2020 Open Championship

sunshine

Visit site
the R&A have not said the Open is going ahead, they are still reviewing. They have a detailed plan which they successfully execute every year to stage this major undertaking. They know what the dates on the critical path are for ad ahead of those, decisions can be reviewed. That is all they said. :ROFLMAO:

Spot on! But don't let facts and logic get in the way of melodramatic posters on a crusade!

sunshine

Visit site
I doubt that the R&A could afford to run the event funded only by sponsors and TV money.

The income from ticket sales, hospitality and tented village represents a massive proportion of the total each year.

The broadcasting rights do not generate the same sort of figures as the Premier League.

Plus, as an event, it would be as flat as a fart thereby devaluing it in the future.

True. But most of the European tour is played on empty courses with only a handful of spectators.

Without spectators, the R&A could massively reduce the cost base: hundreds of people are employed for hospitality, security, catering, stewards, policing, parking. Then the rental costs of temporary grandstands, marquees, fields for parking etc. My feeling is the Open will be cancelled, but the R&A need to examine all the options.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
.They have a detailed plan which they successfully execute every year to stage this major undertaking. They know what the dates on the critical path are for ad ahead of those, decisions can be reviewed. That is all they said. :ROFLMAO:

Probably the key in all the thinking

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Wimbledon was due to finish on the Sunday prior to The Open and cancelled yesterday.
The "build" for Wimbledon is likely to be less than for The Open due to the former being on a permanent site it is unrealistic to expect the R&A to defer making their decision beyond a few days more.

Really good observation (and contradicts my thoughts above!!) Would be really interesting to see what the different criteria are. (which we probably won't!) Maybe they have to plant the strawberries this week! :)

D

Deleted member 18588

True. But most of the European tour is played on empty courses with only a handful of spectators.

Without spectators, the R&A could massively reduce the cost base: hundreds of people are employed for hospitality, security, catering, stewards, policing, parking. Then the rental costs of temporary grandstands, marquees, fields for parking etc. My feeling is the Open will be cancelled, but the R&A need to examine all the options.

And what is the prize fund differential between those events and The Open.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Really good observation (and contradicts my thoughts above!!) Would be really interesting to see what the different criteria are. (which we probably won't!) Maybe they have to plant the strawberries this week! :)
On that side of things...
I used to procure the frozen fish Wimbledon used for the championships - they had specific requirements.
It came from the Far East and had a 2 month lead time.
With everything that's going on..that lead time could be anything.
Just one factor but it does show how far ahead some things have to be organised.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
..that will not happen!
  • There are laws re the minimum notice period you have to give emergency services for large public events. - Which they wouldn't get in current emergency anyway!
  • The are deadlines for licencing and insurance - which they won't get if the above isn't in place!
  • There are minimum timings for suppliers and putting in the infrastructure - again, dependent on the above
  • Anyone going to Sandwich will have booked accommodation with ticket or soon after, or they won't get any! No scrambling!

that is without all the other variables! Which to the original point, the R&A have not said the Open is going ahead, they are still reviewing. They have a detailed plan which they successfully execute every year to stage this major undertaking. They know what the dates on the critical path are for ad ahead of those, decisions can be reviewed. That is all they said. :ROFLMAO:

I'm not suggesting these things will just be getting planned now. What I can tell you is I can almost guarantee that a lot of people working in these planning roles will have been pulled and redeployed elsewhere at this time. Emergency planning for Covid 19 takes priority over Colonel Rupert Barnaby [Mod edit] sitting in the R&A clubhouse demanding that the British spirit is enough to hold the Open.

I suspect that the Americans who are reluctant travellers at the best of times will not be overly keen to support The Open this year either.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1740

I'm not suggesting these things will just be getting planned now. What I can tell you is I can almost guarantee that a lot of people working in these planning roles will have been pulled and redeployed elsewhere at this time. Emergency planning for Covid 19 takes priority over Colonel Rupert Barnaby [Mod edit] sitting in the R&A clubhouse demanding that the British spirit is enough to hold the Open.

I suspect that the Americans who are reluctant travellers at the best of times will not be overly keen to support The Open this year either.

Bonus. Even more reason to delay the decision.

I'm sure the R&A, USPGA,ET and the likes are all in conversation about getting all golf comps back on track. The Masters isnt cancelled just postponed.

Maybe the plan/Thoughts are to play The Open as the 1st Comp back?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Americans are the first to stop travelling and the last to resume! Tickets for this were sold out ages ago... can't argue with the delay, they know what they are doing re the organisation - what no one knows is the state of the country at any time this summer!

I would think a go/no go decision mid-May is feasible. That's 6 weeks away and a full 2 month window,,,

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I don't think Wimbledon can really be played any other time than Summer though. Whilst it would be bloody cold, The Open could be played late October. It also so happens that it's in Kent and not Scotland/Northern England this year, so weather could work out ok for a postponement.

What I'm getting at is that I think Wimbledon had an easier decision to make. The R&A are probably thinking that if they hold out a little longer and it becomes apparent that July is a no go, then October *might* be an option.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think Wimbledon can really be played any other time than Summer though. Whilst it would be bloody cold, The Open could be played late October. It also so happens that it's in Kent and not Scotland/Northern England this year, so weather could work out ok for a postponement.

What I'm getting at is that I think Wimbledon had an easier decision to make. The R&A are probably thinking that if they hold out a little longer and it becomes apparent that July is a no go, then October *might* be an option.

I don't think it can, not enough daylight at that time of year to get everyone round over the first 2 days. By mid October sunset is around 6pm in that part of the world.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I don't think it can, not enough daylight at that time of year to get everyone round over the first 2 days. By mid October sunset is around 6pm in that part of the world.
Do you mean to say that you don't think pros playing in 3-balls can finish in 4 hours?! :D

I didn't think of that, I must admit...

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you mean to say that you don't think pros playing in 3-balls can finish in 4 hours?! :D

I didn't think of that, I must admit...

In normal circumstances on Day 1 and Day 2, you still have folk teeing off up till 4:30pm, and tee times start at 6:30am. Sunrise isn't until 7:30am at that time of year and sunset is around 6pm, so assuming the same number of entries then it's simply not possible to get everyone round with the available daylight.

So it's summer or cancelled for the Open IMO.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

That might be so in Cumbernauld but down here in deepest Kent the sun never goes down on us ??

D

Deleted member 17920

If it does happen I can’t see it happening with spectators they had originally planned on. Hard to keep social distancing with over 200,000 people over a few days. The grandstands are packed solid and no way you can keep 2m apart.

I would be very surprised if they postpone it till August September time because the light issues will start so they will have to do a reduced field.

And what happens with regional and final qualifying?

I would love to see them play it in the same conditions we had in November ?

D

Deleted member 18588

I doubt the prize fund is a key factor in all this. If they played for a reduced prize fund for one year I can't see how it would make any difference.

The "one man and his dog" events typically have prize funds less than one-fifth of that at The Open so the R&A would presumably have to massively reduce the fund.

In that case what quality and depth of field is a closed doors event likely to attract. Certainly many overseas players might be reluctant to visit.

This would reduce the Championship's standing in the eyes of players and public creating problems going forward.

Personally I would hate to see The Open cancelled but the practical problems of staging it in July means that will be the likely outcome.

As for rescheduling it later in the year, good luck with that one. American TV aren't going to be keen to pay a high price for the rights if it is to compete on their schedules with the NFL and baseball.

Hope I'm wrong about cancellation but I fear that I'm not.