Advantages for the flag being left in / out ?

D

Deleted member 23270

So.....a few inches further than I suggested. I'd say it was about what I was suggesting. 17" past the hole....ball isn't going to be going fast enough to deflect out. A chance maybe, but almost nil. With skinny flag....not at all. I don't know how many people I've seen hit their putt way too hard.....clangs off the flag and declare it would have gone in if the flag wasn't there. I've rarely seen a ball clang off when hit anywhere near the correct speed (17" past according to Pelz). I can't remember it ever happening to me. Ever.
Happened to me a couple of weeks ago in a competition. I putted from just off the green and hit the flag dead centre and it bounced out. It would have gone 9 to 12 inches past the hole. Flag out every time for me thank you very much.

Mandofred

Visit site
Happened to me a couple of weeks ago in a competition. I putted from just off the green and hit the flag dead centre and it bounced out. It would have gone 9 to 12 inches past the hole. Flag out every time for me thank you very much.
Fair enough...if you are convinced it's better for you, then it is. It's never happened to me, nor have I seen it happen to anybody who hit the ball the correct speed. Ball going too fast....yep, seen that plenty of times.

Mandofred

Visit site
It may not have happened to you (but you concede it has rarely happened to others); it has happened to me and others I play with. So I’ll keep taking it out for shorter ones.
Whatever way works for you....I'm fine with that. I've seen a lot more balls stay in the hole from hitting the flag going too fast than balls that hit the flag at close to the correct speed and clang off. Many many more times. I'm convinced that leaving it in makes diddly-poo of difference....you're convinced it is the other way. Can't you live with that?.....I can. I played with an old work buddy today and he liked the flag out.....I've no issue with that since he prefers it that way. I just putted out first so we didn't have to do the flag in, then out dance.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Whatever way works for you....I'm fine with that. I've seen a lot more balls stay in the hole from hitting the flag going too fast than balls that hit the flag at close to the correct speed and clang off. Many many more times. I'm convinced that leaving it in makes diddly-poo of difference....you're convinced it is the other way. Can't you live with that?.....I can. I played with an old work buddy today and he liked the flag out.....I've no issue with that since he prefers it that way. I just putted out first so we didn't have to do the flag in, then out dance.

I probably could live with it if you stopped trying to convince me I’m wrong. ?

Mandofred

Visit site
I probably could live with it if you stopped trying to convince me I’m wrong. ?
I think you are just looking for reasons to be insulted...... I've said it before in this thread, I'll say it again. If a person is convinced it is better to take the flag out, it is for them. If a person is convinced that it is better to leave the flag in, it is for them. As I said in the previous post.....which you didn't read?.....I think leaving the flag in or out makes diddly-poo of difference. How is that me trying to convince you one way or another?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fair enough...if you are convinced it's better for you, then it is. It's never happened to me, nor have I seen it happen to anybody who hit the ball the correct speed. Ball going too fast....yep, seen that plenty of times.

There is a stigma now though for flag out people. As a contributor to longer rounds, and just the annoyance of those odd men out when you are paired with one.

I have some sympathy though as golf is a game of habit and tradition and if you have been doing it one way for decades its not always that easy to change.

But I can see flag becoming a rarity with the passing of years, and new golfers without the baggage come into the game. I would like to see the pro tours make a rule for flag in only, which would accelerate flag out elimination for golfers in general.

D

Deleted member 23270

There is a stigma now though for flag out people. As a contributor to longer rounds, and just the annoyance of those odd men out when you are paired with one.

I have some sympathy though as golf is a game of habit and tradition and if you have been doing it one way for decades its not always that easy to change.

But I can see flag becoming a rarity with the passing of years, and new golfers without the baggage come into the game. I would like to see the pro tours make a rule for flag in only, which would accelerate flag out elimination for golfers in general.
How much time does taking the flag out add to a round?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
@Smiffy would have matched my birdie on the 10th at Cooden if he'd had the flag out. Sadly, he had to settle for par.
I always have the flag taken out for putts less than 8 foot, although sometimes I'll leave it in if it's downhill!
If people want it left in, I'll leave it in. If rhey want it out, I'll remove it for them without any complaint.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd like to see the flag-in rule rescinded.
Can't really agree with this. Having to have the flag attended for long putts was a pain and it lets everyone go to their putts without someone having to attend the flag.
Can't see any practical advantages to rescinding it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
@Smiffy would have matched my birdie on the 10th at Cooden if he'd had the flag out. Sadly, he had to settle for par.
I always have the flag taken out for putts less than 8 foot, although sometimes I'll leave it in if it's downhill!
If people want it left in, I'll leave it in. If rhey want it out, I'll remove it for them without any complaint.
That's pretty close to what I do now. Whether the flag actually keeps the ball out is immaterial really, by taking it out you remove the possibility of you thinking about it keeping the ball out. Nothing in the way, nothing in your mind except the hole. ??

Albo

Visit site
I’ve always struggled with leaving the pin in. Mentally to me it makes the hole seem smaller, though I know it’s not the case. I struggle to aim at the middle of the hole as there is a flag there. It makes no sense. I am getting there, slowly, I play on my own a fair bit so taking it out all the time is a pain.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't like the flag in and will remove it as soon as I can. Played a course the other week with the flag sticks that were really thin and tapered at the bottom. They were much better.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
On 1st green yesterday my random drawn group of three all agreed we preferred to have flag out and that that would be our default. Flag out is in my experience becoming much more common.

May have something to do with our new very stiff fibreglass ‘javelin’ style flag sticks. They look classy and are very firm in the cup and really don‘t sway in the wind at all. But they do ‘seem’ a little bit bulkier in the hole - and certainly present a very solid thing for a ball to bounce off if the putt is ‘heavy’. But that does not always mean deflecting the ball out as the tapering of the bottom of the flagstick will tend to deflect the ball down. Of course that was never going to be an issue or concern for the three of us yesterday.

Last edited:

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Well the correct speed is apparently more than a foot past the hole so your assumption is incorrect.
I've heard this before (correct pace is 18" past), but it doesn't make sense to me.
Doesn't matter for putts into the centre of the cup, but for putts that arrive at the edge, a dead weight one will drop while one with a bit more pace is likely to go on past.