48" Driver; One Length Irons?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18588
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18588

I'm sure it must just be me but it doesn't seem to make sense.

BDC is experimenting with a longer driver in an effort to increase his already prodigious length off the tee.

Yet, at the same time, he continues to use one length irons (everything is a 7 iron).

In the publicity for these irons the golfing public are assured that club length is irrelevant to achieving shot length.

So what is so different about drivers??

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Could be wrong but I'm sure they adjust the lofts and lie angles in the irons to counteract the effect of making them longer or shorter.

D

Deleted member 18588

Could be wrong but I'm sure they adjust the lofts and lie angles in the irons to counteract the effect of making them longer or shorter.
That adjustability can also be applied to a driver.

Mandofred

Visit site
I'm sure it must just be me but it doesn't seem to make sense.

BDC is experimenting with a longer driver in an effort to increase his already prodigious length off the tee.

Yet, at the same time, he continues to use one length irons (everything is a 7 iron).

In the publicity for these irons the golfing public are assured that club length is irrelevant to achieving shot length.

So what is so different about drivers??
I "think" that single length irons aren't so important for shot length as they are more important for consistency of shot/swing. All irons being the same length....you don't have to adjust your body higher/lower. I would love to try a set, once the lofts are adjusted for correct distance I would hope that I would get more consistent contact.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Yeah OEMs are tight lipped about the effort that goes into Bryson's particular set of irons compared to the off the shelf sets. If anyone remembers just how much added weight etc were on his original set combined with a very particular shaft flex in each club to get launch, spin and ball speed into a usable place. Its something anyone outside of a tour truck is never going to get. So we would all have to embrace the uncontrollable low bullet 5 irons and moon ball wedges....

As for 48" drivers, it can be two things....

1. Having all the clubhead speed in the world is pointless if you miss it all over the club face, so its law of diminishing returns which gets most tour pros back to about 45 - 46"

Or

2. The current driver stock is so forgiving that missing all over the clubface is totally unpunished and clubhead speed is constantly rewarded, meaning by this time next year everybody will be swinging 48". However there may be a similar law of diminishing returns, as longer shafts require lighter heads, lighter heads means less discretionary weight available to boost MOI/forgiveness so could negate the returns.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Having a driver, effectively, 38 inches long would mean, and I'm guessing here, that he couldn't swing it much faster than the irons, so about 100mph.
To create enough ball speed from 100mph swing for a ball to travel 300+ yards in the air would mean breaking CT and CoR limits.

D

Deleted member 18588

If he is nailing his driver 350-400yds then added length with irons is not really an issue.
No, but based on his performance at The Masters greater accuracy with the driver might have helped.

He appeared to be suffering the dreaded "two way" miss and that was with a standard length driver.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No, but based on his performance at The Masters greater accuracy with the driver might have helped.

He appeared to be suffering the dreaded "two way" miss and that was with a standard length driver.

Definitely a two way miss, especially the left, going left with some extra left on it. To me that is a swing issue though given it was a more conventional driver and probably a case of trying too hard, especially in the first round, to prove a point