A few questions

Rookie86

Hacker
Visit site
This weekend I'm hoping to get out there and buy my first set of clubs but before I do I thought I would ask you guys a few questions to help me out a little.

1), Where in my area would you recommend I go to get a good deal on my first set of clubs? (I live in Co.Durham//Teesside)

2), Would I be best to look at brand-new or secondhand clubs?

3), Am I better going with off the rack clubs or paying extra and getting fitted?

4), If I was to get fitted where would you recommend I go for a fitting in my area, also what can I expect at a fitting, do they cost much and am I obligated to buy at the end of a fitting?

If anyone else feels like adding anymore advice in this area it would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd go with second hand as a first set, but if you can comfortably afford new then as long as you get something that suits you then it should last longer than most people on here stick with clubs if you want them to.

Fitting shouldn't cost extra. Some places will charge you maybe £25 or so but take it off the cost of any clubs you buy from them.

At a minimum they should get you hitting shots from a lie board to see if you need clubs flatter or more upright than standard, and also recommend a suitable shaft flex for your swing.
The lie board involves putting a paper sticker on the bottom of the club then hitting balls from the lie board. The board makes a mark on the paper where they come into contact so they can tell which part of the sole is hitting the floor.

If you're new to golf then the chances are your swing will change as you improve and you may well need fitting again in the future. However, if you're serious about buying clubs now then you may as well get fitted for the swing you have now if it won't cost you any more.

If you buy second hand you probably won't get the advantage of custom fitting, unless you buy Ping who I've heard will fit second hand clubs to you after you've bought them.

I can't help with the 'where' though.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
First clubs can be a very hit or miss affair. Mine were a miss. A set of Dunlop RMS's. Though to be honest, I took no lessons. So not surprising really!

Budget certainly comes into it, but is not the be all and end all. After playing for a bit you'll get to know more and can make an educated stab at what will suit you. But for now, I'd go for something forgiving and more importantly, have a course of lessons.

If your average height etc most off the shelf clubs would be fine to start off with, either new or pre-owned.

All is of course, just my opinion.

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm not sure of what's available in your area but if I were you:

I'd go for second hand clubs in the first instance, it'll keep the cost lower and you can see if you actually like playing this game called golf.

Of course if money is no object then buy new, but if you buy new then get some lessons first after buying one or two clubs second hand and then get fitted.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My advice would be to try and call a few pros and see what clubs (used) they have in stock and whether you can try them first. Failing that go to any of the big names (American Golf, Nevada Bob) but be wary. AG in particular will do anything to stop you buying 2nd hand and will try and flog Nicklaus, Yonex, Hogan or Wilson. They probably won't have that big a selection of 2nd hand stock either.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about fitting. The only thing I'd look at is the shaft and make sure it wasn't too firm. At this time a regular shaft will probably be ok unless you have a very quick swing speed. Again AG aren't the best at offering a comprehensive custom fitting and they can be very poor and frankly wrong with the advice they give.

If you have the budget there are a lot of good irons out there from slightly lesser known brands like MD golf and Benross which will give you a very functional set of irons at a decent price. Again try and hit them (ideally on a range and not in an indoor bay) before you buy

Rookie86

Hacker
Visit site
I've had seven lessons so far since I started getting in to golf (once weekly) and I have my first playing lesson next week. I practice my swing everyday except weekends at the range and go through the drills my Pro has taught me. So far I have only hit Irons, Wedges and Hybrids so no Putter or Wood/Driver work just yet. I am around 5'7" tall and of average build.

Moneys not so much of an issue as long as I'm getting value for money and not going to have to change them in the next 12-18 months (the Mrs. would kill me), I'm open to all brands and don't mind building my club collection up over the next few months, I love practicing so I'm happy to do that until I have a full set ready to go out and play on the course.

Thank you for your replies so far, is anyone able to advise on fitters in my area because I feel that I would be best going down that route to get the best out of my first set of clubs.

goldenbare

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Don't be tempted to go just for well known names at the beginning, give some budget ones a try, I've tried some of my friends and felt impressed by the balance and struck the balls as well as my previous mizunos. (See my signature for my current problem) whatever you do make sure you hit some balls with them and more than just the one club you're normally given at the shop/range. Whatever happens, you will always be looking out for the next set! Good hunting

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi i'm from your neck of the woods and i'd reccomend either tim jenkins at ingleby barwick, they have a big slection of all brands and alot of 2nd hand clubs and can also do a full custom fitting or there is also a driving range/shop in yarm that aint quite got as big as a selection but they also do full custom fitting and are very reasonable.

They both have websites but not sure if i'm allowed to advertise them on here?

So message me if you want the name of the websites for the places above.

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another recommendation for Tim Jenkins here, probably the best selection in the area, both new and 2nd hand. Can also do a good custom fit.

If your willing to travel a little further, then Snainton Golf just outside Scarborough. They are a Mizuno Regional Fitting Centre, so in the future when you do decide to buy new if you fancy going down the Mizuno route (best route to take) then these are definitely worth considering.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think you're already in trouble.
12-18 months will almost certainly see you looking at new clubs particularly if you develop a quick swing.
I suppose it's possible to be fitted then opt for the 'best fit' secondhand - 'I've economised by buying secondhand as I'm sure to need to change to a different spec as I develop' - <u>might</u> earn a brownie point or two.

Rookie86

Hacker
Visit site
I will give Tim Jenkins a try this weekend and see what he recommends for me.

A friend has told me that I would be silly to buy clubs now and would be best to wait until mid/late Jan early Feb before I do. What do you guys think??

I have also been advised to try Philips Golf in Newcastle, does anyone have any experience with them??

lordingsy

Club Champion
Visit site
Another +1 for Tim Jenkins. Lots of choice. And if you do fancy a run up Scarborough way then the Snainton Golf is supposed to be excellent. According to the pro at the muni its the best stocked shop he has seen.

On another note. Where you playing your golf at? None of my mates play golf and I wouldnt mind having a knock with someone. Or even a few north easteners.

Chris

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would personally wait for a C/F set at this time but would be looking to just ensure whether I needed regular or stiff shafts. If you wait until the start of next year then a few of the manufacturers will no doubt bring new clubs out for the new season. Not only would you have the choice of those and the ones recently out (Ping, Mizzy, TM, Nike etc) but the older models should start to come down in price

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another +1 for Tim Jenkins. Lots of choice. And if you do fancy a run up Scarborough way then the Snainton Golf is supposed to be excellent. According to the pro at the muni its the best stocked shop he has seen.

On another note. Where you playing your golf at? None of my mates play golf and I wouldnt mind having a knock with someone. Or even a few north easteners.

Chris

I'd be up for having a knock with a few people sometime as none of my mates play apart from one but he's abit of a fair weather golfer. I mainly play courses around darlington such as stressholme, darlington and blackwell becasuse i can't drive i have to either rely on lifts of other people i'm playing with or a taxi.

Rockliffe hall are currentley doing a deal on a tues,weds,thurs where it's £45 a round with a bacon sandwich and tea/coffee. I've played there once and it's the best course i've played by a long way and fancy playing there again if anyone is up for it?

lordingsy

Club Champion
Visit site
Yeah will deffo be up for it at some point. I'm in a strange place with jobs at the min and dont have any spare cash for golf but as soon as I get some (interview tomorrow, fingers crossed).

Wouldnt mind having a bash at Stressholme never played there. Think Darlington GC also lowers green fees during the winter to about £20.

Rockcliffe does sound good at £45 and I would love to have a round there. Thinnk that could be the one when i've got a bit of spare cash

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just played stressholme today and it was in amazing condition. No winter tee's or greens and the greens are pretty much perfect.

Darlington gc have a deal at the minute on a monday and thursday where it's only £10 a round but i played there a few weeks ago and they were already using winter tee's on some holes which was abit dissapointing.

Good luck with the job interview by the way.