lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Doesn't seem long ago we were playing in fine weather and were able to get 9 holes in after work.

Now it's getting colder and darker day by day.

Does anyone have anything to work on over the winter, and technical changes, or any training? Any homework from the pro?

Mine is footwork, get to the range and use the ground contact to push towards my leading side and not hang back on my trailing foot all the time. Build correct weight shift.

I have also got a stretching and mobility program to do in the gym, if I can ever get round to going there!

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
I have 2 simple ideas to focus on over the winter.

1. Try to eliminate the weak right/slice shot that has been a bit too common in my game this year. To do this I need to train my wrists to roll slightly earlier in the swing to give plenty time square the clubhead at impact. When I have control of the face I might try to shift the path more in to out as I'm hitting a lot of straight pulls.

2. Improve strike by ensuring hips are cleared. My bad swing tends to be when i dump the club into the ground as a result of lack of movement form the waist down. I.e. clear the hips early, which allows room for the shoulders to turn and hence allows room for the club to get a clean strike.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Stay fit is no 1

My pro gave me 4 things to tweek my long game during Tuesday's lesson, shallow the club slightly more on the downswing, get the hands coming down on more the same path as at the set up, dont keep watching the ball being struck and a better down the line release. - it sounds a lot but in reality there's not too much wrong.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Take it easy over the winter, averaged once a week during the season and my left thumb joint is destroyed. I'm hoping it isn't arthritic, way too young for thst malarky.
On the plus side I managed some decent golf and returned to 8.1 after hitting a worst high of 11.6. so might partake in some gentle short game practice.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd put off making any changes until now as I was getting the ball around alright
However, I'm now working on some changes which (touch wood) are already starting to come together - as detailed in the height & flight thread.
I'm keeping away from the course for the next few weeks at least... was getting stale anyway and the weather's crap

Feels good to have some enthusiasm for practice

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't have lessons so my goal is just to keep playing through the rain and cold, try and keep up the steady improvement I've been making in the last 6 months. I won't be changing anything in my swing, but at my level the aim is to just keep making it more consistent.