Aimpoint

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I am afraid that I consider Aimpoint as just being a complicated pre-shot routine for putting. I suggest that if we all had a pre-putt routine that we used each and every time we had a putt - then the very fact of that routine would stop us rushing and being careless, and make us focus better - and more - on the line and weight of the putt to come. And with having that routine we would hole more putts. Bingo! Worked for me.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am afraid that I consider Aimpoint as just being a complicated pre-shot routine for putting. I suggest that if we all had a pre-putt routine that we used each and every time we had a putt - then the very fact of that routine would stop us rushing and being careless, and make us focus better - and more - on the line and weight of the putt to come. And with having that routine we would hole more putts. Bingo! Worked for me.

I can’t argue against that opinion at all. Respect your point of view and I would agree that if they were to do that instead of the quick look and hit it, they would make less mistakes and consequently shoot lower scores. But now we’re in the realms of the dreaded PSR debate tho. 🙄

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've read through the thread entirely again, where did anyone call you that?
Indeed

I
Are two "low" handicap golfers not happy that some people are questioning aimpoint? Do you think that you or aimpoint are above being questioned on a golf forum?

Two single figure players are advocates, congratulations on that. I know several who are not so drop the "elitist" poop.

I think it's a great discussion.

I have a few friends on the tours (European, Challenge & Europro).

Perhaps I should discount Aimpoint advice from the low players on here as they, although very good, are several leagues below? :confused:

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I'm going to take a guess that contrary to some beliefs on here, I reckon it's a fad and you won't see many pros doing at all in a couple of years.

What I'd like to know is the success rate of those using it to holed putts as it just strikes me, and I haven't read through the whole topic, just strikes me a sign of 1) desperation or 2) Just a poor reader of greens, i.e. putting 7/8/9/10 feet off line. Truth be told, I'd be a bit embarrassed to use it in the weekly medal unless I was holing everything.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We've all hit a putt a wee tad clumsy which has smacked the back of the cup and dropped but it's not usually the case, more often than not they'll not drop.
Where did you get the stats for that?

If it is just player's impressions, it has been reported that people tend to remember to bad incidents more than the good. So if it is actually 50/50, players would believe it is is 70/30 (say) that it stays out

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Where did you get the stats for that?

If it is just player's impressions, it has been reported that people tend to remember to bad incidents more than the good. So if it is actually 50/50, players would believe it is is 70/30 (say) that it stays out

I didn't quote or state statistics!

You on the other hand have!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm going to take a guess that contrary to some beliefs on here, I reckon it's a fad and you won't see many pros doing at all in a couple of years.

What I'd like to know is the success rate of those using it to holed putts as it just strikes me, and I haven't read through the whole topic, just strikes me a sign of 1) desperation or 2) Just a poor reader of greens, i.e. putting 7/8/9/10 feet off line. Truth be told, I'd be a bit embarrassed to use it in the weekly medal unless I was holing everything.

Sorry but I disagree. More and more pros are looking at the method on tour (even if they aren't actually using it on every putt yet, perhaps ahead of the green books going) and it isn't is desperation and if a player is that far off line then nothing is going to help and I suggest those figures are somewhat ludicrous. It goes back to what a few on here have said, it's those that have never even tried it that are most vocal and dismissive. I have no issue if someone tries it, even at a basic level and there are enough videos out there to give you the information, and then says it wasn't for them (and why). To refute it out of hand I find strange.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

It may be the case that it'll die out but only if something different that works better replaces it

Lots of people struggle with aspects of golf and have lessons, so why not poor green readers?

You'd be embarrassed? Not if you holed more putts, I reckon you'd soon get over it!

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Indeed

I have a few friends on the tours (European, Challenge & Europro).

Perhaps I should discount Aimpoint advice from the low players on here as they, although very good, are several leagues below? :confused:

Very good!! I’m far from that, I’m just average club golfer imo. The elite are scratch and above.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The me and my golf video was good. This thread has pretty much convinced me to book a course if it’s only £99.

Don’t expect I’d use it always, but I think the discussions around green reading, how courses are set up to have optical illusions etc would all be very interesting and useful for green reading as I’m often unsure. Unlikely more knowledge is going to make you worse!

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The me and my golf video was good. This thread has pretty much convinced me to book a course if it’s only £99.

Don’t expect I’d use it always, but I think the discussions around green reading, how courses are set up to have optical illusions etc would all be very interesting and useful for green reading as I’m often unsure. Unlikely more knowledge is going to make you worse!

your last line is what you’ll gain. I can’t speak for others who have done the course but I have a better understanding and I’m more knowledgeable about green reading then I have been before.

Take a look on you tube especially John Graham a certified Aimpoint instructor who delves into putt geometry, but his video on speed and line is interesting, especially if you think taking the break out of putts is a good idea.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
To refute it out of hand I find strange.

If it works for you or anyone else, that's great, I'm not dismissing it, not at all, it may well be a case similar to left below right, when that was first introduced it was seen as someone with putting issues, now it's very common, but like L below R and Long putters, it's not something I will try.

You'd be embarrassed? Not if you holed more putts, I reckon you'd soon get over it!

I did say I'd be interested to see stats on the success of it.

The fact of putting is, regardless of how anyone reads a putt, no matter what, you still have to hit it on the correct line with the correct pace.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
John Graham a certified Aimpoint instructor .
Certified. This the type of thing that rings alarm bells for most of us. Its giving a fake sense of seriousness and authority about something that, despite some of the claims her, is in no way proven. Its like some claiming they are a certified homeopathic practitioner. 'Certified' or not, its still total sloblocks.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You might be afraid of spelling it correctly but I’m not.

It ain’t total bollocks.

Moderators, I accept your infraction.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I did say I'd be interested to see stats on the success of it.

The fact of putting is, regardless of how anyone reads a putt, no matter what, you still have to hit it on the correct line with the correct pace.

Most of the people posting are absolutely amateur golfers so there are no real stats but almost everyone says that their green reading improved with the course. Justin Rose certainly has a marked improvement in putting and has been doing Aimpoint.

Of course we have to hit the right pace of putt for the line chosen, and we still miss our share, but I also know that the course was worthwhile and I learned a lot from it. I've had lessons on chipping and iron play with some pro's and they have been rubbish too, it's " you pays your money ....... "

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Excellent and I genuinely hope it's worthwhile for you and hope to hear your feedback.

Despite some nonsense posts it's generally a good discussion if people can make a considered decision about whether or not to try it. I know I've learned some useful info.

Incidentally, one of the Pros I mentioned has dabbled with it this season so I'll make sure to ask him his thoughta next time he's around

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do aimpointers always use a pure aimpoint read or do you fine tune the read before pulling the trigger.

By that i mean some slopes might be between 2 and 3 percent for example.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
The simple fact is, every putt is aimpoint, every putt is straight, pick a point, aim at it, hit the putt, no matter what you use, getting it in the hole in as few shots as possible is the object. I'll never use it, I'm not dissing it, but like long handled putters and L below R, it's not for me.