A game (round) of two halves......

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Due to family and work the amount of golf I play is limited and the quality of play has become increasingly random. That said it’s nice to get out when I can, if also become more relaxed about my scoring as I don’t have much time for practice.

Anyway, managed to get out in the members roll up at my old club yesterday and scored 37 points. Very pleased given the amount I’ve been playing however what made the score more impressive was standing on the 10th tee with 10 points! 27 on the back, was like two separate golfers had played each of the 9’s.

Anyone else had this? Or the other way round where you stand on the 10th with 20+ points only to see the wheels come off and you struggle to get over the 30 mark?

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
All the time.
Went round our place a few weeks back - 10 over on the front, level par coming back
Cracking scoring on the the back 9 there R2R..:thup::clap:

D

Deleted member 16999

Seen it happen both ways, bad front nine, some relax, enjoy the golf, play better.
Good front nine, notice the score, start thinking about winning, getting cut, nerves, tense.......
Tried taking the advice on here this season of playing one shot, one hole at a time and have put better scores together.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
last round at my course was very much a game of two halves,front nine contained 2x7 ,1x8,1x9 it was like i didnt know which end of the club to hold ,the back nine was like someone flicked a switch ,one over par gross and that was bogey bogey finnish at 17 and 18.

frustrating game this golf.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Mine tends to be a decent 14/15 holes then the wheels fall of massively finishing with four blobs or three blobs, but ending up in the buffer zone. Once I could accept. But he last half a dozen rounds. It's doing me trolley in.

D

Deleted member 18588

Couple of years back in Whittington Heath Seniors Open.

After 11 holes 12 points.

After 18 holes 38 points.

£70 voucher as I won my div, on countback!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Mine tends to be a decent 14/15 holes then the wheels fall of massively finishing with four blobs or three blobs, but ending up in the buffer zone. Once I could accept. But he last half a dozen rounds. It's doing me trolley in.

Been there. So annoying when you can see a buffer or better still a cut coming and then chucking it away. It never seems to be the same hole that causes me issues, never the same mistake but it feels I'm playing Russian roulette in my comp rounds just waiting for that big score to come

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Been there. So annoying when you can see a buffer or better still a cut coming and then chucking it away. It never seems to be the same hole that causes me issues, never the same mistake but it feels I'm playing Russian roulette in my comp rounds just waiting for that big score to come
Amen to that Homer, had a natter with our head green keeper about it. He plays of 2-3 hcap. Anyway he said the more often you put your self in that position the more it will happen that " the round " happens. Would love to think so but I think with me, one bad hole is quickly followed by another. One bad shot is followed by another. Eg smashed a drive which was followed by a pulled three wood. Played a drop as original is still in Sherwood Forest somewhere. Only went and did exactly the same thing with provisional. Why did I not lay up with an iron, why did I not lay up with an iron in the first place. Sometimes my problem is not bad shots but bad 20 hcap shot decisions.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Here's a game of 2 halves; 8 over the front 9 (2 over my handicap).

18 over the back 9. Including an 8 on a par 4 and a 12 on a par 5.

This game makes me frustrated!

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Two weekends back playing a comp; had 15 points front nine and 26 points back nine - back nine is deemed harder by most and to cap things off I birdied the SI 1 hole for 5 points :eek: Ending up coming runner up which genuinely didn't bother me, unfortunately CSS was high that day so only got a 0.9 cut for my troubles :(

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
that's the intriguing thing about the game, you can shoot the lights out for half the round and play like a person who has never picked a club up in there life before for the other:(

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I did have a strange one earlier this year. We went out in dismal conditions, swirling rain, but I had a cracking front nine of 39 (6 over par). The rain actually eased off and it brightened up on the back nine, but I could only manage to complete it in 52 (17 over). Total 34 points, 23 front & 11 back.