5 mile "radius"

D

Deleted member 18588

Issue is if people are only travelling within a 5 mile radius to a golf facility, that limits the risk of cross country contamination.

i.e. if it does so happen that the virus spreads at a golf club for whatever reason... whether carelessness, a gate or door etc. then the outbreak will be limited to that area.

Same with shops, and I'd guess they should maybe have been a bit more strict on advice to everyone using their nearest shop. Probably doesn't matter in a bigger city, but a small town something like this would / could be a containment measure.

Exactly, our nearest supermarket is nearly 10 miles away. We do have a small Co-op store but no facility for meat or fish and very limited fruit and vegetables.

So it is OK for us to travel that distance for shopping but not to go a slightly shorter distance for golf.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Exactly, our nearest supermarket is nearly 10 miles away. We do have a small Co-op store but no facility for meat or fish and very limited fruit and vegetables.

So it is OK for us to travel that distance for shopping but not to go a slightly shorter distance for golf.

Obviously shopping is essential, golf is not.

That's a pretty clear distinction.

Visit site
Have they, though?

Well they have in Leeds, Bradford, Huddersfield, and Wakefield. Have you ever watched Traffic Cops on a Monday night? Sadly the programme brings shame to the City I grew up in every week. So "YES", they absolutely do have better things to do than measure your mileage to a golf club.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

When restrictions do begin to be lifted and golf courses, among other things are allowed to open the word essential may disappear from the advice.
Once lockdown is eased we will begin to regain freedom of movement.
If it's considered safe to open golf courses there will be other activities seemed safe to partake in.
Essential travel will be off the menu.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
When restrictions do begin to be lifted and golf courses, among other things are allowed to open the word essential may disappear from the advice.
Once lockdown is eased we will begin to regain freedom of movement.
If it's considered safe to open golf courses there will be other activities seemed safe to partake in.
Essential travel will be off the menu.

absolutely. Non-contact outdoor pursuits, seems to be the phrase that golf will be lumped under.

Unfortunately it doesn't mean restrictions can't be put back in place if its deemed a risk to the spread or if the optics don't look good and one or two spoil it for everyone else.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Given the severity of the virus in terms of killing elderly people, without a vaccine, it becomes a matter of when people die, not if. But clearly a politician isn't going to admit that and we are still hearing this nonsense about the virus doesn't discriminate etc. when the point is that it emphatically does, and with a bit of conviction and joined up thinking, things could easily be relaxed for younger people.

Over 87% of deaths are people aged 65 and over.
Just 1.1% are those aged under 45 (vast majority of those will be people with underlying health conditions, compromised immune systems or compromised respiratory systems).

I was listening to a similar argument about the young on the box this morning. One of the points put forward is that the young may not shown signs of the virus but will still be carriers.

D

Deleted member 18588

But golf is equally nonessential if you are travelling 4 miles or 9 miles.

My point is, in what way does the extra 5 miles increase the risk to the rest of society.

In any event we are all merely speculating as the UK Gov't has not yet given any indication what the guidelines may be.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
They're making the same assumptions and misunderstandings that a lot of people are.
Ireland has had a 2km distance rule in place since the lockdown. Basically you have to stay within 2km of home.
This is being extended, along with the opening up of golf courses, diy shops and other amenities where Social Distancing can be maintained, to 5km from home.
The problem is that in the UK we have never had, rightly or wrongly, any set distance that we must stay within.
As far as exercise, a time limit of 1 hour was mentioned by a Cabinet Minister but it has not been part of formal guidance issued by the Government
Relaxing lockdown is a means of reopening the country, step by step, and returning some freedom.
To suddenly impose a restriction of being able to travel no more than 5 miles, when previously there had been none, is increasing restrictions and is reinforcing lockdown as opposed to relaxing it.
Another point is that Ireland's limit is 5km
Why would ours be 5 miles?
They differ by 3km...
3 miles would be closer.

I am fully prepared to hold my hands up and apologise if this gets bought in but I see it as lazy journalism.
There is no reason to suggest a distance limit will be imposed here because there isn't one now.

Either way I'm within 5 miles so........(y)

Diamond

Visit site

You need to eat so 10 miles is fine.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
They're making the same assumptions and misunderstandings that a lot of people are.
Ireland has had a 2km distance rule in place since the lockdown. Basically you have to stay within 2km of home.
This is being extended, along with the opening up of golf courses, diy shops and other amenities where Social Distancing can be maintained, to 5km from home.
The problem is that in the UK we have never had, rightly or wrongly, any set distance that we must stay within.
As far as exercise, a time limit of 1 hour was mentioned by a Cabinet Minister but it has not been part of formal guidance issued by the Government
Relaxing lockdown is a means of reopening the country, step by step, and returning some freedom.
To suddenly impose a restriction of being able to travel no more than 5 miles, when previously there had been none, is increasing restrictions and is reinforcing lockdown as opposed to relaxing it.
Another point is that Ireland's limit is 5km
Why would ours be 5 miles?
They differ by 3km...
3 miles would be closer.

I am fully prepared to hold my hands up and apologise if this gets bought in but I see it as lazy journalism.
There is no reason to suggest a distance limit will be imposed here because there isn't one now.

Either way I'm within 5 miles so........(y)

Yet we are currently not to travel by car to exercise.

They could simply reword it to say 'you can now travel by car to exercise but only up to 5 miles'.

This would be relaxing restrictions while still keeping travel local.

Diamond

Visit site

Not sure where this story is from but as has been stated on another thread we haven’t been given a radius for exercise in the UK. We are still being told to stay home and protect the NHS, which relies on common sense to be applied.
I can’t see why a radius would be brought in when the relaxed rules are announced, they would probably rather extend the lockdown further.
It is odd that Ireland, who have had far less deaths, are going to relax lockdown rules from the 18th but they are more restricted for exercise than ourselves in the UK.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yet we are currently not to travel by car to exercise.

They could simply reword it to say 'you can now travel by car to exercise but only up to 5 miles'.

This would be relaxing restrictions while still keeping travel local.
Where does it say we can’t travel by car for exercise? pretty sure that ‘guidance’ changed. I’m 13 miles from the club, just paid my fees, I’ll be playing ASAP

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Where does it say we can’t travel by car for exercise? pretty sure that ‘guidance’ changed. I’m 13 miles from the club, just paid my fees, I’ll be playing ASAP

I don't think it has changed in Northern Ireland, could be different over the water.

Although there is so much information going about I have no clue what is correct or not.