6.3C Wrong bal

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Interesting, I have not heard of a club not paying out 2s if you NR.
To my knowledge 2s pot is an extra earner run by club pros totally separate to the medal entry.
I doubt many people would enter 2s on that basis.
NRing is not something to be ashamed of or something I would do on purpose. Occasionally you get caught out losing a ball and it may be best for other competitors to just move on.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Ridiculous if clubs see that making a player ineligible for 2's is an incentive not to NR. Brainless thinking and can only be driven by a belief that they have a culture at the club where folk NR for the sake of it...e.g. for handicap protection.

You've got a *** score going on...You get to the green on a long par 5 late in the round, come to mark your ball and realise that it is not yours, you figure out that it was your second shot you played from the rough where you must have played the wrong ball, there are players behind you half way down the hole and another group just putting out on the previous hole ready to walk to the tee....and yet the club expect you to walk back 350-400yds to look for your original ball and play it....or even worse, not find it and have to go back to the tee....all so you can keep the one bright point of your round where you knocked in a birdie at a par 3 earlier in the round?

Madness.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Playing today in a three ball in a medal on a par 3 my playing partner played the wrong ball but spotted it before playing his next shot and didn't finish the hole.
He went back to where he played the wrong ball dropped the right ball and played again from the same place.
What is the ruling on this as in 6.3ci can't see a penalty in the wording.
how did he drop the right ball? I’m taking it that the right ball would still be in the place he originally hit it to?

Springveldt

Visit site
It's neither brainless or ridiculous.

2s are paid on RETURNED SCORES.
Until your card is submitted properly and your score is posted, you haven't scored anything. If a 2 shows up on your RETURNED SCORE, you have scored a 2. Pretty simple.

However, other variations are played, people who quit are also rewarded at some clubs. That's fine, nobody is calling that brainless or ridiculous because, as already mentioned a few times, it varies from club to club.
In the circumstances he mentioned it is. Imagine having to go back and hold up everyone behind just because you want your share of the 2s and have to play out the hole.
Yesterday I had 4 “N/Rs” where I picked up and moved on due to not being able to score on the hole and wanting to keep pace of play up. I had a 2 after I had already picked up on 3 holes before the 2, sometimes it’s the chance of a 2 that keeps you going.
Played decent as well, scored 32 points with 4 N/Rs, still nearly made the buffer zone.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Officially, of course it's not recognised, if you NR you haven't scored anything on any hole in the competition.
But of course, if your pro shop recognises your 2, so be it.

Not true. CONGU approved software will still treat my round as one that can count for handicap.
I can't win anything from club in a stroke play medal.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Officially, of course it's not recognised, if you NR you haven't scored anything on any hole in the competition.
But of course, if your pro shop recognises your 2, so be it.

You’re incorrect, a card submitted with a NR on a hole or holes but with all the other holes having a score registered against them, is still an ‘official’ card for handicap purposes as per Congu!

As has been stated, you’re simply out of the competition, but if a two’s pot is separate, which it is at our club as it’s run by the Pro to the side of the club Comp, then you rightly still get it.

We have Pro members at our club who enter the comps purely for the two’s as they can’t enter the comps due to their Pro status.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
We're talking about is your score recognised for the competition, and as you note, it's not a score, it's just an NR.

But, for the several-th time, it obviously varies.

You’re backtracking now, your posts #13 & #19 cleared stated it was pointless to carry on after a NR or to score anything on any further holes!

Which is incorrect.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
It's neither brainless or ridiculous.

2s are paid on RETURNED SCORES.
Until your card is submitted properly and your score is posted, you haven't scored anything. If a 2 shows up on your RETURNED SCORE, you have scored a 2. Pretty simple.

However, other variations are played, people who quit are also rewarded at some clubs. That's fine, nobody is calling that brainless or ridiculous because, as already mentioned a few times, it varies from club to club.

My brainless/ridiculous comment was aimed at clubs who apparently believe that denying players their "2" if they NR is a good way of incentivising them from NRing. I merely outlined a scenario

The scores that you post on all the holes that you don't NR are entered into the computer and will go towards the calculation of the CSS for the competition....so they are officially recognised. Sure you don't have a score for competition purposes...but you do have valid returned score which will be used both for your own handicap calculation and the CSS that will affect the rest of the field.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
If a player can carry on scoring after a NR and then actually submit a score that is within the buffer, then that is not only something I have learned (thank you) , but also pretty incomprehensible to me.
Maybe it's just different attitudes, but an NR to me is the ultimate last resort, something you might do if you're way over handicap and maybe lose a ball unexpectedly right at the end of the round.

The thought of someone quitting but then carrying on scoring and getting in the buffer is totally alien, but if that's how people play, wow.

I don't believe that anyone WANTS to NR (except in situations where they are trying to build a handicap!!)....and the option to allow a player to build a score for handicap purposes after an NR'd hole (for whatever reasons) must be seen as a positive.

I've known players lose a ball on the first hole and for it to be impractical for them to return and play another...only to go on and build a score that got them a handicap cut.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If a player can carry on scoring after a NR and then actually submit a score that is within the buffer, then that is not only something I have learned (thank you) , but also pretty incomprehensible to me.
Maybe it's just different attitudes, but an NR to me is the ultimate last resort, something you might do if you're way over handicap and maybe lose a ball unexpectedly right at the end of the round.

The thought of someone quitting but then carrying on scoring and getting in the buffer is totally alien, but if that's how people play, wow.

It is not how "people play" it is how the people who run the game operate.

I have no idea if you are a pro or a total hacker, but say you score a 15 on a par 4, do you carry on? Are you happy that counts for your handicap as a net double bogey?

Fish

Banned
Visit site

if you scored a 12 on a par 4 with a shot, that would be reduced for handicap purposes to a 7, being a nett double bogey, in essence, that is no different to someone simply NR’ing that hole, the nett result is the same, other than being out of the competition of course.

What I actually really don’t like, is, your constant reference to someone quitting or being a quitter when faced with almost being forced to NR a hole!

I actually NR’d our 8th on Saturday, there was no reason for me to not find the ball where it had gone, it wasn’t in with the snakes & lizards, but as we’ve all experienced at times, it just didn’t show it’s face within the time allotted, so I NR’d the hole as it was totally impracticable to go back with over 200 in the competition field, so I still played fully in a competition mode to aim at still submitting a score that would see me either not go up .1 or better still, with plenty of Opportunity to bags some pars and birdies to dilute that nett double bogey and even get cut, to infer that I’m a quitter simply because I NR’d and removed myself from the competition, I find quite offensive!