Advice re Kilts from me north of the borders colonial cousins.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
So me kilt, sporran, ghillie shirt and socks have arrived. We had already decided that the night to wear them is Saturday night.
As with all things in my life, it then tends to go tits up. I will be sat in a pub in Scotland wearing my gear watching the England game. If England score, and it’s a big if. I will be one of only two people in Scotland Saturday night wearing a kilt that’s cheering. I don’t think I will get out alive. 😖
Well at least you were quite safe for 95 minutes lol

Where's all the photos?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH you can just buy a drinking kilt, ie one from the many tartan tat shops in any touristy part of Scotland. dozens of foreigners can be seen daily coming out wearing the Black what is probably the most common that and the Royal Stewart Stuart. Pretty cheap from memory tend to be synthetic rather than wool which can be very hot this time of year

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Never understood the dressing up in a different countries costumes just because you happen to be in that country. I have made exceptions for Oktoberfest but the majority of people there dress up. To be one of 2 or 3 in a pub in kilts seems a bit weird to me - after all, I suspect Tashy wouldn't dress up as a flamenco dancer when visiting Spain or a native Indian when visiting Texas. Why do it in Scotland?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Tbh, so long as it is worn correctly I don’t believe Scottish people in the main have an issue with it.

Cultural appropriation is more of an American thing.
I’m not so sure…I have a strong affection for my clan and its history, and a similar affiliation with my clan tartan and so might wonder what business anyone not of my clan or related sept would have in wearing it.

That said…the Black Watch is a military tartan rather than a clan tartan so the clan connections don’t really exist, and there are plenty of other such tartans.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’m not so sure…I have a strong affection for my clan and its history, and a similar affiliation with my clan tartan and so might wonder what business anyone not of my clan or related sept would have in wearing it.

That said…the Black Watch is a military tartan rather than a clan tartan so the clan connections don’t really exist, and there are plenty of other such tartans.
It's an item of clothing, I couldn't care less who wears what.

PaulMdj

Visit site

Probably why I said “Tbh, so long as it is worn correctly I don’t believe Scottish people in the main have an issue with it.”

Obviously some will and do object to “non-entitled” people wearing a kilt.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

I wouldn't get too uptight about it. As far as I understand, clan tartans only started to be developed in the first half of the 19th century.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Never understood the dressing up in a different countries costumes just because you happen to be in that country. I have made exceptions for Oktoberfest but the majority of people there dress up. To be one of 2 or 3 in a pub in kilts seems a bit weird to me - after all, I suspect Tashy wouldn't dress up as a flamenco dancer when visiting Spain or a native Indian when visiting Texas. Why do it in Scotland?
I know the pub he's going to. He'll be the only one in a kilt.😂