4 Ball Group "refusing" to call a 2 ball through.

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In a December Stblfd Comp the following occurred - the last 4 groups out should have been 3 x 4 balls and lastly a 3 ball, due to a lot of no-shows it ended up as 4 ball - 2 ball - 4 ball - 2 ball. when the last 2 ball reached the 2nd tee the 4 ball ahead were looking for 2 off fairway drives, the 2 ball ahead of them were already a hole+ out of sight, this 4ball played to empty fairways/greens until the 17th hole.

They could/should have called the 2 ball through when looking for balls.
At the 10th tee all were in the trees and after a fairly long wait One player appeared walking back some 200 yds-ish to the Tee to take S & D penalty,
2 ball said "I suppose you are going to call us thro at last" answer "I`d already suggested we do this but the other 3 said not to" All reported in writing to the Committee.

It may not sound too bad to some but can you imagine spending 5 hours waiting to play every shot. They were not expected to keep up with a 2 ball but knew they had to be holding up a 2 ball behind them.
2 Ctee Meetings later - There were no penalties imposed, all have been spoken to by a cttee man, Notices are to be posted asking Members to be considerate other Players .

3 of this 4 ball will now spread their lack of etiquette to other groups, others that also won`t call thro will continue behave this way now knowing the Ctee will do nothing to stop it.

Is this a normal reaction from Ctees ? How would your ctee react to the above occurring at your Course.

I would add that all of the above was observed by a Ctee Person who was in the last 2 ball.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In a December Stblfd Comp the following occurred - the last 4 groups out should have been 3 x 4 balls and lastly a 3 ball, due to a lot of no-shows it ended up as 4 ball - 2 ball - 4 ball - 2 ball. when the last 2 ball reached the 2nd tee the 4 ball ahead were looking for 2 off fairway drives, the 2 ball ahead of them were already a hole+ out of sight, this 4ball played to empty fairways/greens until the 17th hole.

They could/should have called the 2 ball through when looking for balls.
At the 10th tee all were in the trees and after a fairly long wait One player appeared walking back some 200 yds-ish to the Tee to take S & D penalty,
2 ball said "I suppose you are going to call us thro at last" answer "I`d already suggested we do this but the other 3 said not to" All reported in writing to the Committee.

It may not sound too bad to some but can you imagine spending 5 hours waiting to play every shot. They were not expected to keep up with a 2 ball but knew they had to be holding up a 2 ball behind them.
2 Ctee Meetings later - There were no penalties imposed, all have been spoken to by a cttee man, Notices are to be posted asking Members to be considerate other Players .

3 of this 4 ball will now spread their lack of etiquette to other groups, others that also won`t call thro will continue behave this way now knowing the Ctee will do nothing to stop it.

Is this a normal reaction from Ctees ? How would your ctee react to the above occurring at your Course.

I would add that all of the above was observed by a Ctee Person who was in the last 2 ball.
It sounds bad...but I don't think it's a matter for committee sanctions - at least not in the first instance. As far as them spreading their attitude to other groups - it's up to other members to make clear that such behaviour as that group demonstrated is quite unacceptable.

If I am in a slow group and see a group behind waiting and we have dropped from the group ahead, I will pointedly say to my group that we are slow - that we either have to speed up to catch the group ahead or we have to let the group behind through. I make it clear that I don't see it as a matter for debate.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
poor not letting a faster group through, never heard of a penaulty for this before.....easy solution don't let 4 balls out in comps

greenone

Visit site
Slow players are slow players whether they are in a group of 2,3 or 4. I've seen a 2 ball hold up larger groups before. They should be sanctioned, only way to show them their behaviour is unacceptable.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If there are members who are known to be slow, then they should be firmly invited to play in the final group.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

As MikeH would say, the offenders should be taken round the back of the clubhouse and given a 'straightener' :ROFLMAO:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find people who refuse to let faster players through even when looking for wayward balls very arrogant.
There is just no excuse for it .
They should be sanctioned .
Three strikes throw them out the club.
They just spoil the game for everyone else.
By all means take as long as you like to play ,just don’t hold everyone else up.

D

Deleted member 3432

Just ignorant people, golfers are no different to ordinary mortals.

Every club has has them unfortunately.

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why wasn't the first 2 ball just held back to make up a 4 ball ?
Because it was only just before their tee time it was apparent others were not turning up, they were advised to send one player forward to make a three ball but said they couldn`t do this because they had already made their Cards out ! - can`t print what my response was to this. again only at the last groups tee time did the third player wasn`t going to be there.

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Would be interested to know what the OP expected the club to do, given that as far as we know this was a first offence.
If it had been up to me I would have given them a 2 comp ban, for heavens sake its basis rule stuff/common sense, we get plenty of social pay/play golfers and even most of them will ask if you want to play through and unless they are complete learners we are happy to stay as we are.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
If you have a starter, that person should have taken responsibility for ensuring the field didn’t finish 4 ball, 2 ball, 4 ball, 2 ball. At ours, if the starter tells people to move up/down to balance the groups, we don’t have an option to refuse.

The problem could have been resolved before any of the last three groups even started their rounds.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
If you have a starter, that person should have taken responsibility for ensuring the field didn’t finish 4 ball, 2 ball, 4 ball, 2 ball. At ours, if the starter tells people to move up/down to balance the groups, we don’t have an option to refuse.

The problem could have been resolved before any of the last three groups even started their rounds.
Yes, four groups of three would have been better - provided that it could be arranged given the tee time spacing and player availability.

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why didn't the last 2 ball demand to go through and make up another fourball with the other two in front? That would have solved the problem. If the fourball had refused, and I was there I would have kicked off.
The other 2 ball had caught up with those ahead who called them thro and nowhere in sight. "demand" tried that when they took S & D back to the tee - can`t really start hitting balls at people.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Spot on 4 balls playing in a medal round is always recipe for disaster.
Club to blame for allowing the situation.
I can confirm the recipe makes for a very unsavoury cake...our first medal after lockdown last year was played as 4 balls to get more members playing - to see how it went. It went very badly. Later groups were taking way over 5 hrs and many (including my own) walked in after 13 holes.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it had been up to me I would have given them a 2 comp ban, for heavens sake its basis rule stuff/common sense, we get plenty of social pay/play golfers and even most of them will ask if you want to play through and unless they are complete learners we are happy to stay as we are.

I suggest you join the committee. You will then find out that clubs have to take in a number of considerations before throwing out bans to people. A better way would be for comps to be better organised and the offenders spoken to.