2023 Professional Golf thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 15344

Ryder Cup, if you don't pick the best players, it does diminish the event no matter how long you stick your head in the sand.

How do you judge the best players ?

When you look at the Europeans- all their best players are playing on the ET or PGAT - is there anyone really on LIV that anyone could see qualifying - maybe Pieters at a push

The US Team - it’s prob just Koepka really if he keeps up his form from Augusta

Most of the LIV players you would struggle to see qualifying out right for the Ryder or even being in the Top 12 points.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ryder Cup, if you don't pick the best players, it does diminish the event no matter how long you stick your head in the sand.

What is it, 5 months away? That’s a lifetime in golfing form terms.
I’m not sure if it applies to Europe but let’s say the guy who takes Koepkas spot bombs and the USA lose by a really small margin it isn’t going to go down well with the US golf fans. Well we lost but we won the moral argument…🤔 yeah really.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
LIV would have been a great move for Rory as a team captain - but that ship has probably sailed now, unless the Saudis can find a few more hundred million sheckles down the back of the sofa to lure him over. ;-)

Rory has plenty of form for doing an about-face on several topics... but even he's not daft enough to do it on this topic

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rory has plenty of form for doing an about-face on several topics... but even he's not daft enough to do it on this topic
After all the rubbish he's spouted about it, he'd be a laughing stock if he did!

I was joking btw (obviously) I didn't actually mean to launch a discussion about Rory to LIV - it was meant to be a ridiculous notion. :LOL:

D

Deleted member 15344

What is it, 5 months away? That’s a lifetime in golfing form terms.
I’m not sure if it applies to Europe but let’s say the guy who takes Koepkas spot bombs and the USA lose by a really small margin it isn’t going to go down well with the US golf fans. Well we lost but we won the moral argument…🤔 yeah really.

Guess that would really only be relevant if Koepka gets into the top 6 of the points - that’s the only way he or any other players gets a spot - after those 6 then it’s the captains choice and most of the time they then pick the next 6. Koepka right now is 19th - win a major and then the dilemma appears for Johnson

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Guess that would really only be relevant if Koepka gets into the top 6 of the points - that’s the only way he or any other players gets a spot - after those 6 then it’s the captains choice and most of the time they then pick the next 6. Koepka right now is 19th - win a major and then the dilemma appears for Johnson

Totally forgot about DJ lol (I know you didn’t mean that one 😉)
I get the ranking points argument but if you’re consistently finishing well in majors then for me you’re a shoe in to the team regardless of where you play your golf. Majors are the true test imo but I accept a lot of players grind week in week out on tour to try to get a Ryder Cup spot, players like Homa, exceptional tour player but I don’t recall him smashing it at a major yet.

D

Deleted member 15344

Totally forgot about DJ lol.
I get the ranking points argument but if you’re consistently finishing well in majors then for me you’re a shoe in to the team regardless of where you play your golf. Majors are the true test imo but I accept a lot of players grind week in week out on tour to try to get a Ryder Cup spot, players like Homa, exceptional tour player but I don’t recall him smashing it at a major yet.

Sorry I was meaning Zach Johnson but yep DJ is the other player that the US would want there

If they do well consistently in the Majors then that might give them enough points

But we have seen in the past where players got in through some good early Major finishes and then bomb. You’re right about Homa - not even got a top ten but will consistently play well on the PGAT.

After The Open will give a clearer picture - at the moment Koepka is the one that’s going to ask the question

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Sometimes the best Ryder Cup players aren't necessarily the best individual 'normal' competition players (ie, 72 hole, stroke).... before we fell out of 'love*' with Poulter, he was an excellent Ryder Cup player; same with Garcia... yet neither, in the recent Ryder Cup history, were the 'best' - you certainly could have made arguments for other players over them.

I think the USA would look at Koepka, DJ and probably 'Captain America' Reed.... if Koepka is back in form, and both he & DJ were playing in the PGAT they'd be in the team, either on merit or as one of the ridiculous number of wildcard picks. Commercially, Reed is pure gold, and he is good, but it's probably easier to pass on him.

Respectfully, the Europeans just don't have the strength in depth - of the players on the DPWT & PGAT, there's 7, maybe 8, you'd guarantee, but it's the remainder and I'd make a case, because of the type of event, the some players not on either of those tours would be good choices (past performance, experience, ability in the format etc.). Pieters has been mentioned, but there's Casey too and really, if it came to it, in different circumstances, we'd be making a case for some of the others as wildcard picks.

