2023 Professional Golf thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
At the moment the DP World are letting these guys go...
Race to Dubai rankings
  1. Adrian Meronk
  2. Ryan Fox
  3. Victor Perez
  4. Min Woo Lee
  5. Sami Valimaki
  6. Robert MacIntyre
  7. Alexander Bjork
  8. Jorge Campillo
  9. Thorbjorn Olesen
  10. Ryo Hisatsune
So is it official that the DP Tour has become a feeder tour to the US PGA ?

It's sad to see the way the tour has sold out repeatedly to the point that it now ranks alongside the KFT in status - and that will be a diminishing position as the best players leave each year.

The PGAT clearly see a few events on the European Tour that they know are valuable - and I'd suspect the plan is to move them from co-sanctioned events to just classing them solely as part of the PGAT schedule - in order to try and establish the tour as 'International'.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Just like football, professional golf has been ruined by money.

I'm actually quite excited about the future of pro golf. Yes it's going through big changes, and as sad as it is to see the demise of the European Tour - we have to be realistic and acknowledge that the game needs to be more global - with events attracting top players visiting all parts of the world. One way or another - this will happen - Asia is going to be a huge financial player going forward, yet as golf fans we tend to overlook the area pretty much completely and the money from the middle east will keep pouring in.

Are top pro golfers (like footballers) paid too much? - Probably, but that's the nature of the beast. Quite a lot of them are doing good things with the wealth they are accumulating which has to be applauded.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm actually quite excited about the future of pro golf. Yes it's going through big changes, and as sad as it is to see the demise of the European Tour - we have to be realistic and acknowledge that the game needs to be more global - with events attracting top players visiting all parts of the world. One way or another - this will happen - Asia is going to be a huge financial player going forward, yet as golf fans we tend to overlook the area pretty much completely and the money from the middle east will keep pouring in.

Are top pro golfers (like footballers) paid too much? - Probably, but that's the nature of the beast. Quite a lot of them are doing good things with the wealth they are accumulating which has to be applauded.

The difference being is that golfers don't get paid if they don't perform, footballers do.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
At the moment the DP World are letting these guys go...
Race to Dubai rankings
  1. Adrian Meronk
  2. Ryan Fox
  3. Victor Perez
  4. Min Woo Lee
  5. Sami Valimaki
  6. Robert MacIntyre
  7. Alexander Bjork
  8. Jorge Campillo
  9. Thorbjorn Olesen
  10. Ryo Hisatsune
So is it official that the DP Tour has become a feeder tour to the US PGA ?
Just think, these 10 go across and do well enough to keep their cards, and next year a new crop come through with the same result and so on and so forth. The potential is there for the PGA Tour to be populated by Europeans. I wonder what the run of the mill Americans would make of it? They can't all go and play on the KFT, so have to come and play the DPWT.

cleveland52

Visit site
Just think, these 10 go across and do well enough to keep their cards, and next year a new crop come through with the same result and so on and so forth. The potential is there for the PGA Tour to be populated by Europeans. I wonder what the run of the mill Americans would make of it? They can't all go and play on the KFT, so have to come and play the DPWT.
Wow! Never thought of it like this before:). Eventually, the PGAT will become a feeder tour in a few years.
DPWT taking spots away from tour players. Where's the outrage?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Some great story lines from all over the world this weekend.

Ban Campbell pipping Cam Smith in Hong Kong. Phachara Khongwhatmai felled a tree to hit a shot - and the rules guy was OK with it... Ogletree also securing his qualification for LIV next year - it'll be interesting to see which team he goes to and how he performs - Hi Flyers seem to be getting the vote over on Twitter.

Max Homa with a popular win in South Africa, and of course Camilo Vegas taking his first win since the death of his daughter - the guy and his family must have gone through some dark days - I can imagine that victory means the absolute world to him. (y)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Mine was McIlroy calling Cantlay a D..k

I suppose we should really congratulate Rory on winning the R2D - it's certainly raised a few eyebrows given the amount of time he's 'committed' to the DPWT, but the questionable points allocations are not Rory's doing I guess.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Some may be thinking of putting a few sheckles on him bagging a major in 2024 now...🤔

Absolutely, it certainly won't harm his chances if it means he can take himself away from some of the topics he's clearly become embroiled in in recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.