 3 statistics show I should only hit a buffer around 29% (that's not getting cut, just not going up 0.1) on average that means 7/10 of the time I won't play to it. Aimpoint is only a sum of the total parts
I’m out, was asking if it had been detrimental and possibly saying proof for working hard at Aimpoint is your putting stats staying consistent while other parts had suffered.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site

TTTrilby Tour ;)

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hmmm
Just looked on PGA site for Justin Rose putting stats and it comes up with this.

PUTTING FROM 10' 36.67% 144TH
PUTTING FROM 4-8' 80.15% 1ST
PUTTING - INSIDE 10' 89.78% 6TH
PUTTING FROM - 10-15' 33.68% 38TH
PUTTING FROM - 15-20' 15.28% 173RD
PUTTING FROM - 20-25' 21.15% 2ND
PUTTING FROM - > 25' 5.11% 118TH
LONGEST PUTTS 39' 10" 247TH
APPROACH PUTT PERFORMANCE 2' 5" 159TH
AVERAGE DISTANCE OF PUTTS MADE 77' 5" 28TH
BIRDIE OR BETTER CONVERSION PERCENTAGE 36.01% 3RD

Which suggest these are correct with him being 6th the shots gained in putting at .678.

Did KAM say miniskirts.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’m out, was asking if it had been detrimental and possibly saying proof for working hard at Aimpoint is your putting stats staying consistent while other parts had suffered.
Homer, I'm not having a pop at you as I honestly would love to see you one day get back to single figures.

I think I read in your blog you religiously keep track of your stats. Does that highlight where you lose your shots?

See, I seem to remember you saying your shortgame was well on the up and the linear method for chipping, pitching, bunkers etc was a god send. With all that said if you're still hitting wonky long shots I'd expect your putting stats to have improved - less GIRs but more saves hence less total putts.

From the videos I watched a while ago your holing out looked solid (very solid for your handicap), however your longer putts all seemed to miss low (I think from your actual Aimpoint video). This I don't get, as I thought (but could be wrong) that one of the key things Aimpoint 'proves' is that amateur golfers generally play too little break - someone (Mendie?) mentioned you have to put outside of the apex to get a proper line?

This makes me doubt the benefit you are really getting from Aimpoint, though you are obviously a big fan of it.