This isn't a Ryder Cup thread, or indeed a McIlroy thread, but the emotion at the end of the last Ryder Cup by McIlroy does in hindsight indicate the fine mental balance that he is under both personally and from outside (anointed as the savior of golf & tiger replacement). I am assuming we will see him at Wells Fargo, he will put himself forward for media, he will comment on his absence, LIV, his mental state etc., but I think the culmination of the past few years has taken it's toll and others need to take on the role of PGAT spokesperson; Rahm needs to take on the role of Ryder Cup player Chief etc. He's got himself so convinced that mentality and psychology is the answer to assume all responsibilities whilst trying to win, that he has attempted to become an expert in the field and his keenness to talk about it and what he's doing is just letting us know he is self aware, increasingly knowledgeable about it, and dealing with it, when, in fact, it's the opposite. Of course I've just done the same to him as he's doing to himself so what do I know! But honestly, at this moment in time, I'd just like a mentally healthy McIlroy who bounces down the course.

*only ever liked him at the Ryder Cup!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Sometimes the best Ryder Cup players aren't necessarily the best individual 'normal' competition players (ie, 72 hole, stroke).... before we fell out of 'love*' with Poulter, he was an excellent Ryder Cup player; same with Garcia... yet neither, in the recent Ryder Cup history, were the 'best' - you certainly could have made arguments for other players over them.

I think the USA would look at Koepka, DJ and probably 'Captain America' Reed.... if Koepka is back in form, and both he & DJ were playing in the PGAT they'd be in the team, either on merit or as one of the ridiculous number of wildcard picks. Commercially, Reed is pure gold, and he is good, but it's probably easier to pass on him.

Respectfully, the Europeans just don't have the strength in depth - of the players on the DPWT & PGAT, there's 7, maybe 8, you'd guarantee, but it's the remainder and I'd make a case, because of the type of event, the some players not on either of those tours would be good choices (past performance, experience, ability in the format etc.). Pieters has been mentioned, but there's Casey too and really, if it came to it, in different circumstances, we'd be making a case for some of the others as wildcard picks.

This isn't a Ryder Cup thread, or indeed a McIlroy thread, but the emotion at the end of the last Ryder Cup by McIlroy does in hindsight indicate the fine mental balance that he is under both personally and from outside (anointed as the savior of golf & tiger replacement). I am assuming we will see him at Wells Fargo, he will put himself forward for media, he will comment on his absence, LIV, his mental state etc., but I think the culmination of the past few years has taken it's toll and others need to take on the role of PGAT spokesperson; Rahm needs to take on the role of Ryder Cup player Chief etc. He's got himself so convinced that mentality and psychology is the answer to assume all responsibilities whilst trying to win, that he has attempted to become an expert in the field and his keenness to talk about it and what he's doing is just letting us know he is self aware, increasingly knowledgeable about it, and dealing with it, when, in fact, it's the opposite. Of course I've just done the same to him as he's doing to himself so what do I know! But honestly, at this moment in time, I'd just like a mentally healthy McIlroy who bounces down the course.

*only ever liked him at the Ryder Cup!

Yep, while there are at least two or three US players on LIV that will be in contention for a Ryder Cup place, it's fair to say that picking any of the European members of the tour would be a fairly 'wild' wildcard. However, going forward, there are several LIV players that would have been fantastic team captains and vice's - Poulter, Garcia, Westwood, Stenson, Casey, McDowell etc - all with tonnes of experience under their belts - and if they are not going to be allowed to lead future Ryder Cup teams, it makes you question who will do it, without recycling a lot of past captains.
The history of the Ryder Cup goes much deeper than the two parties that seem to want to dictate it's future - which might not be in the best interests of the event.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Quality 62 from Scott Vincent to push onto the leaderboard. Difficult to call from the leading group tomorrow though (Koepka, Garcia, Gooch).

Can we go as far down as Pereira to suggest he might have a chance - probably not, the course seems to be lending itself to consistent scoring and there are some seriously experienced and talented players ahead of him. Got to fancy one of those three or Smith for the win.

Rangegoats ftw in the team event. 🤞

liv leaderboard.png

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
With the changed start time thought I'd miss the conclusion in singapore, but the subsequent delay helped. Garcia & Gooch level with the last to play....
Good to see Canter had a HIO earlier.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Sergio left himself an incredibly difficult bunker shot there in that play off, almost nailed it as well.
Gooch and the The Rangegoats winning will be great for momentum as they head towards Tulsa - I'd be expecting a decent crowd there.

D

Deleted member 1147

Decent win for Larrazabal in S Korea, I had been expecting a bit more from MacIntyre though.
Bobmac struggled yesterday, on ku his excellent wedge game saved him shots.
It was highly likely that he would struggle today.

Status
Not open for further replies.