Computer / Music / Memory Stick question

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any Laptop Karaoke experts here ?.
I have thousands of karaoke backing tracks on my PC that are taking up a massive amount of space.

If I download them to a memory USB stick, could I just delete them from my PC, then could I just plug in the stick whenever I needed it. ???

@williamalex1

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have thousands of karaoke backing tracks on my PC that are taking up a massive amount of space.

If I download them to a memory USB stick, could I just delete them from my PC, then could I just plug in the stick whenever I needed it. ???

@williamalex1

I'm not sure about the karaoke aspect of the question however if you put it on the memory stick you can delete them and access anytime you plug in. All of my movies for example are on a hard drive somewhere (under the TV I think) and I just plug in when I want to access a film

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
How much space are they taking up? Cloud storage might be a better solution, more robust and reliable. Google will give 100gb for £1.59 a month.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
How much space are they taking up? Cloud storage might be a better solution, more robust and reliable. Google will give 100gb for £1.59 a month.
ATM the karaoke files are 91.2 GB, and my PC disk C capacity 232Gb with only 27.5 GB of free space left.
My PC's initial start-up takes ages around 10 minutes before it can be used/accessed. Could the Karaoke tracks be slowing my PC start-up?

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
ATM the karaoke files are 91.2 GB, my PC disk C has only 27.5 GB of free space left.
My PC initial start up takes ages around 10 mins before it can be used/accessed. Could the Karaoke tracks be slowing my PC down ?

To be fair in theory it shouldn't because that's enough memory however is it a HDD or SSD? HDD drives slow down the computer where as SSD are really good for fast performing and boot speeds

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be fair in theory it shouldn't because that's enough memory however is it a HDD or SSD? HDD drives slow down the computer where as SSD are really good for fast performing and boot speeds
I'm not sure if the drives are HDD or SSD, how can I find that info and can it, could/should it be changed ??

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Next to your start button there's a search box type in device manager.
From the list, click on disc drives and that will show you what you have.
I couldn't see if mine was HDD or SSD from that.
I eventually tracked it down from the model #

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I understand it, it's not the size of the files on the hard drive that slow your start up down. Have a look at what is happening when start up is performed. Remove some unwanted start up items and that should speed it up. I have all my karaoke and music files stored on three external hds. One has music and karaoke one has just karaoke and one has just music. Copies of copies. If one fails I have a back up.when doing gigs I fire up laptop, just an old one, which starts up quick, then plug in the HDD with karaoke and music and away I go. All done in seconds. The external HDD is 2tb. I suggest you do this.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

@williamalex1
And in response to this. Yes. Laptop will boot as normal and you can access karaoke files from usb stick. Just tell the software which drive to go to to play them. If you use karaoke software

Alan Clifford

Visit site
ATM the karaoke files are 91.2 GB, and my PC disk C capacity 232Gb with only 27.5 GB of free space left.
My PC's initial start-up takes ages around 10 minutes before it can be used/accessed. Could the Karaoke tracks be slowing my PC start-up?

For 18 quid you can try it

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the long term memory sticks are not as reliable as hard drives.
I would buy an external hard drive and back up to that as well.

PS CDs that you write yourself are even less reliable than memory sticks.

If you use the computer to store a lot of photos these will be taking up more space than music files particularly if you have the music as MP3s.