Garmin S2 vs Apple Watch

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've got a big birthday coming up next month, the missus wants to get me something decent to mark it. I'm hopeless when it comes to presents, can't really think of anything else golf related I need, happy with my clubs, got new bag and trolley within the last 6 months, have got 3 lessons unused. Maybe a new putter, but i'm not convinced an upgrade will help me hole more putts!

She has a smartwatch and loves it, she does a lot of walking and is a bit OCD about how many steps she does and that kind of thing. She has suggested getting me an Apple Watch. I'm not sure what I would use it for other than golf.

I currently use a Garmin S2 for distances. It's a bit basic but it does the job.

What extra would I get out of an Apple Watch golfwise?

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
Have you thought about the Garmin Vivoactive Music. It has a great golf app which also shows all the layups and links brillaintly with Garmin's Connect so you can review your game afterwards. As the name implies you can also download music into it so if going for arum there's no need to bring your phone. A great price to at around £150
garmin-vivoactive-music-3-golf-app-jpg.27468

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have you thought about the Garmin Vivoactive Music. It has a great golf app which also shows all the layups and links brillaintly with Garmin's Connect so you can review your game afterwards. As the name implies you can also download music into it so if going for arum there's no need to bring your phone. A great price to at around £150

will have a look. only running I do is on the treadmill at the gym as it's easier on the knees, use bluetooth headphones and the phone for that.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have an Apple Watch, mainly use it for golf but also have an iPhone so wouldn’t consider getting any other type of ‘smart watch’ because it works brilliantly with the phone. Best if both worlds really, great for golf but also has other uses.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I Have used Garmins usually but recently started to use Apple Watch with Golfshot App which I have subscribed to, quite like the interface of it so I subscribed for the year.

JT.

Visit site
I have a Garmin S2 and an Apple Watch (yes greedy I know!). I mainly used the Apple Watch for running, but then started to use the Hole19 app with it for golf. IMHO the Distances on the Garmin are more accurate and it’s more user friendly (I.e. it only does one thing so you’re not constantly flicking between a watch face and a golf app). So I’m back to using the Garmin for golf and don’t see that changing.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have a Garmin S2 and an Apple Watch (yes greedy I know!). I mainly used the Apple Watch for running, but then started to use the Hole19 app with it for golf. IMHO the Distances on the Garmin are more accurate and it’s more user friendly (I.e. it only does one thing so you’re not constantly flicking between a watch face and a golf app). So I’m back to using the Garmin for golf and don’t see that changing.

That's interesting. I would have thought the Apple Watch would have been an all round better experience than the S2 on the golf course. Food for thought there.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
garmin-vivoactive-music-3-golf-app-jpg.27468
second the Vivoactive, although mine doesn't have the music. It has a number of sports including golf. I use it for rowing as well. Easy to download courses, distance to hazards, front, middle and back of green. On occasion the distance does appear to be off by a few yards but have stopped zapping the pin so often, just go for middle of the green mostly.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use my Apple Watch with hope 19, great job for a free app. I use the watch daily for other things too, fitness tracking is very good and easy to use, I also like that my messages come through on it in work etc.
The hole 19 app stays on screen for the duration of my round, can change watch settings so the app stays open and doesn’t flit back to watch face ?

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I have an Apple Watch and I love it. Still haven't nailed down what golf app I'm going to use, as I don't actually wear if when I play, so I may just take the straps off and keep it in my pocket, or attach it to the outside of my bag, and use it like one of those little Bushnell GPS units

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
second the Vivoactive, although mine doesn't have the music. It has a number of sports including golf. I use it for rowing as well. Easy to download courses, distance to hazards, front, middle and back of green. On occasion the distance does appear to be off by a few yards but have stopped zapping the pin so often, just go for middle of the green mostly.

The one thing on the Vivoactive that annoys me is that the Autoshot Measuring Feature works only for a few rounds then disappears and can only be restored by re-setting the device. Do you have the same issue? Apart from that I love it's all-round capabilities

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
The one thing on the Vivoactive that annoys me is that the Autoshot Measuring Feature works only for a few rounds then disappears and can only be restored by re-setting the device. Do you have the same issue? Apart from that I love it's all-round capabilities

I've not even looked at how it works, or if it works. To be honest, I'm not really that bothered about the shot stats, I just use the golf function for distance and to record the score on the hole. I bought it mainly as an all rounder, rather than a golf specific watch.