A-Z vinyl collection

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Trick of the Tail for me, Ripples being my fav track.
Thing is - I came slightly later to the party than some and started with Selling England, I then bought a box set of Trespass and Nursery Cryme.

Foxtrot came with Selling England and so I didn't buy that box set - and for some reason never got around to buying Foxtrot - money was v tight back then...and why I never bought The Lamb - but taped it from a mate's LP.

Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Selling England, A Trick of the Tail, Wind & Wuthering, Then there were Three - got that lot on vinyl - but no Foxtrot until about four years ago when I found it in a charity shop.

And I just can't get into it in anything like the way I know the rest inside out. I know it is many Gabriel era Genesis fans favourite, but it doesn't resonate in anything like the same way as any of the rest. And so it won't appear today...

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
for bands with two names....e.g Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Jethro Tull….are we using the initial of the first name or the initial of the name that many folks would recognise? (you could refer to all three of the aforementioned bands by their 2nd name and most folks would know exactly who you were talking about) ????

If it's an individual artist, first letter of the surname; if it's a band, first letter of the band name; if the band names starts with The, drop the The & start with the first letter of the next word.

So today, Buddy Guy, Peter Green, Marvin Gaye; Gallagher & Lyle; yesterday, The Fratellis would have qualified (apparently there are no bands that start The G... :oops:)

Unless you're Homer who is playing George Benson today :unsure: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

IanMcC

Visit site
This will almost certainly be the only letter where I quote something already posted by the AOR brigade on here. G is for Peter Gabriel.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
If it's an individual artist, first letter of the surname; if it's a band, first letter of the band name; if the band names starts with The, drop the The & start with the first letter of the next word.

So today, Buddy Guy, Peter Green, Marvin Gaye; Gallagher & Lyle; yesterday, The Fratellis would have qualified (apparently there are no bands that start The G... :oops:)

Unless you're Homer who is playing George Benson today :unsure::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Surely you aren't forgetting "The Gonads" :oops::cool:

Saw The Fratelli's at PennFest about 3 years ago, they were really good

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
for bands with two names....e.g Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Jethro Tull….are we using the initial of the first name or the initial of the name that many folks would recognise? (you could refer to all three of the aforementioned bands by their 2nd name and most folks would know exactly who you were talking about) ????
It's a tricky one - but for me it's the bands name rather than what I might know it as.

However I've problems with the work The at the start of a band's name. I've taken the view that such as The Stranglers are an S, The Jam are a J and The Beat are a B. Whereas The Big Dish would be a T. I guess I am thinking that in speech the word 'The' in the context of The Stranglers has a grammatical meaning (I can't remember what sort of article, preposition or whatever it is) referring to the word Stranglers - whereas the word The in The Big Dish is actually part of the name of the group in a different sort of way that I can't really explain. So I'm just sticking with what feels right for me - logical or no.

Meanwhile I have 5G and I have to get them down to 3G...

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Well every day is a school day! My first impression was nah you've got that wrong, it was Chester Thompson. But I googled it and you are absolutely right, Thompson played drums on every track APART from Cinema Show. Very strange, you don't happen to know the reason by any chance?
Bruford sat in with Genesis for a very short period. My guess is that Seconds Out was compiled from a variety of live recordings, and Cinema Show happened to be one from earlier in the tour before Chester Thompson took over from Bruford. (Maybe there were two separate tours?)

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

Unless you're Homer who is playing George Benson today :unsure::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ex Moody Blues drummer Graeme Edge had his own band called The Graeme Edge Band. There was the all girl band featuring Belinda Carlisle - The Go Go's

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Ex Moody Blues drummer Graeme Edge had his own band called The Graeme Edge Band. There was the all girl band featuring Belinda Carlisle - The Go Go's

Obviously Google is not to be trusted. :LOL: I should have remembered Belinda Carlisle, although that wouldn't have been entirely down to her contribution to music... ;)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Thing is - I came slightly later to the party than some and started with Selling England, I then bought a box set of Trespass and Nursery Cryme.

Foxtrot came with Selling England and so I didn't buy that box set - and for some reason never got around to buying Foxtrot - money was v tight back then...and why I never bought The Lamb - but taped it from a mate's LP.

Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Selling England, A Trick of the Tail, Wind & Wuthering, Then there were Three - got that lot on vinyl - but no Foxtrot until about four years ago when I found it in a charity shop.

And I just can't get into it in anything like the way I know the rest inside out. I know it is many Gabriel era Genesis fans favourite, but it doesn't resonate in anything like the same way as any of the rest. And so it won't appear today...

My first album was Then there were three (1977?). I then worked back over before any new albums came out. I do like Seconds Out, and I often put the Live in Rome on from YouTube. Not awfully keen on most of their 80's onwards stuff.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
My first album was Then there were three (1977?). I then worked back over before any new albums came out. I do like Seconds Out, and I often put the Live in Rome on from YouTube. Not awfully keen on most of their 80's onwards stuff.
My introduction to Genesis was a bit unusual.
I really liked Brand X and then the thought crossed my mind "I wonder what Phil Collins' other band is like?".

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Another all-girl band was The Guest Stars. Put out 3 rather good jazz albums in the mid 80s. AFAIK they were never released on CD.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just had a short lunchtime listen to an oddity in the G-category. Roger Glover's The Butterfly Ball and the Grasshoppers Feast. Yes - Glover of DP. With guests of the calibre of David Coverdale, Ronnie Dio and Jon Lord. A real curio - and though a few good tracks (you'll recognise 'Love is All' and 'Sitting in a Dream' is a nice ballad that sounds very Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Centre... or King Arthur - if only Rick had engaged Dio to sing on them...)... it's not going to be in the frame.

Youtube Dio with Deep Purple & Orchestra

Last edited:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Obviously Google is not to be trusted. :LOL: I should have remembered Belinda Carlisle, although that wouldn't have been entirely down to her contribution to music... ;)

Just had a browse for something else to listen to under G and found The Georgia Satellites!!

and in doing so I've just realised that tomorrow is going to be tough with plenty of great H's to choose from.