2022 Professional golf thread

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Still find it phenomenal how long Lyida Ko and Rory have been at the top of their respective rankings for so long and neither that old (appreciate there is obviously an age gap). Hopefully Rory brings it home now.

D

Deleted member 15344

Spoiler alert !!!!!!!!!

please do not read on if you dont want to know that Rory had a stunning burst of birdies on the back 9 to win his 3rd event of the year and to go back to no 1 ?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sure, McIlroy is undoubtedly the worlds best golfer at the moment.
One could draw parallels with Greg Norman himself though. Rory has two critical majors more, but the best golfer in the world under-majoring syndrome seems similar.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Yep, based on the strokes gained data Rory def deserves to be nbr 1. ? Has done for a while to be fair.

For fun though, some choice stats...

Of his top 8 contributing points tournaments :
3 were restricted field, no cut, no Monday qualifying
1 was 54 holes
3 of his 4 wins were the same 3 as above

Perhaps he doth protest too much ... ??

Back on a serious note - good to see Fleetwood playing well again, in particularly putting well on the Sunday ?

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sure, McIlroy is undoubtedly the worlds best golfer at the moment.
One could draw parallels with Greg Norman himself though. Rory has two critical majors more, but the best golfer in the world under-majoring syndrome seems similar.

Personally i'd say strength in depth is greater now making majors harder to win. I think the rankings and number of wins (i.e. all wins) is the key reference point to who's the best but i appreciate many will still consider it majors only.

sunshine

Visit site
Yep, based on the strokes gained data Rory def deserves to be nbr 1. ? Has done for a while to be fair.

For fun though, some choice stats...

Of his top 8 contributing points tournaments :
3 were restricted field, no cut, no Monday qualifying
1 was 54 holes
3 of his 4 wins were the same 3 as above

Perhaps he doth protest too much ... ??

Back on a serious note - good to see Fleetwood playing well again, in particularly putting well on the Sunday ?

He must have some good differentials in there. What’s the average of his best 8 rounds from his last 20?

Swango1980

Visit site
He must have some good differentials in there. What’s the average of his best 8 rounds from his last 20?
Based on McIlroy's last 20 PGA Tour rounds, his handicap Index would be +8.7 (Or -8.7 for those that don't like the Plus Handicapper Terminology :) ). Two caveats:

1. Not taking PCC into account
2. I've not rounded any bad scores down to nett double bogey, if he had any (bearing in mind several holes a double would need to be rounded down to a bogey for him)

His best Score Diff was -10.4 at East Lake, and his worst of the 20 -0.9