A question about course rating

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
We would like a course rating for our yellows tees for female players, we have been told that it cant be done because the course is over 6000yds. It doesn't seem right to me and I am wondering if our men's handicap secretary is just trying to fob us off.

Can anyone tell me if there is any truth in what he says.

D

Deleted member 15344

We would like a course rating for our yellows tees for female players, we have been told that it cant be done because the course is over 6000yds. It doesn't seem right to me and I am wondering if our men's handicap secretary is just trying to fob us off.

I believe the Dukes red Tee at Woburn is over 6000 yards and that’s rated so I can’t see there being any truth in it but worth contacting the county to confirm

yandabrown

Visit site

Nonsense. We have had our yellows rated and they are almost 6400. Slope is something like 146 and Course Rating is over 5 higher.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I think there is some truth as really only a handful of players would use it very infrequently and rating a course is not a short time frame exercise. I would also ask ‘why’?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think there is some truth as really only a handful of players would use it very infrequently and rating a course is not a short time frame exercise. I would also ask ‘why’?

Some of us would like to play of the yellows sometimes and if we are going towards gender neutral tees then surely it should be done.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Surely whether it would get used is a completely different argument to "it's over 6000 yards"?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Sheringham Golf Club (Norfolk) has had all tees rated for both Male and Female players. The Whites are 6251yds Par 75 CR 76.4 Slope 132 for Ladies. Trentham Park (Staffordshire) has apparently also been rated for both sexes, with 2 sets of tees over 6k yards. But I couldn't confirm Ratings.
A 2015 article here https://www.englandgolf.org/teeing-up-the-gender-free-way/
I think your H'Cap Sec is fobbing you off! Kaz probably states it better!:eek:

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
yes it does seem as he is trying to shine us on, I originally asked and was told there would bew no interest and now someone else has asked and he has come up with the 6000yd thing.
Thanks for all the replies which confirm what I thought.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Nonsense. If he tries to tell you it is too expensive - it's free. The county raters could be busy but they can give you a temporary rating which lasts 2 years

Get in touch with your Association.
Telephone: 0161 270 3824
Email: secretary@llcga.org
The county raters could be busy but they can give you a temporary rating which lasts 2 years

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have just gone through the process of getting our yellow tee course (6,032 yards) rated for female players. Not difficult. In a couple of weeks we will have a mixed gender competition where men can choose any of 4 tees (blue, white, yellow, red) and ladies can select yellow or red. I expect that only 2 ladies will enter but at least we're trying to promote the spirit of modern day golf.

wjemather

Visit site
We have just gone through the process of getting our yellow tee course (6,032 yards) rated for female players. Not difficult. In a couple of weeks we will have a mixed gender competition where men can choose any of 4 tees (blue, white, yellow, red) and ladies can select yellow or red. I expect that only 2 ladies will enter but at least we're trying to promote the spirit of modern day golf.
Unfortunately, the same cannot be said in all counties. All our comps are now mixed, but due to the refusal of county to do any (re)rating until 2026, men and women are restricted to playing from the same gendered tees.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately, the same cannot be said in all counties. All our comps are now mixed, but due to the refusal of county to do any (re)rating until 2026, men and women are restricted to playing from the same gendered tees.
Bypassing the county, England golf can issue temporary ratings.

I suspect writing to EG and 'copying in' the county may embarrass the county into getting their finger out. Especially re multi gender.

wjemather

Visit site
Bypassing the county, England golf can issue temporary ratings.

I suspect writing to EG and 'copying in' the county may embarrass the county into getting their finger out. Especially re multi gender.
We're hoping not to have to resort to anything like that, but we may have to if it drags on much longer.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I know its been debunked already but I knew most courses here were rated for both so just had a look at the longer ones for women from the back tees (each around 7500yrds):

Par 72 CR 83.2 Slope 148
Par 72 CR 82.3 Slope 150
Par 72 CR 83.1 Slope 149

:eek:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know its been debunked already but I knew most courses here were rated for both so just had a look at the longer ones for women from the back tees (each around 7500yrds):

Par 72 CR 83.2 Slope 148
Par 72 CR 82.3 Slope 150
Par 72 CR 83.1 Slope 149

:eek:
So am I right in thinking that in a mixed Comp they would receive an additional 10 or 11 shots after the Slope calc? Then 95% if an individual Comp.

wjemather

Visit site
So am I right in thinking that in a mixed Comp they would receive an additional 10 or 11 shots after the Slope calc? Then 95% if an individual Comp.
The mixed tee allowance would depend on the CR for men, which I expect would be about 76 for a 7500 yard course (possibly higher).

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

No idea what it'd work out in shots, but if a scratch player is expecting to shoot 11 over it'll be a fair few shots

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That would depend on their handicap and what you are comparing 'additional' to!
But a Female with HI of scratch would be 'expected' to shoot 83; 82; 83 resp and one with HI of 12 would have CH of 16; HI of 24, then CH of 32. So 'expected' scores woud be 99, 98, 99 (12 capper) and 115, 114, 115 (24 capper).
Simply another reason why par is somewhat irrelevant!

wjemather

Visit site
...a Female with HI of scratch would be 'expected' to shoot 83; 82; 83 resp and one with HI of 12 would have CH of 16; HI of 24, then CH of 32. So 'expected' scores would be 99, 98, 99 (12 capper) and 115, 114, 115 (24 capper).
This isn't true since golfers only play to handicap (or better) about 1/5 of the time, on average. Their expected scores are at least a stroke or two higher than this.