Advantages for the flag being left in / out ?

YandaB

Visit site
If I were smart enough....I'd do a poll.

*From 10 feet, you would leave the flag in.
*From 10 feet, you would take the flag out.
*From 10 feet, you would leave the flag in if it was a skinny flag.
*From 10 feet, you would take the flag out if it was a skinny flag.
You forgot one:
*From 10 feet, you are a lazy sod and will leave the flag exactly where it was. (certianly my vote and Slabs by the look of things)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The VAST majority of people I see on the course leave the flag in. I'm not saying they are right....it might just be laziness. Where did you get your "fewer" numbers from?
Not in my experience at my place. Maybe not 50/50, possibly 55/45 In. And many who leave it in say they do so as they can't be bothered taking it out or it makes no difference to them so as it's in when they reach the green they tend to leave it In, but would happily putt with it out if it was removed before their turn.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played today, most of the time the flag was out for shorter ones but there were two occasions on longer putts where the flag was left in and it definitely prevented the ball from dropping, One of them was one of mine! :mad:

There were no occasions today where the flag aided a ball in dropping which it otherwise would not have done.

This is irrefutable evidence and I rest my case m'lud.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played today, most of the time the flag was out for shorter ones but there were two occasions on longer putts where the flag was left in and it definitely prevented the ball from dropping, One of them was one of mine! :mad:

There were no occasions today where the flag aided a ball in dropping which it otherwise would not have done.

Ah but you were probably not playing a small ball...

Swango1980

Visit site
:eek::eek::eek: Who the hell are you playing with?
Sorry, I should have expanded that. All golfers actually do want to hole the putt, however they are not bothered about a marginal gain of about 0.1% on whether the flag makes it easier or harder to hole the putt physically, and they may not have any mental issues either way on the matter. So, if it is in, it is in and if it is out it is out. They just hit their putt and get on with it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you got the skinny flags??? Oh...I love them. Played (badly) at Moor Allerton on Wed....they have the skinny bottom flags....awesome. Doesn't seem like it would be that big of a cost to buy for the club.....and it pretty well solves that issue of flags causing the ball to stay out.
Yes. No need to ever take them out. Solves the bounce out issue.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I did
Read the article ?‍♂️

I did yes. But it does not answer the core question. It presents a headline figure and conclusion for a very specific test, which does not extrapolate to a full answer. It acknowledges that all 2 1/2" are holed regardless. Its test is based on a putt that is at a pace that has a miss passing the hole by 4 1/2". And is based on putts that are within the normal curve distribution of the hole diameter. In the real world, that is a very small % of all putts, which must be considered in an overall evaluation of the benefit or not to ones game of flag in or flag out. The ostensible conclusion that the 99.9% number indicates is that of course everyone should take the pin out. But if you remove <2.5" putts, and an integration tapering very high majority for ones longer than that, remove putts that are short of the hole, ones at a pace less than 4.5" passed the hole, and, ones that are outside the hole alltogether, then you are closer to real world.
I dont know the answer. But say it came out at one putt in a million from all the putts you hit would be gained, while a gain, is it still clear cut that you should pull the pin ?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

Was there ever any doubt?
It's this every time.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Have you got the skinny flags??? Oh...I love them. Played (badly) at Moor Allerton on Wed....they have the skinny bottom flags....awesome. Doesn't seem like it would be that big of a cost to buy for the club.....and it pretty well solves that issue of flags causing the ball to stay out.

Yes we have, and I can assure you that they still lead to the occasional bounce out, and that can happen on near dead weight putts.

Mandofred

Visit site
Yes we have, and I can assure you that they still lead to the occasional bounce out, and that can happen on near dead weight putts.
If you hit the putt the correct speed, the chances of the ball bouncing off (out of the hole) a normal size flag stick is practically nill.....off a skinny bottom flag stick, less than that. I am assuming you don't want to hit the ball more than a foot past the hole.....now, if you want to hit the ball 5 feet past the hole I can see it bouncing out.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
If you hit the putt the correct speed, the chances of the ball bouncing off (out of the hole) a normal size flag stick is practically nill.....off a skinny bottom flag stick, less than that. I am assuming you don't want to hit the ball more than a foot past the hole.....now, if you want to hit the ball 5 feet past the hole I can see it bouncing out.

Well the correct speed is apparently more than a foot past the hole so your assumption is incorrect.

Having played with skinny pins and seen it happen at reasonable pace, I’ll be taking them out for the short ones.

Mandofred

Visit site
Well the correct speed is apparently more than a foot past the hole so your assumption is incorrect.

Having played with skinny pins and seen it happen at reasonable pace, I’ll be taking them out for the short ones.
So.....a few inches further than I suggested. I'd say it was about what I was suggesting. 17" past the hole....ball isn't going to be going fast enough to deflect out. A chance maybe, but almost nil. With skinny flag....not at all. I don't know how many people I've seen hit their putt way too hard.....clangs off the flag and declare it would have gone in if the flag wasn't there. I've rarely seen a ball clang off when hit anywhere near the correct speed (17" past according to Pelz). I can't remember it ever happening to me. Ever.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
So.....a few inches further than I suggested. I'd say it was about what I was suggesting. 17" past the hole....ball isn't going to be going fast enough to deflect out. A chance maybe, but almost nil. With skinny flag....not at all. I don't know how many people I've seen hit their putt way too hard.....clangs off the flag and declare it would have gone in if the flag wasn't there. I've rarely seen a ball clang off when hit anywhere near the correct speed (17" past according to Pelz). I can't remember it ever happening to me. Ever.

It may not have happened to you (but you concede it has rarely happened to others); it has happened to me and others I play with. So I’ll keep taking it out for shorter ones.