50th birthday.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
So the missus drops it on you that along with the awesome present she's already got you, you've got 500 notes to spend on something else.

What would you get?
I've already had a Scotty, loved it for a few months then shifted it on as it didn't perform any better than my £50 Ping anser.
A new bag and trolley?
Seems about naff for a 50th present ?

I'm trying to think of something which really means something but I'm drawing a blank.

Already got a PS5 btw ?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I'm 50 in a few weeks and think I'd like some sun more than anything though that's probably based on having just played three holes in the snow

You'd want something that you've still got in 10 years so I wouldn't get clubs - think I'd go for a really cool bag and headcovers and some golf photography - few amazing prints of some great holes or something historic? Or a country membership somewhere brilliant?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd probably go for a couple of games at an Open course / top venue.

Something you wouldn't normally play.

Perhaps go with a mate and play Carnoustie & Panmure.
Maybe Muirfield, then another East Lothian venue the next day.
Troon & Prestwick.
Lancs and play Birkdale and Hillside / West Lancs or Hoylake.
Kent - RSG & Princes etc.

Ultimately you can buy new stuff and even if you do play some of these top courses, probably won't be on consecutive days.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
For mine my wife gave me a 2 day, stay over, trip to Gleneagles for me and my son. Sadly the pandemic closed it so it is now my 51st present :LOL:.

We actually did a similar trip the year before, played 1 x Gleneagles , stayed and played elsewhere which kept the overall cost down. For my sons 18th we did a Turnberry trip. Those trips were fabulous, I still look at the pictures and smile, great memories. That is the route I would look at rather than a physical item which you may well move on in 1yr, 2yrs etc (golfers huh).

I would heartily recommend either Turnberry or Gleneagles. Both fabulous, definitely special occasion places.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
So the missus drops it on you that along with the awesome present she's already got you, you've got 500 notes to spend on something else.

What would you get?
I've already had a Scotty, loved it for a few months then shifted it on as it didn't perform any better than my £50 Ping anser.
A new bag and trolley?
Seems about naff for a 50th present ?

I'm trying to think of something which really means something but I'm drawing a blank.

Already got a PS5 btw ?

Any BBQ goodies on the wishlist?

I always look at events or trips away when it comes to milestone birthdays, does the misses play golf too?

D

Deleted member 21258

I would give a quarter to charity, been hard times for charities this year.

Then the remainder, if the pressie was just for me, a day ticket to The Berkshire and over night stay in a posh premier inn.

Failing that for £500 I would invest in a country membership and use it many times over the year.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I've got my 50th coming up next year and the wife was using about what to get me. We were going to go to New York for a short trip but sicne my daughter's bat-mitzvah trip to France had to be cancelled this year, we are doing that instead. I was trying to convince her to let me book a trip up to St. Andrews or similar to play a few links courses with some friends, or perhaps to Royal Birkdale and surrounding area

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
For mine my wife gave me a 2 day, stay over, trip to Gleneagles for me and my son. Sadly the pandemic closed it so it is now my 51st present :LOL:.

We actually did a similar trip the year before, played 1 x Gleneagles , stayed and played elsewhere which kept the overall cost down. For my sons 18th we did a Turnberry trip. Those trips were fabulous, I still look at the pictures and smile, great memories. That is the route I would look at rather than a physical item which you may well move on in 1yr, 2yrs etc (golfers huh).

I would heartily recommend either Turnberry or Gleneagles. Both fabulous, definitely special occasion places.

Not played Turnberry - but Gleneagles Kings is a top top course. For my money as good as anything the coast has to offer and is, imo, underrated on account of not being a links course.

There's a great value shot on almost every hole, sometimes 2.

Main downside is it will be much softer for more months of the year.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Gleneagles currently has four ball offers i think up to end of March for £200, so you could play a couple of their courses and stay with change i expect if you can find three others paying their way. That assumes travel, accommodation etc reopens in a couple of months as could just as easily not be the case with Covid.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
To me the most important thing is family, so I would suggest spending it on a golf weekend at a top course with family, clubs / bags are just not that important, my kids got me a round at Trump International which I played with my son , something special to me.

Mind you I ended up paying for my son so it wasn’t a freebie?

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I went to Turnberry with my wife for my 40th, stayed in the hotel. It was awesome, but I played on my own. For my 50th I organised and 7 mates came on a trip to St Andrews. As a golf experience for my milestone that was awesome. I played Birkdale and Lytham on consecutive days on another mate's milestone trip, and we played Royal St George's last year on another mate's trip. We find that if somebody organises, there is no shortage of takers to get to 4 or 8. The memories are priceless.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Gleneagles currently has four ball offers i think up to end of March for £200, so you could play a couple of their courses and stay with change i expect if you can find three others paying their way. That assumes travel, accommodation etc reopens in a couple of months as could just as easily not be the case with Covid.
The cheapest room at Gleneagles is over £400 a night :oops:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The cheapest room at Gleneagles is over £400 a night :oops:
If you book as part of a package it is way less. Equally, there are other places to stay nearby which are more more affordable. I stayed at https://www.duchally.co.uk/ , really lovely place and only a mile or so from Gleneagles.

£400 a night is bonkers, can't argue with the emoji used :D

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I went to Turnberry with my wife for my 40th, stayed in the hotel. It was awesome, but I played on my own. For my 50th I organised and 7 mates came on a trip to St Andrews. As a golf experience for my milestone that was awesome. I played Birkdale and Lytham on consecutive days on another mate's milestone trip, and we played Royal St George's last year on another mate's trip. We find that if somebody organises, there is no shortage of takers to get to 4 or 8. The memories are priceless.

I agree, for a special occasion a outing at a top course with family/ friends can’t be beat. ?