4BBB Matchplay

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As so often happens, at the weekend someone quoted a rule to me that I didn't believe was real. The difference this time though, was that he claims to have been told this by someone else and din't believe them so wrote to the R&A who confirmed the rule was correct!

I'm going to ask if he still has the email when I next see him, but until then...

Playing better ball matchplay - on the green - he claims that a side can only decide to play the closer of the 2 balls if they are BOTH further away than the opponents 2 balls.
In all other cases he alleges that you have to ask permission to play out of turn.

The more I think about this the more ridiculous I feel it is, but it's this nagging doubt at the back of my mind about the email from the R&A that he says he received.

Looking through the rules all I see if 30-3b saying the side can choose, but I was hoping there might be a decision there somewhere even though I can't find one.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As so often happens, at the weekend someone quoted a rule to me that I didn't believe was real. The difference this time though, was that he claims to have been told this by someone else and din't believe them so wrote to the R&A who confirmed the rule was correct!

I'm going to ask if he still has the email when I next see him, but until then...

Playing better ball matchplay - on the green - he claims that a side can only decide to play the closer of the 2 balls if they are BOTH further away than the opponents 2 balls.
In all other cases he alleges that you have to ask permission to play out of turn.

The more I think about this the more ridiculous I feel it is, but it's this nagging doubt at the back of my mind about the email from the R&A that he says he received.

Looking through the rules all I see if 30-3b saying the side can choose, but I was hoping there might be a decision there somewhere even though I can't find one.

Definitely not a rules expert, but that sounds right to me! Otherwise they would be playing out of turn, and you could ask them to replay their shot!

D

Deleted member 17920

I am with you on this, It only has to be the team that is furthest by 1 ball then they can choose whatever ball they want to play 1st.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

he's wrong!

Can't wait to see the affirmation email from the R&A, somehow I think you'll find he says he's deleted it:whistle:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd love to see the email

The ball that's furthest away decides which team plays and they can play whichever they wish first.

It's quite often that the furthest away in a pair will say " you make the par from there for half and I will have a free shot at the birdie chance, you miss and I will lag it for par"

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
be fun to get a copy of the email. :lol: another one of the myths laws and not correct, you are a team so its the team furthest away to play 1st.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It's quite often that the furthest away in a pair will say " you make the par from there for half and I will have a free shot at the birdie chance, you miss and I will lag it for par"

Ah yes Chris - but many such statement made in ignorance of the rules :) though not I'd agree (though I may be wrong) in this case.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Recently someone also told me that once the person who is closer goes, they then lose their turn and its the other team to go next as the ball furthest away no longer counts as you used it's "turn" last time..

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Recently someone also told me that once the person who is closer goes, they then lose their turn and its the other team to go next as the ball furthest away no longer counts as you used it's "turn" last time..

I like that interpretation. So say both you and your PPs ball are the two furthest from the hole. Once one of you plays the other has to wait until the opposition have 'had a go'. Your team has a go - then my team has a go. Nice - but not 4BBB.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

better add it to the list then - even though it's clearly flawed by reference to the (simple) wording of 10-1 b

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

While I was searching for an answer to my question, I came across a decision along similar lines except it involved the player furthest from the hole saying he wasn't bothering to putt because he'd had too many shots already.
If everyone else then stuffs the hole up he can't then decide to putt out.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
While I was searching for an answer to my question, I came across a decision along similar lines except it involved the player furthest from the hole saying he wasn't bothering to putt because he'd had too many shots already.
If everyone else then stuffs the hole up he can't then decide to putt out.

Surely only true if player furthest from hole picks his ball up (without marking it) before his partner putts. I'd have thought that as soon as a ball is picked up without being marked, that ball is no longer in play and can therefore no longer influence or determine the order of play. If he says he's played too many and not going to bother to putt - but stills marks his ball - then he can go back on his statement and putt out if he wants.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Surely only true if player furthest from hole picks his ball up (without marking it) before his partner putts. I'd have thought that as soon as a ball is picked up without being marked, that ball is no longer in play and can therefore no longer influence or determine the order of play. If he says he's played too many and not going to bother to putt - but stills marks his ball - then he can go back on his statement and putt out if he wants.

The player who is furthest from the hole has abandoned their right to play out the hole by allowing opposition players who are nearer to the hole to put out first.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

If he is furthest away and allows an opponent to putt before him, he has relinquished his right to finish the hole.

I'd wrongly remembered the exact situation, but the same principle still applies. Here's the decision I found:

Q. In a four-ball match, A and B are playing C and D. All four balls are on the green in three strokes. The balls of A and C are about 10 feet from the hole; B's ball is two feet away and D's is three feet away. C picks up his ball. A leaves his ball on the green, but tells B and D to "battle it out". D putts first and holes; B then putts and misses. May A then putt for a half?

A. No. A and B abandoned A's right to complete the hole by allowing D to putt before A and B when it was Side A-B's turn to play. Under Rule 30-3b, Side A-B could have opted for B to putt before A. However, if B had done so and missed, it would then have been A's turn to play.
The answer is different if B's ball is three feet away, D's is two feet away and B putts and misses. In these circumstances, A may putt, provided he does so before D putts.

Incidentally, the bit I've made bold answers my original question.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

OK - so on this - my player (B) who picked up to let his partner (A) to get on with it - but left his ball marker in place - can only play on if neither of the opponents closer to the hole have played. As soon as an opponent closer to the hole than player B's marker plays - with player B's consent - then player B has declared himself out of the hole.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
OK - so on this - my player (B) who picked up to let his partner (A) to get on with it - but left his ball marker in place - can only play on if neither of the opponents closer to the hole have played. As soon as an opponent closer to the hole than player B's marker plays - with player B's consent - then player B has declared himself out of the hole.

Yes