5 mile "radius"

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think it has changed in Northern Ireland, could be different over the water.

Although there is so much information going about I have no clue what is correct or not.
Me neither re NI. In England, there was some confused directive re being able to drive for exercise as long as the exercise is longer than the drive!
My drive is 20 mins, my golf is 4.30hrs ??

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I may be a little stupid on this but 5 miles, 10 miles or 15 miles, what difference does it make to the potential risk of transmission?

I imagine that members would be getting into their car alone at home and repeating and reversing the procedure at their club.

So what is the issue with the distance?

It will limit the number of people using the facility, be it a golf course or other.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Golf courses in Ireland opening on May 18th for members only and only if you live within a 5km radius.

If infections continue to drop after this they will then be open to members who live within a 20km radius on 8th June and then again dependant on covid infections open to all members on July 20th!

Guess who lives 25km away ?

So for my usual 4 ball we have one back in May, 2 back in June and me not back til July!!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Issue is if people are only travelling within a 5 mile radius to a golf facility, that limits the risk of cross country contamination.

i.e. if it does so happen that the virus spreads at a golf club for whatever reason... whether carelessness, a gate or door etc. then the outbreak will be limited to that area.

Same with shops, and I'd guess they should maybe have been a bit more strict on advice to everyone using their nearest shop. Probably doesn't matter in a bigger city, but a small town something like this would / could be a containment measure.

And for the same reason that the App is being tested in IOW?

I'm thinking that if onward infection from an infected individual is being traced, we would want those who could be infected to be limited to a specific area. So for instance if I was tested positive then they'd ideally want all my 'contacts' to be in - at worst - my the outward code (postcode district) - of which there are about 2500 in the UK. In that way a lockdown could be applied to my specific postcode district if there is found to be the possibility of a significant spike of infections happening in it. A wider area would be the Postcode Area - but as there are only 124 of these in the UK so they will cover probably too large an area - the GU postcode covers probably the homes of the vast majority of members - but that 's quite a large area - possibly too large to put all into lockdown on basis of a surge in one or two specific towns within it.

So maybe the thinking is let's try and keep everyone travelling to a golf club - or anywhere else - to those living within the postcode district.

Last edited:

Mick68

Visit site
I think it would be quite divisive within a club to differentiate between different groups of members. I live a 10 min walk away but if I lived over 5 miles away and others were playing and I wasn't I'd be looking for some kind of refund whereas at the moment I'm not too bothered about that as we're all in the same boat. I certainly wouldn't be telling any member I came across who I knew lived over 5 miles away that they shouldn't be there or reporting them to anyone.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it would be quite divisive within a club to differentiate between different groups of members. I live a 10 min walk away but if I lived over 5 miles away and others were playing and I wasn't I'd be looking for some kind of refund whereas at the moment I'm not too bothered about that as we're all in the same boat. I certainly wouldn't be telling any member I came across who I knew lived over 5 miles away that they shouldn't be there or reporting them to anyone.

Obviously this is still hypothetical at the moment and I believe based on what Ireland have announced .

I'd perhaps guess that in Ireland there are fewer golf courses (certainly than there are in Scotland) and maybe is far more common that people travel 30 or 40 miles to the coast as their 'home' club.

I agree that it would be very frustrating if your home club was 6 miles away. Perhaps if this is enforced, for the few weeks that it would be in place, most clubs would agree an informal policy of giving some people temporary membership of the nearest course. I'm certain this would happen in some cases, but you may need to get involved an knock a few heads together if you were affected.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Can't see a 5 hole radius being workable at all. Our course is out in the country and I wouldn't be surprised if well over half the membership lived more than 5 miles away.

Last edited:

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Me neither re NI. In England, there was some confused directive re being able to drive for exercise as long as the exercise is longer than the drive!
My drive is 20 mins, my golf is 4.30hrs ??
4:30? Let’s start a slow play debate ;-)

Sorry, no proper contribution to this topic, but then, nothing has yet been announced for the uk anyway.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
You guys are still using miles instead of kilometers like us.
Cool.

Those of us who live in the country and are used to walking also have "country miles". A country mile is a red faced cider drinking countryside dwellers interpretation of how far something is away.

