Advantages for the flag being left in / out ?

D

Deleted member 23270

I've seen/read quite a few studies on this subject, the majority suggest you are better off with the flag out.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How? Why? I haven't seen any saying that.
Same here first one I can remember was Dave Pelz who could only look at strokes from off the green and concluded that you were better off with the flag in if the ball was going at the hole.
There shouldn't be any difference from a practical point of view of likelihood of shot falling on the position it was struck from.
Though I can see from a psychological point of view for short putts an empty hole may look more inviting.

Swango1980

Visit site
I don't like the flag left in for any putt I am having a go at. For me, it makes the hole seem smaller, and I subconsciously seem to aim more to the side of the pin, rather than the middle of the hole. So, I only generally have it left in for long putts, where I'm really trying to lag the putt.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I don't like the flag left in for any putt I am having a go at. For me, it makes the hole seem smaller, and I subconsciously seem to aim more to the side of the pin, rather than the middle of the hole. So, I only generally have it left in for long putts, where I'm really trying to lag the putt.
I'm the opposite..
I like the flag in as it means, on shorter putts, I can be more positive with the stroke, trying to hit the flag - not too hard.
It stops me decelerating on putts..and if I have hit it too hard then the ball is li,Ely to be lower to the hole after it hits the pin - pin out and it could go miles..
Its all personal preference..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm the opposite..
I like the flag in as it means, on shorter putts, I can be more positive with the stroke, trying to hit the flag - not too hard.
It stops me decelerating on putts..and if I have hit it too hard then the ball is li,Ely to be lower to the hole after it hits the pin - pin out and it could go miles..
I went through a phase of doing that. I must admit though, the one area it can come unstuck which is never covered when people do their tests and experiments - if the flag is leaning slightly off-centre. The ones where the ball doesn't drop but sits between the hole edge and the flag - I think if you hit them with a fraction more pace there's obviously more chance of it bouncing out rather than dropping. So just something to keep an eye out for I guess.

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm the opposite..
Indeed. For me, with the flag out, the hole just looks like a bucket (especially for those pesky 3/4 footers, where you are almost looking down on the hole)

D

Deleted member 23270

I'd love to find out but you wouldn't tell us where the articles were that tell us. :LOL:
I did.....search google :rolleyes: Try 'flagstick in or out' Like I said, it goes both ways but the majority suggest better off with pin out.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You need to look a bit harder then. If it's an advantage to leave the flag in why do the vast majority of pros take it out?
Habit. Superstition. Mistaken belief that it helps them. They are at work so have no consideratiin for slow play.

D

Deleted member 23270

Habit. Superstition. Mistaken belief that it helps them. They are at work so have no consideratiin for slow play.
Do you seriously think those are the reasons that guys who play for a living take the flag out?

Mandofred

Visit site
Do you seriously think those are the reasons that guys who play for a living take the flag out?
If it is such an obvious advantage to putt with the flag out, why would anybody putt with it in (well, accept for the folks who have trouble bending over:))?

Personally, regardless of most articles being leave flag in, I've always considered it about 50-50. If you are convinced it's better to leave it in, you will likely feel better about your putting if you leave it in, and the opposite as well. It's a game of confidence.....if you are convinced you play better with old stinky socks....you better keep doing it(y)

For those who claim taking the flag out makes the hole look a lot bigger.......I kind of get that....but are you looking at the hole when you putt, or the ball? I try to putt the ball on the line/direction I want....I'm not looking at the hole, so it's kind of irrelavent (to me....others disagree of course) how big the hole looks when I line it up.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Maybe just an irrational preferance for some as well.
But predominantly just habit. Its what they grew up with, in something they have spent countless hours of their lives at, and have excelled at. So there would be a resistance to change.
Maybe new generations will come along in years that are post obligatory flag out, and more and more will leave it in.