Advice on GPS on a budget

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm really getting serious about golf now and I want to start focusing on details like the yardage I am hitting and being as accurate as I can with this so I'm thinking about a GPS device. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg so I'm asking you guys for advice on what would be the best for around £100 (if that is doable).

I should say I have no problems going second hand.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
2nd hand Skycaddie SC2.5's come up on ebay from time to time at around 100-120quid + subscription. Several Apps are available if you have an iphone or Android phone and there are some new ones around £100. The colour screen ones will cost serious money.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've got a Shotmiser G300 that will be going in the for sale section soon.

Have a google of it and see what you think. It will be well under £100 :)

NickSwan

Club Champion
www.3goodshots.com
I'd also recommend getting a SkyCaddie SG 2.5 - had mine for around 18 months and love it! There is an annual membership to download their courses (which are accurately mapped by people walking the course), but this is only around £20 a year.

Cheers
Nick

DazYeo

Hacker
Visit site
I bought a Go Planet Mars 100 on ebay. Best bid offer of £80! It is a basic GPS but shows yardage to the front middle back of the green, and shows yardage hit. Tidy little unit.

I have just started playing too by the way.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why are you selling? They look good.

I was using it to great effect and liked it, when a 'cheap' SkyCaddie came up on here, so I bought it.

At the time the Shotmiser only automatically gave distance to the middle of the green, and you had to change holes yourself when you moved on.

I believe they've now had software updates to give front, middle, and back, and also automatically change holes when you move to the next tee.
The best thing about it is it's a colour screen and you can tap anywhere on it (I used the point of a tee) to get a distance to that point, and from that point to the green.

The thing I disliked about it was that the battery only lasted one round, and I'm a lazy so-and-so. :eek:

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use the Caddy Lite, they are available for £99.00 with a 'deluxe' model at £139 which comes with a leatherette case and bag clip, charging lead etc. I wouldn't bother with the deluxe as a usb mains lead is only a couple of quid on ebay and frankly the case int all that. It's been a good investment for me and there is no fiddling about with buttons on the course. You just tell it the hole you are starting on and thats it for the rest of the round. I love mine.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Thanks for all replies so far, it's good to know there is a range out there. All the units I see in magazines come up at around £300 but that's just way too much for someone of my ability.

How much are maps to obtain for units like the G300 which isn't made anymore?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It was £5 per course when I used mine. I would've thought that they would make the courses compatible with both models but an email to them would confirm that.

They have the best customer service that I've ever dealt with.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I've looked up reviews and it looks exactly what I'd be after. Good range of stats on there. I'd be very interested if you were selling.