A-Z vinyl collection

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My Us are pretty straightforward...

3rd - erm...(it would be UB40 with Present Arms if I allowed myself to repeat a band)
2nd - U2 with The Joshua Tree (1987). I was not a U2 fan but bought this off the back of 'I Still haven't Found what I'm Looking For' - and I loved the album. Maybe a bit dated now - but that single still shivers my timbers when turned up loud.
1st - UB40 with Signing Off (1980) I can remember thinking that - wow that's different - ska from a basically white Brummie band - hard hitting lyrics - and followed by Present Arms before they got a bit poppy-soppy. This has travelled through time very well indeed.

Vs - hmmm - well off top of heid there's Suzanne Vega. Will give it a spin...

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I missed UB40 - I have their greatest hits! I couldn't see past U2. I have a couple of theirs but wasn't that impressed after the Joshua Tree.

Definitely Vega for me. EDIT: maybe a bit of Vangelis!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I missed UB40 - I have their greatest hits! I couldn't see past U2. I have a couple of theirs but wasn't that impressed after the Joshua Tree.

Definitely Vega for me. EDIT: maybe a bit of Vangelis!
Ah - has me wondering if I can include Jon and Vangelis - Short Stories. Damn it all - I'm going to listen to it in any case.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The largest part of my vinyl collection -

Van Halen - Van Halen I
Van Halen - Van Halen II
Van Halen - Women and Children First
Van Halen - Fair Warning
Van Halen - Diver Down
Van Halen - 1984

Went to CD after that.

For a bit of variety -

Steve Vai - Passion and Warfare

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hmmm. I’ve found a track by The Vibrators on my Sounds like a good Album to us (1976) compilation. ‘He’s a Psycho‘ is just pure unadulterated punk - and the only pure punk track I’ve got on vinyl.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The largest part of my vinyl collection -

Van Halen - Van Halen I
Van Halen - Van Halen II
Van Halen - Women and Children First
Van Halen - Fair Warning
Van Halen - Diver Down
Van Halen - 1984

Went to CD after that.

For a bit of variety -

Steve Vai - Passion and Warfare

Is 'van' a bit akin to selecting 'the' ? ( I know it it is not the actual translation of Van)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Guitarist Eddie Van Halen and his drummer brother Alex were both born in the Netherlands so I guess it must be a Dutch thing.

In Dutch doing a literal translation van is usually used in the middle as per your example and means of e.g son of the father

It gets moved around in some languages e.g you may have Van der... Of the.