48" Driver; One Length Irons?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18588
  • Start date

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
With regard to the average player:

(a) Longer drivers are rarely beneficial because we mere mortals don't have a consistent enough swing to hit a long driver out of the middle. I have experimented a lot with long drivers & shorter, heavier clubs. With the longer driver I rarely got it out of the middle & it was, if anything, shorter than the standard length. OK, the rare good shots gave me another 10 to 15 yards but, more often than not, I was playing my second shot out of the rough.

(b) Whereas we may have a 10 to 15 yard gap between irons, produced from a combination of length and loft the pros have much bigger gaps. Single length irons effectively reduce the gap & make clubbing easier.

I still struggle to understand how having wedges as long as a 7 iron helps. Surely a standard wedge it going to be more accurate.

In short, I don't think longer or single length clubs are good for the average player.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I still struggle to understand how having wedges as long as a 7 iron helps. Surely a standard wedge it going to be more accurate.

In short, I don't think longer or single length clubs are good for the average player.
I can understand the logic of having the swing the same for every iron, but I'm with you in that having a really long PW doesn't appeal in the slightest. Hitting a shorter club into a green is a treat, I wouldn't want to give that up. The only appeal in one-lengths is in long irons that are shorter - but the vast majority of people who've used them seem to say that the 5 & 6 iron lost distance, which makes them redundant as well. All in all not many positives really.

sunshine

Visit site

Totally agree. And not just for the average player. The Cobra one length clubs have been around for a few years now but I've not seen anyone use them other than BdC.

I still don't understand how they dial in a club with a 7 iron length shaft to go the same distance as a wedge, without creating a sky high ball flight? How do you then grip down and hit a low trajectory pitch?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I tried a set of the Cobra one length and hated the longer wedge for shots around the green. I felt I had to grip so far down it felt uncomfy and I felt with the longer length I couldn't commit to the shot. Pleasantly surprised how easy the 5 iron was to hit. One of the Saturday roll up has a set and I have hit a large bucket of balls with them off grass on the practice ground and I understand the concept on the full shot. It was the fiddly chip and runs I didn't like and the feeling of going to a conventional gap and sand wedge from a longer club. Made them feel shorter than they were

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What a load of tosh being spouted on here about one length irons.

The lofts are hardly different.

My old clubs were M2’s which the lofts were
4I 19*
5I 21.5*
6I 25*
7I 28.5*
81 33*
9i 38*
My speedzone one-length are

4I 19.5* ( I do not have this club, I have the onelength 4H 21* instead)
5I 22*
6I 24.5*
7i 27.5*
8i 32*
9i 37*

The way they work is on the weight placement in the head and different shafts.
My 5&6 have KBS tour 90 100gm
7,8 & 9 KBS tour 80 95gm
Wedges have KBS wedge 110gm.

Distance wise are about the same for me as my old M2’s
Roughly as measured with the arccos that come with clubs
5i 164
6i 155
7i 143
8I 131
9I 122
PW 110

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Thats interesting. The 5 and 6 have heavier shafts than the 7,8 and 9? I wouldn't have expected that.

Incidentally, I think the short length on hybrids are a great thing, seem to remember thats how hybrids were originally marketed in the early 00's.