3 and 4 man Stableford teams - Any advantage-

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When we have a roll up there are at times only 7 players.

We go out as a 4 and a 3, play Stableford, all scores to count and divide the resultant figure by 4 and 3 respectively with a winning score being say 34.5 or 34.66.

Some guys think that the 3 man team has an advantage as players do not tend to play to their handicap the majority of time and there are therefore less people to fit the criteria.

There are of course other arguments include more/ less time to play shots, pace of play, observe conditions, putts on green.

On the balance of probabilities does doe one group have an advantage?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
When we have a roll up there are at times only 7 players.

We go out as a 4 and a 3, play Stableford, all scores to count and divide the resultant figure by 4 and 3 respectively with a winning score being say 34.5 or 34.66.

Some guys think that the 3 man team has an advantage as players do not tend to play to their handicap the majority of time and there are therefore less people to fit the criteria.

There are of course other arguments include more/ less time to play shots, pace of play, observe conditions, putts on green.

On the balance of probabilities does doe one group have an advantage?

the roll up i play in has been going for some time and they have tried everything. its usually between 12 and 20 and sometime its a couple of 3 ball and a couple of 4, always better ball and come up with; 2 best scores per hole to count. 3 balls full handicap and 4 balls 3/4 handicap

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
If there is one then I'd say it would be small. Surely it's only an issue if it's the same 3 and 4 every week? If you draw the teams then any advantage (if there even is one) will even out over time.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No it is not the same partners but drawn.

I agree with your comments FW. What I was trying to determine from the 'Maths experts' is whether there is any formula to confirm this?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How about adding the lowest score from the 4 man team to the 3 man team to even it up?

Understand what you are saying but at times there may be 13 or 17.

All I am trying to find out is whether one team has an advantage when a 3 ball plays a 4 ball team event.

Whilst appreciate the alternatives offered this is not what I am asking more an involvement from people who are good at maths!

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ah sorry, cant help with the maths but when we have 3 balls following the 4 balls we have the highest handicapper as the partner for two others so he has two chances of winning . It was the lowest but guy who runs the "fiddle " noticed that he'd win more often than not so they changed it so guess there is some maths probability in there some where :thup:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I reckon the odds are about even? The fourball, with the extra player, has more chance of someone having a blinder. But on other hand, it also has more chance of one of them having a mare. So question boils down to whether a "blinder" is likely to be more above "normal" than a "mare" is below it? Over to the statisticians ...

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The teams performance is usually determined from the performance of the lowest score rather than the highest eg 36, 34, 33, 26 is more likely than 42, 34, 33, 31.
However a 4 is more likely to have a poor performer, but his performance will be more diluted!

I would suggest it's quite a good format for a drawn mixed number game - however it does put huge pressure on any weaker players in the group, and therefore the draw. Consideration of handicap adjustments for any known weaker players can resolve this very well.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why not do a 'blind draw' in the bar afterwards for any groups of 3, the person/score pulled only acts as a score and doesn't get two chances of winning, hope this makes sense.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why not do a 'blind draw' in the bar afterwards for any groups of 3, the person/score pulled only acts as a score and doesn't get two chances of winning, hope this makes sense.

Thanks for the input Arnold C but all I am after is probabilities of which team has a better chance, not options re HOW to balance the groups.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have this issue in our weekly rollup. Played as a stableford with 2 scores to count per hole towards team score.

Not sure there is a perfect solution but we do the following:

Teams of 4 play off 3/4 handicap - best 2 to count
Teams of 3 play off full handicap plus 2 shots - best 2 to count.

Seems to give a reasonable spread of winners but the team of 3 is more vulnerable to someone having a mare!