Russell Brand

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Never met him, don’t really want to meet him either, probably not my cup of tea.
He has been accused by the Times and Channel 4 and 4 women of serious sexual offences including rape.

Now I have no idea if he is guilty or not, but to my mind trial by media is never a good thing. They should have gone to the police with their evidence and let a proper prosecution take place.

What is happening is character assassination and although he has released a video refuting the allegations the damage to his reputation (not that he has much of one) will be serious. Even if he is exonerated.

I really don’t like this type of journalism, it goes against my idea of fair play.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never met him, don’t really want to meet him either, probably not my cup of tea.
He has been accused by the Times and Channel 4 and 4 women of serious sexual offences including rape.

Now I have no idea if he is guilty or not, but to my mind trial by media is never a good thing. They should have gone to the police with their evidence and let a proper prosecution take place.

What is happening is character assassination and although he has released a video refuting the allegations the damage to his reputation (not that he has much of one) will be serious. Even if he is exonerated.

I really don’t like this type of journalism, it goes against my idea of fair play.

What I don't like is all the celebs that the press have evidence on and sit on it until it suits them. This story has almost broken a few times but they have sat on it

It feels like it's almost like they want to damage him now rather than actual justice for the women involved (if true ofc)

If you have evidence of someone's guilt go to the police.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Looking at some unsocial media sites, his fans are saying it’s all a conspiracy as he was exposing “the elite” on his you tube channel.

I can’t stand the guy but like others have said go to the police not the press

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking at some unsocial media sites, his fans are saying it’s all a conspiracy as he was exposing “the elite” on his you tube channel.

I can’t stand the guy but like others have said go to the police not the press

I dont mind the fact the victims have gone to the press and together are bringing this to light

But I do mind the press suppressing it until it suits , they should be duty bound to go to the police when the evidence is adding up

This should have come out years ago

Trying to copy the article as behind a pay wall but it's so long it's above max post length. Max copy and paste length for my notes and max screen shot length

I read it in length last night and the details , with verified bits like rape support centres, txts from a number confirmed to him were very damning

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Whatever you might think of Brand’s ’entertainment’ value he gives addicts out there a very strong and positive message on addiction recovery. I am guessing that much if not all of which he is accused will have happened whilst he was in depths of his addictions (not that that excuses it if found to be true).

Like others I am not keen on sensational media exposure of celebrity misdemeanour.

D-S

Visit site
I watched the Dispatches documentary on Channel 4 last night. Really damning, unpleasant stuff and the companies (media organisations)that he worked with and for do not come out well. Classic case of power gone mad and those around him ‘not disturbing the talent’. Felt very sorry for the women who were brave enough to come forward. Quite harrowing testimonies. I fully agree with the idea that this should be a serious police matter first though.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It was a very uncomfortable watch. The companies who kept employing him while being all too aware of his reputation should be ashamed of themselves.

D-S

Visit site
Aah, I didn't realise you had seen all the evidence.

I don't know anything about him other than having seen his name from time to time.
I’m not sure if you are being sarcastic in suggesting that I may have seen ‘all the evidence’ but I would suggest you see the documentary and make your own mind up.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m not sure if you are being sarcastic in suggesting that I may have seen ‘all the evidence’ but I would suggest you see the documentary and make your own mind up.
I have no interest in the case but am concerned when accusations are made of guilt without trial.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Mod edit - quoted post deleted.

Seeing as I’m the only one who has used the words “sense of fair play” on this thread, you must be referring to the opening post.

The whole point of my post was against the trial by media circus as it is the wrong way to deal with this as it should be dealt with by a court of law

At no time did I show support for him nor did I trivialise the accusations, which are very serious.

What they have done by doing this program is seriously prejudice any prospect of a future trial as finding a jury without pre existing opinions is going to be near impossible.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 15344

It’s simple for me

The media should only report the facts

If the facts point to someone potentially being guilty then that’s the situation

We need to be at a place where anyone can feel safety to come out and report any potential wrongdoings and the “stars” need to know that they can’t be protected by the media

Any true guilt or innocence will be ultimately decided in the courts

D

Deleted member 15344

Mod edit - quoted post deleted.

Not sure how you can suggest that rape has been “decriminalised” - people will get charged depending on the facts and evidence and if there is enough there for Brand to be charged he will be and will face a jury

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I used to know someone that was assaulted by Jimmy Savile and spent many of their teenage years confused and ashamed. It wasn’t until they were in their 30’s, nearly twenties years after the assault, that they first felt able to go to the police. They did nothing. The BBC did nothing. That haunted them in their entire adult life. No justice in his lifetime. Is that fair play?

Should society let that happen again? It’s no secret that the police and CPS are facing huge delays and difficulties in tackling sexual violence. So is it a surprise that victims might feel they have no avenue towards justice? Do we know for certain they haven’t already gone to the police and been ignored?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Not sure how you can suggest that rape has been “decriminalised” - people will get charged depending on the facts and evidence and if there is enough there for Brand to be charged he will be and will face a jury
In England and Wales, more than 99% of rapes reported to police do not end in a conviction. This is the result of a criminal justice system that makes prosecuting rape extremely rare, lengthy and difficult.

Cases take, on average, 817 days to reach court, and 63% of cases are closed because the victim has given up on the process and withdrawn from it.

This information is now publicly available and searchable through new justice scorecards published by the government.

Given the above, C4 and The Sunday Times were quite justified in broadcasting / publishing. They spent 4 years investigating, it's investigative journalism, not gutter journalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.