2022 World Cup.

4LEX

Visit site
I've been pretty upbeat about the World Cup but today was horrible. A load of virtue signalling on the BBC - complaining about everything yet still there picking up their large fees. Dion Dublin being Dion Dublin. To think of the all iconic voices the BBC have had over the years and we're now stuck with that clown (n)

Terrible atmosphere, bizzare fake supporters and a shocking performance from the hosts. Tomorrow it starts for real though! :whistle:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been pretty upbeat about the World Cup but today was horrible. A load of virtue signalling on the BBC - complaining about everything yet still there picking up their large fees. Dion Dublin being Dion Dublin. To think of the all iconic voices the BBC have had over the years and we're now stuck with that clown (n)

Terrible atmosphere, bizzare fake supporters and a shocking performance from the hosts. Tomorrow it starts for real though! :whistle:

Thought the BBC once again did brilliantly. Continuing to raise the point

Don't go? Yeah they could do that, but out there constantly mentioning it keeps it in the front of people's minds rather than just forgetting about it and not talking about it on air.

Well played.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If I want to watch ‘indignation’, hypocrisy and political posturing, i’ll watch Question Time. At least there is an audience there to provide a dose of reality and an element of challenge to keep the virtue signalling in check.

The opening game was never going to be a classic but it was terrible. I lasted until 36 minutes before turning over. Dion Dublin is robbing a living. I’d prefer to listen to 90 mins of him playing the Dube than his attempts at co-commentary.

However, it’s still the World Cup. I’ve got half a day from work and we’ve got a table booked at the pub. England should make light work of Iran (should…) and I’m sure a 3 or 4 nil win will get me bang into the tournament. Senegal vs Netherlands is a great game on paper to build off an England win. And then we might see Wales win a World Cup game for the first time in a few generations.

Swango1980

Visit site
Was it ever discovered why that first goal was disallowed????
Didn't see anything wrong with it, other than powderpuff goalkeeping.
The guy behind the ones jumping for header had a knee marginally offside I believe.

The difficulty was that, when it happened, everyone was confused as to why it was disallowed. Not even sure if anyone knew it was a foul or offside.

A few mins later, one quick replay was shown to indicate offside, although it wasn't the best angle, and was done quickly. Dion Dublin just said, ohh offside, fair enough, and that was that. There was zero discussion, and no more replays given. So it even left television viewers confused, let alone fans in stadium (if there were any real ones).

Who is in charge of broadcasting images? FIFA? I bet they don't show anything that might be controversial, and I bet they are very selective in who they show in the crowd.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
The guy behind the ones jumping for header had a knee marginally offside I believe.

The difficulty was that, when it happened, everyone was confused as to why it was disallowed. Not even sure if anyone knew it was a foul or offside.

A few mins later, one quick replay was shown to indicate offside, although it wasn't the best angle, and was done quickly. Dion Dublin just said, ohh offside, fair enough, and that was that. There was zero discussion, and no more replays given. So it even left television viewers confused, let alone fans in stadium (if there were any real ones).

Who is in charge of broadcasting images? FIFA? I bet they don't show anything that might be controversial, and I bet they are very selective in who they show in the crowd.
That's how it should be for offsides. VAR says offside so fair enough and move on. It's an area where it should be pretty foolproof. The constant wailing about lines etc just gets tedious.

Swango1980

Visit site
That's how it should be for offsides. VAR says offside so fair enough and move on. It's an area where it should be pretty foolproof. The constant wailing about lines etc just gets tedious.
Yes, but we didn't know that. The game continued, and nobody knew what VAR ruled it out for. It was only a few minutes later it was clarified, and the brief replay was misleading.

Swango1980

Visit site
Under what footballing Law can Harry Kane (or others) be booked for wearing a captains armband?
5. Slogans, statements, images and advertising

Equipment must not have any political, religious or personal slogans, statements or images. Players must not reveal undergarments that show political, religious, personal slogans, statements or images, or advertising other than the manufacturer's logo. For any offence the player and/or the team will be sanctioned by the competition organiser, national football association or by FIFA.

Principles

• Law 4 applies to all equipment (including clothing) worn by players, substitutes and substituted players; it's principles also apply to all team officials in the technical area
  • The following are (usually) permitted:
    • the player's number, name, team crest/logo, initiative slogans/emblems promoting the game of football, respect and integrity as well as any advertising permitted by competition rules or national FA, confederation or FIFA regulations
    • the facts of a match: teams, date, competition/event, venue
  • Permitted slogans, statements or images should be confined to the shirt front and/or armband
  • In some cases, the slogan, statement or image might only appear on the captain's armband
Interpreting the Law

When interpreting whether a slogan, statement or image is permissible, note should be taken of Law 12 (Fouls and Misconduct), which requires the referee to take action against a player who is guilty of:

• using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or action(s)
  • acting in a provocative, derisory or inflammatory way
Any slogan, statement or image which falls into any of these categories is not permitted.

Whilst 'religious' and 'personal' are relatively easily defined, 'political' is less clear but slogans, statements or images related to the following are not permitted:

• any person(s), living or dead (unless part of the official competition name)
  • any local, regional, national or international political party/organisation/group, etc.
  • any local, regional or national government or any of its departments, offices or functions
  • any organisation which is discriminatory
  • any organisation whose aims/actions are likely to offend a notable number of people
  • any specific political act/event
When commemorating a significant national or international event, the sensibilities of the opposing team (including its supporters) and the general public should be carefully considered.

Competition rules may contain further restrictions/limitations, particularly in relation to the size, number and position of permitted slogans, statements and images. It is recommended that disputes relating to slogans, statements or images be resolved prior to a match/competition taking place.

Swango1980

Visit site
Football Associations have now jointly come out to ask their captains not to wear the One Love armband. They do not want to put their players under pressure of getting personal sanctions, after talks with FIFA, but would have been willing to pay any fines if that was the only punishment.

Will be interesting to see if any captains come out and wear it anyway.

Been watching the 4-part FIFA documentary on Netflix. FIFA must be one of the most corrupt organisations in the world. It absolutely stinks.