2020 Open Championship

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No surprise on the cancellation.

Am surprised on the rollover of tickets to 2021 as it's going to make getting tickets harder for those who weren't going to 2020. This is going to be interesting. :)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Expected outcome, just never thought it would be confirm this soon.

Gutted but there’s bigger issues than a golf competition.

I think the Muppets in blazers didn't realise the negative press they would get when they didn't cancel it originally.

Reactions: Val

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I think the Muppets in blazers didn't realise the negative press they would get when they didn't cancel it originally.

I think the earlier post on here referencing the cancellation of Wimbledon made a great call....and predicted this a few days after. Last week's statement said it was "under review" - not on or off. Any negative press last week was only as a result of folk misreporting the statement. (that's my understanding :) )

And for Muppets, the flookily manage to run a decent event;)

D

Deleted member 1740

I wonder what’s changed in 3 days?

Like I said earlier, fully expected it to be cancelled but thought they should’ve been given the maximum amount time as things change.

I can only assume they’ve had conversations with people in authority and they’ve given them the info the need.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
The right call. Shame the 150th Open will not be back at St Andrews. but you can't just leave RSG with a multi million pound debt for any longer than possible.

Any news on tickets purchased? Refund and then reapply or tickets to carry forward ?
You're never in charge of my card if we pay together....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

User20204

Visit site
I wonder what’s changed in 3 days?

Like I said earlier, fully expected it to be cancelled but thought they should’ve been given the maximum amount time as things change.

I can only assume they’ve had conversations with people in authority and they’ve given them the info the need.

Agreed but surely they must have had conversation with those before they made a statement 3 days ago, then again, should we really be surprised by anything the R&A do.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The right call. Shame the 150th Open will not be back at St Andrews. but you can't just leave RSG with a multi million pound debt for any longer than possible.

Any news on tickets purchased? Refund and then reapply or tickets to carry forward ?

If this year is cancelled and they play the 149th next then the 150th will still be at st.A, no?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Apparently the US Open is being postponed to 17th-20th September.
Think it's a great idea as the US has such a vast array of different climates they can hold events at times of the year other countries simply cannot, the masters could be played late on in the year aswell as it's pretty far down south and the weather will still be ok in September/October

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd imagine the FedEx cup playoffs wont be happening this year as too many events have been missed so I wouldn't see any scheduling issues

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Obviously at the moment it’s a no brainer to not have the open, could they not delay in the hope of having it say August / September time if the government restrictions are lifted.
It’s probably not as easy as what I’m saying, it just seems like a premature decision.

D

Deleted member 18588

Obviously at the moment it’s a no brainer to not have the open, could they not delay in the hope of having it say August / September time if the government restrictions are lifted.
It’s probably not as easy as what I’m saying, it just seems like a premature decision.

You have to factor in the qualification events, both here and overseas.

IMO those are absolutely essential as they are very much part of making The Open Championship the best event in world golf as it is a truly open event.

Another post made the suggestion that provided the world's top 50 were present that would be OK but just look at the World Rankings and see some of those that would then be excluded.

No, it is very sad, but for me it's the right decision in very difficult circumstances.