2023 Professional Golf thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Well played, Rickie Fowler. His game really seemed in the doldrums but full credit for him for getting back to winning ways.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Slight tangent, but sky golf youtube has full live coverage of US ladies open at pebble (at least for Thurs and Friday ). Some nice morning catch up considering the unhelpful time zones.
Incidentally, is Pebble all that??
I go on a Scotland trip every year (plus a few cycling jaunts up there) and I don't get any particular fomo when comparing Scottish coastal courses to the Monterey peninsular. Scenery as good, rough not as stupid, no wending through upmarket housing estates, much better grasss/turf to hit from, better grass on the greens, superior sand in bunkers (and bunkering in general).
Weather's better as well, at least in late spring/early summer.
Longer days

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Slight tangent, but sky golf youtube has full live coverage of US ladies open at pebble (at least for Thurs and Friday ). Some nice morning catch up considering the unhelpful time zones.
I go on a Scotland trip every year (plus a few cycling jaunts up there) and I don't get any particular fomo when comparing Scottish coastal courses to the Monterey peninsular. Scenery as good, rough not as stupid, no wending through upmarket housing estates, much better grasss/turf to hit from, better grass on the greens, superior sand in bunkers (and bunkering in general).
Longer days

Outside of 6,7,8 and 18...no the course isn't all that, and at around $1000 to play it (you need to stay in the accommodation on site to guarantee a time etc), it likely isn't worth it.

Still a course I would like to play though.

Same could be said for the Bandon courses. Talking $5-6k to play and stay....can go to Scotland and get more traditional links.

The fact all these courses are booked solid for 99% of the year though, speaks volumes!

Swango1980

Visit site
Longer days
Played golf with a chap earlier this summer, who used to work in the oil industry. At times he was in the US a lot, and played a lot of corporate golf. That included playing Pebble Beach several times. He actually said it was one of his least favourite courses. Apart from a few iconic holes, a lot of it was like playing through a housing estate.

I'll take his word for it, although just had a look on Google Earth. The houses are hardly council estate quality. I reckon I'd quite enjoy playing it just to have a nosey at the houses.

Teebs

Visit site
US citizens seem to wet themselves to play Pebble (if you read GolfWRX at all). I'd like to play it given the opportunity, but I understand there's other courses in that area that are much better courses, just a little less famous.
Pebble Beach must absolutely rake the money in, $1000/round, accomodation/food/drinks won't be cheap.

On a slight tangent, looking at lots of the US course prices and how much they pay for CC membership makes you realise how lucky we are in the UK for access to good membership facilities for relatively little money (in comparison). I lived there for a while and it was a real eye-opener how much some places charged and that's before you add on their bar charges etc.

Reactions: D-S

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Played golf with a chap earlier this summer, who used to work in the oil industry. At times he was in the US a lot, and played a lot of corporate golf. That included playing Pebble Beach several times. He actually said it was one of his least favourite courses. Apart from a few iconic holes, a lot of it was like playing through a housing estate.

I'll take his word for it, although just had a look on Google Earth. The houses are hardly council estate quality. I reckon I'd quite enjoy playing it just to have a nosey at the houses.
I absolutely love Pebble and would love to play it.

Interesting story. In Alex Hay's autobiography he tells the tale of how while on a visit to the US he rocks up at Pebble and tries to get on the course. The booking chap has just finished telling him that he had no chance when a random punter who had just purchased his latest golf book in the Pro shop recognised Hay, approached him and asked him to sign the book. The booking chap took the situation in and immediately found a spot for him and his wife.

As an aside, if you haven't read Alex hay's autobiography I can thoroughly recommend it. He is a brilliant storyteller and lived an extraordinary golfing life.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Brooks' three ball yomping round in under 4 hours, nice, -5 for him so pretty tidy also.

Saffers often seem to play well in summer on these shores, Oosthuziun -8 today.

Smith atop the leaderboard. Pieters in the chasing group.

Teebs

Visit site
Good final day for Dan Brown who's from my neck of the woods. Few missed cuts recently but that should help, looks like he's off to the US to play in some of the Co-sanctioned events.

D

Deleted member 27823

For the love of god, please play a different hole!!! Anyone else stuck with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.