iPad 'v' Macbook Air

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
... and my old Windows laptop.

A little bit of history, for me.

Mrs Hobbit bought me an iPad 2 years ago and I loved it. Everything I'd hoped it would be/do it did. But it was light on memory for the amount of music and books I have. Yes, I know there is the cloud but that's not much good when you're at 30,000ft in a plane and you're wanting to listen to something you have in the cloud.

6 months into iPad ownership my Windows laptop, which I'd owned for a few years was starting to struggle, e.g. I could power up and then go and make a coffee and still be back before it had finished booting. The choice was do I switch to a MacBook or stick with a Windows laptop. Windows was chosen, and an i7 with 256 SSD was purchased.

Early this year I bought an iPad Pro with lots of memory, and the issue of all my music and books was sorted. Then got the Apple Pencil, and wow does it make taking notes in meetings easy, especially when padding them out post meeting with graphs and tables etc. I just love the iPad Pro.

A few weeks ago my i7 Windows laptop started to freeze occasionally, and then an episode of the blue screen of death led me to start looking for a replacement. The spec; a decent processor, plenty of memory and preferably a SSD hard drive. It would also need USB, and a card reader for downloading the pictures from my Nikon.

Do I go with another Windows laptop or, being ecstatic with the iPad Pro, become full on Apple? The new MacBook Pro doesn't have USB or card reader, although various dongles could be bought to enable connection but that just gets too faffy. The decision was to go for the MacBook Air, 8gb + 256 SSD.

A week in to MacBook Air ownership and I've got to say its poor. Its slower than the HP i7. Some of the tasks take 2 or 3 faffy button presses, and the graphics quality isn't as sharp. I've already had a couple of phishing pop-ups that took some cleaning up too.

I dare say I'll learn some of the short cuts and become more adept with it but, a) its nothing like as good as the iPad Pro, b) its not as good as the i7 Windows laptop it replaced, c) I have to agree with Murphthemog... great marketing, poor product in comparison to what its replaced.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My only Apple product is an iPad 2 for work. Whilst I agree it’s not a bad product, I struggle with the many updates it’s had, that often dont seem fully finished or tested, have issues with screen interaction leading to fat finger typing. The auto correct is a nightmare as well.
The kids and wife’s iPhones haven’t lasted any longer than anything else, and have just the same similar issues with use.
I wouldn’t choose to have another Apple product unless I was forced to.
I appreciate this doesn’t really help much, but it’s just my limited time with Apple.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My iPad is old now but working ok .
Apple policy is its stopped sending updates to me so it's starting to freeze and reload at times so can't trust it anymore.
Is there a way round this or do I need to get a new one.
i believe it's the same with the iPhone.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I recently bought a 2nd hand Macbook Air mainly for my djing as my windows kept crashing mid dj set - which isn't good! As yet I haven't moved everything over but what I have noticed whilst using it for buy tunes, transfering music and doing my college work is that it takes a little time to get used to doing it the Apple way! No right click does my head in and some of the simple tasks with windows takes a bit of figuring out. It also hasn't recognised some of my files which is annoying but it is lightening quick compared to my windows.

I'm going to move everything over in the new year and hopefully I should be crash free whilst giging.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I recently bought a 2nd hand Macbook Air mainly for my djing as my windows kept crashing mid dj set - which isn't good! As yet I haven't moved everything over but what I have noticed whilst using it for buy tunes, transfering music and doing my college work is that it takes a little time to get used to doing it the Apple way! No right click does my head in and some of the simple tasks with windows takes a bit of figuring out. It also hasn't recognised some of my files which is annoying but it is lightening quick compared to my windows.

I'm going to move everything over in the new year and hopefully I should be crash free whilst giging.

Youtube is your friend! The amount of simple short cuts, especially using the trackpad, is earning it a grudging reprieve in somethings but still disappointed with the graphics quality.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
A week in to MacBook Air ownership and I've got to say its poor. Its slower than the HP i7. Some of the tasks take 2 or 3 faffy button presses, and the graphics quality isn't as sharp. I've already had a couple of phishing pop-ups that took some cleaning up too.

Brian, how did you resolve this? I'm actually considering an anti virus for mine. :angry: