2020 Open Championship

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Not a hope in hell of getting the agreement of all parties, including players, to a schedule like the one suggested above.

Indeed the Ryder Cup is the only one I could see surviving as it carries no status or WGR points.

Sod the Ryder Cup, Harrington wants this as his show by the sounds of it, bleating about how he should just be allowed to pick 12 players now.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
What do you mean no one will skip it. Americans don't like traveling at the best of times. Covid 19 risks just gives another reason to skip the Open.

Parts of USA and even South Africa may even still have travel restrictions in place.

What american's have skipped the Open in recent years?

If there's travel restrictions, there's travel restrictions - but nothing to suggest that would still be the case in August.
A 4 month window takes you from March, to the end of June. 5 months, to end of July.

D

Deleted member 18588

Sod the Ryder Cup, Harrington wants this as his show by the sounds of it, bleating about how he should just be allowed to pick 12 players now.

Quite happy to sod the Ryder Cup but my point was that is more likely to survive due to the nature of the event.

From a personal perspective I would shed no tears if the RC was permanently scrapped.

D

Deleted member 17920

also check flight radar.

Still a lot of flights happening.
They are mainly carrying cargo.

Not passengers, some are carrying UK citizens back but going out empty.

Americans wont travel this year or if they do it will be in very small numbers.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
They are mainly carrying cargo.

Not passengers, some are carrying UK citizens back but going out empty.

as long as the one's who are ranked 1 to 50 in the world rankings travel, that's fine. And they will.

and I reckon if you sold folk a plane ticket to go to the Open in September, still many thousands would.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

And this is part of the R&A's thinking.
How much of a risk is it to stage an Open in September/October..will the foreign players turn up?
If most of them will then it's a possibility and I would suggest they'll be talking to players to try to establish that likelihood.
If a chunk of the Americans wont comemover then that will devalue the Championship.
I fully expect them to cancel this year's Open but only after they've exhausted all possible avenues to get it played.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
If the Ryder Cup does indeed go ahead, I can only see it being a basis of at least 6+ captain picks.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Also, what about the overseas qualifying events that haven't been played. The R&A qualification rules for the Open seem to let many globally have a shot at qualification. If they go ahead based on things like tour rankings for each different tour as they are now that somehow takes away some of the charm where a lot of good club pros and unknown pros get their chance to qualify and tee it up with the big boys. Far better to call it off for 2020 and come back fresh and Covid clear (hopefully) nest year

D

Deleted member 1147

They haven’t said anything yet, other than that the championship is not as yet postponed or cancelled.

Why don’t we just wait to see what happens? Rather than judging them without knowing the end result.

As a ticket holder I hope it’ll happen, and for my club which hosts first stage of qualifying, but I’m just waiting to find out, when they announce the final decision.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Although it is called The Open, if by some minor miracle it goes ahead as planned in July I cannot see how you can do local qualifying.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
And the PGA Championship has been moved to its normal slot in August...
Might get a couple of Majors and the RC after all..

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It’s now cancelled.

Played at RSG next year and St Andrews in 2022.

The right call. Shame the 150th Open will not be back at St Andrews. but you can't just leave RSG with a multi million pound debt for any longer than possible.

Any news on tickets purchased? Refund and then reapply or tickets to carry forward ?

D

Deleted member 1740

Expected outcome, just never thought it would be confirm this soon.

Gutted but there’s bigger issues than a golf competition.

Siolag

Visit site
The right call. Shame the 150th Open will not be back at St Andrews. but you can't just leave RSG with a multi million pound debt for any longer than possible.

Any news on tickets purchased? Refund and then reapply or tickets to carry forward ?

Next year will still be the 149th so the 150th will still be at St. Andrews.

Who knows, I’m sure that you’ll have an option either way.