If you are lost in the country and ask someone for directions and they tell you something is a "mile" down the road....then they are referring to a "country mile" which can be anything from one and a half miles to four or five miles away.

sunshine

Visit site

I think you should write a letter to your committee / secretary to complain about this. It's not fair and you should get a refund.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
You guys are still using miles instead of kilometers like us.
Cool.
We are a bastard nation when it comes to measurements. We measure road distance/speeds in miles (Statute miles as opposed to US miles), liquids in litres apart from pints of beer, yet spirits (Liquor) is in ml. We buy petrol in litres yet we calculate fuel efficiency in miles per gallon. Weight is in kg yet we weigh ourselves in stones and pounds and our height is in feet and inches but we use metres for everything else apart from golf where it is yards and feet. Nuts and bolts are metric unless you have an old car like me where they are imperial UNC or UNF apart from those which are BA. In aviation, height is in feet, speed is nautical miles per hour and runway length is metres.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd imagine it'll be quite easy for the club to police. Bookings taken via BRS. I'm assuming the singles and family only is still getting quoted? If so there won't be many bookings to "police/check".

Pro or secretary who will be fairly quiet at present can easily check home address and cancel said booking.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that or I'm goosed.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd imagine it'll be quite easy for the club to police. Bookings taken via BRS. I'm assuming the singles and family only is still getting quoted? If so there won't be many bookings to "police/check".

Pro or secretary who will be fairly quiet at present can easily check home address and cancel said booking.

Guessing it could all be done in advance. Work through the membership list, find those outside of the agreed distance and block them from booking on BRS. make sure everyone has to report to the pro shop before teeing off to ensure that someone close is not booking tee times for another person living further away.

Mick68

Visit site
I think you should write a letter to your committee / secretary to complain about this. It's not fair and you should get a refund.
Not sure what point you're making. If you're taking the piss then I pointed out that it doesn't affect me but I would understand if people who it does affect did exactly what you suggest. I'm not sure if it's going to happen anytime soon now anyway - at least in Scotland.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Heard last night that this may well be how it goes in order to play starting on Monday 18th. Would have to wait until June 8th for that to extend to 10 miles which would incorporate road distance from my house to the course (7.4 miles)

In my opinion "radius" is as the crow flies which means I would just make it (5 miles exactly). It would rule a lot of people out though for the first few weeks...............

If people can drive 5 miles to a B&Q warehouse, why introduce and try to enforce this, it's pathetic.

The 'essential' travel has never, to my mind, had a specific mileage limit set to it, and the travelling to exercise hasn't either, they're both very subjective imo, so this is just a nonsense imo and can't see it happening.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
We are a bastard nation when it comes to measurements. We measure road distance/speeds in miles (Statute miles as opposed to US miles), liquids in litres apart from pints of beer, yet spirits (Liquor) is in ml. We buy petrol in litres yet we calculate fuel efficiency in miles per gallon. Weight is in kg yet we weigh ourselves in stones and pounds and our height is in feet and inches but we use metres for everything else apart from golf where it is yards and feet. Nuts and bolts are metric unless you have an old car like me where they are imperial UNC or UNF apart from those which are BA. In aviation, height is in feet, speed is nautical miles per hour and runway length is metres.

You're comfortable with both imperial and metric measurement, then.
We stick with imperial because we're not fast learners.

Of the bilingual people in the US, almost all of them speak English as their second language.
American born people don't bother to learn other languages.
Yet, when we travel abroad, almost everybody seems to have some English, and many speak it better than I.
It's embarrassing, really.

When I was a boy, I could speak a now extinct Sicilian version of Italian.
It became extinct in Sicily long before it did here where it lasted long enough to make The Godfather Pt.II in the 1970s.
Once my great grandfather passed on when I was 14, I mostly lost it, but I still kept enough of it not to need the subtitles in either Godfather or Cinema Paradiso (The Italians somehow revived a little of it for that fine film).

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Guessing it could all be done in advance. Work through the membership list, find those outside of the agreed distance and block them from booking on BRS. make sure everyone has to report to the pro shop before teeing off to ensure that someone close is not booking tee times for another person living further away.
Not the clubs job tho . What ye are mixing up re the ireland scenario .

In ireland there will b opening of courses

In ireland there is currently a 5k non essintal journey ban .

Two very seperate things

While the ban IF FOLLOWED does effect the playing of golf to those outside 5k it is not the job or legaly within the remit of your golf club to stop u travelling anywhere .

unless the government NOT the gui give them the power to police u If openand they refuse to let u play they could face a backlash and possible lawsuit from members.

The only thing the GUi can do is put in guidelines and recomendations

The could if they so wished report u for breaking travel ban to police and let them stop you . But cant see that happening

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

No mention of family or singles . Reduced groups 2 or 3 balls extended gaps between tee times ..

Thing is tho gui or ur golf club cant police or enforce a travel ban .. they can only recommend ideas .. in Ireland not many will live within 5k of course , if clubs are open and stop members playing they will suffer a massive backlash from members