Aimpoint

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Honestly some of the people 'for it' are almost as bad as some of those 'against it' IMO

I think those who are for it just get brassed off by people who've not done it, or don't know ALL of the methods of reading it uses, from being so adamant that it doesn't work. Also, the suggestion that because we've done the course we should make every putt from everywhere

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
... or #11... are asking questions and having a sensible discussion to try and understand it in a bit more detail in order to make a balanced decision. You know, on a discussion forum of all places!

On the face of it some of the 'science' doesn't appear to stack up or actually be all that scientific, hence people are quite rightly challenging it.

Honestly some of the people 'for it' are almost as bad as some of those 'against it' IMO

Ok, science issue aside, the system works.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
One putt caught my eye also :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAdt5N960A4

Have a look at the putt at about 4:50.
He says "2 fingers outside the left, 5-6 inches'. And holes it. But line of the put, from the line of the first few feet of travel, and the total arc, makes it look as if the putter started it on an 'aimpoint' about 18 inches to the left.

Ill be generous and say the ball starts off at least 13in left of the hole

I added 3 extra holes for scale. The far left hole is the ''real'' hole.

Untitleduridrt.jpg

A big no-no in teaching is to describe a shot one way and then demonstrate it in a completely different way.
That is exactly what he did in the video.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ill be generous and say the ball starts off at least 13in left of the hole

I added 3 extra holes for scale. The far left hole is the ''real'' hole.

View attachment 25441

A big no-no in teaching is to describe a shot one way and then demonstrate it in a completely different way.
That is exactly what he did in the video.

It's just a crap video Bob, absolutely biased towards one thing.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I had a putt yesterday. About 10 foot. I could see it as a straight putt, or one that moved slightly. I could not be certain either way. I have not done aimpoint, but thought I would try straddling the line, see what the old feet told me.

Zip.

I went straight, the ball lipped out on the right. Only just, but a miss.

For those that do aimpoint, would you expect to pick up that level of swing?

pinberry

Club Champion
Visit site
I had a putt yesterday. About 10 foot. I could see it as a straight putt, or one that moved slightly. I could not be certain either way. I have not done aimpoint, but thought I would try straddling the line, see what the old feet told me.

Zip.

No. It's hard to pick up anything that slopes less than 0.5%, I would even say 1%. Also, you have to understand that holing a 10 footer is not easy. What tells you that you got your read wrong? Perhaps it was the right read but you pushed it. Or the ball jumped right. Or whatever. PGA Tour pros holed around 1/3 of 10 footers.

pinberry

Club Champion
Visit site
Speaking as someone with a Bsc with hons whos done an aimpoint course i'd put aimpoint on the semi quantitative scale.

The tv stuff is what i'd consider quantitaive.

FYI - AimPoint was born *exactly* to show the lines you see on TV. The adaptation to in-round use came later, once the TV lines were shown to work

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I seen James Robinson stand over a 4 foot putt on one of his vids last night, granted I can't see the slope on screen but he holed it and didn't look like it moved at all so what was the point of the stand astride the line from distance.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Zip.

No Murph, any putt read that's a 1% aim is inside the cup

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think those who are for it just get brassed off by people who've not done it, or don't know ALL of the methods of reading it uses, from being so adamant that it doesn't work. Also, the suggestion that because we've done the course we should make every putt from everywhere

Thanks, I get that and some people are obviously very antagonistic which doesn't help meaningful debate. I had a very basic understanding of it and have definitely learned more about it from this thread 👍

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ok, science issue aside, the system works.

Thanks. I definitely agree that slopes can be read through the feet and I'm a big believer in following a consistent and meticulous routine/process. It was the claims of it being proven by science that I couldn't quite understand. As it happens one of the lads I know on the Challenge Tour uses it and it has given him a lot of confidence which is showing in his improved results. Hard to quantify how much benefit he's got but he obviously believes in it 👍

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks. I definitely agree that slopes can be read through the feet and I'm a big believer in following a consistent and meticulous routine/process. It was the claims of it being proven by science that I couldn't quite understand. As it happens one of the lads I know on the Challenge Tour uses it and it has given him a lot of confidence which is showing in his improved results. Hard to quantify how much benefit he's got but he obviously believes in it 👍

No problem. I will PM you something shortly.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No. It's hard to pick up anything that slopes less than 0.5%, I would even say 1%. Also, you have to understand that holing a 10 footer is not easy. What tells you that you got your read wrong? Perhaps it was the right read but you pushed it. Or the ball jumped right. Or whatever. PGA Tour pros holed around 1/3 of 10 footers.

Or his speed was off.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Or his speed was off.

I am a pretty tidy putter. The pace was good, about a foot passed the hole, it didn't bobble, bounce, or suddenly vear off. It was a misread. I thought it was straight, and it wasn't. If I had gone left edge, i would have holed it, but if it had been straight, then it would have stayed out anyway, on that line.

If there was a way to read these, I would be all over it, but it appears there isn't.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
FYI - AimPoint was born *exactly* to show the lines you see on TV. The adaptation to in-round use came later, once the TV lines were shown to work

I am and was aware.

It doesnt alter the point.

The tv stuff has more exact figures than we can judge hence my description as quantitative.
The aimpoint chart, the ways u r taught to feel slope, judge speed and length are short of exact figures but these can all be learnt with a high degree of accuracy.

The chart i consider quantitative, the ability to judge speed pace and length highly accurately through practice and very simple techniques falling short of been an objectively quantitative measure but overall placing it well above qualitative analysis imo.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
With Aimpoint on you 10 feet or longer putts, you looking to stand astride the ball and take one or two reads down your intended line. With the 10 feet putts and under you stand astride you ball and then you can stand astride you line closer to the hole, obviously being wary of other players lines.

What Aimpoint cannot account for is a crowned hole, or any other subtleties within a couple of feet of the hole.

Like most of us you have to assume that the last couple of feet will be true relative to the line your ball is on.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am a pretty tidy putter. The pace was good, about a foot passed the hole, it didn't bobble, bounce, or suddenly vear off. It was a misread. I thought it was straight, and it wasn't. If I had gone left edge, i would have holed it, but if it had been straight, then it would have stayed out anyway, on that line.

If there was a way to read these, I would be all over it, but it appears there isn't.

I wasn’t doubting you, just pointing another factor out.

user2010

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
.…..and round and round and round and round.....:rolleyes:
Ffs mods please close this thread, it's getting ridiculous.:whistle:
The same arguments for and against for 13 pages and no resolution in sight.:blah: