95% allowance.

WGCRider

Visit site
My questions is how is this applied. To give a very simple example if my handicap is 9.5 and the slope rating is 113. Then my playing handicap is 10. Do I apply 95% to this which would mean my handicap after is still 10 or is 95% of 9.5 meaning I'm playing off 9?

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
My questions is how is this applied. To give a very simple example if my handicap is 9.5 and the slope rating is 113. Then my playing handicap is 10. Do I apply 95% to this which would mean my handicap after is still 10 or is 95% of 9.5 meaning I'm playing off 9?
If your Index is 9.5 on a slope of 113, then your Course Handicap is 10. Your playing handicap is 95% of 10, which is 9.5 round up to 10

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If we have a Worldwide WHS system. Why is Englands different to scotlands ?

and why is England and Scotland different to New Zealand?

It is only the basics that remain the same i.e average of the best 8 to produce a Handicap Index what happens after that depends on where in the world you are.

+ Course Ratings and Slopes probably remain pretty consistent across the world.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The handicap system is the same - the difference is in the application to competitions.
I think this is the bit I don’t understand. Why is there a difference in application to competitions. I understand the best 8 from 20 but is 95% applied in all comps in Scotland, England, New Zealand etc.
If not, I wonder why?
Genuinely interested ?

wjemather

Visit site
I think this is the bit I don’t understand. Why is there a difference in application to competitions. I understand the best 8 from 20 but is 95% applied in all comps in Scotland, England, New Zealand etc.
If not, I wonder why?
Genuinely interested ?
WHS was designed to enable local authorities to tailor the system to suit their jurisdiction. The Handicap Index is the only thing that truly matters in order to have a portable handicap, and it is essentially the same everywhere (the effect of any options taken - which affect things like NDB adjustments - is extremely insignificant).

The competition allowances in Appendix C of the rules (e.g. 95%) are nothing more than recommendations for medium size fields; the rules leave it to national associations to determine what is right for them. As the national authority for GB&I, CONGU has decided to make the allowances mandatory for all affiliated associations and clubs within GB&I for all field sizes.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That calculation provides 'Course Handicap'. Your Playing Handicap depends on the format of golf you are playing (the' Handicap Allowance'). 95% is the Handicap Allowance for Singles Strokeplay; 85% for Pairs/Team Better Ball etc.
Here's a calculator from the club I play most of my golf at, but it's applicable elsewhere - as long as you know the Slope of the set of tees you will play. EG have an equivalent App you can download to your phone.
https://coursehandicap.com/the-shire-london-1017150-the-ballesteros-masters/
Most courses also have sheets near the 1st Tee that you can use too.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If not, I wonder why?
Genuinely interested ?
The process for Handicapping is the same all over (ie Course Handicap). The Playing Handicap allowances are only about competitions and may be obligatory or optional set by national authorities for handicap competitions.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Same all over (ie Course Handicap) is not correct.

There is no Course Handicap in Australia.

They have GA Index (Golf Australia Index) and they have "Daily Handicap" which is what you play off in individual strokeplay.

Ozzie Playing Handicap.jpg

What we call Course Rating, they call Scratch Rating

D-S

Visit site
The process for Handicapping is the same all over (ie Course Handicap).
I thought that ’Course Handicap‘ in many/most other jurisdictions included the difference between course rating and par whereas in these isles it does not.