2 questions for Foxholer

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes you are. Try checking out the vid I was referring to - the Shawn Clements one in SR's post http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFGrm...feature=relmfu

Didn't think I needed to quote SR's post, as mine was directly below his! :rolleyes:

Does that video deal with wrist position in the follow through? If not why put it up! You suggested the left wrist in the follow through is either flat or cupped. I asked the question has anyone got a flat wrist in the follow through to which you have put links up for videos that are either inconclusive (Donald) or completely irrelevant (Clement). I have shown a video that shows Donald does have a cupped wrist.

My point is every player has a cupped left wrist in the follow through because I have seen no evidence to suggest otherwise and videos describing the top of the backswing are irrelevant so please don't post any more links for that please

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
My point is every player has a cupped left wrist in the follow through because I have seen no evidence to suggest otherwise and videos describing the top of the backswing are irrelevant so please don't post any more links for that please

I agree the left wrist cups AT SOME POINT after you've hit the ball.... but do you intentionally try and make that happen? Do you think "Right, I've got to start cupping my wrist when the club is 2ft past the ball" or does it just 'happen'?

If we agree that it just happens then clearly there's no manipulation of the swing... you're not trying to 'control it' per se.

One thing we do know is that you shouldn't be cupping it BEFORE you've hit the ball ;):D

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree the left wrist cups AT SOME POINT after you've hit the ball.... but do you intentionally try and make that happen? Do you think "Right, I've got to start cupping my wrist when the club is 2ft past the ball" or does it just 'happen'?

If we agree that it just happens then clearly there's no manipulation of the swing... you're not trying to 'control it' per se.

One thing we do know is that you shouldn't be cupping it BEFORE you've hit the ball ;):D

Agree with all of that i.e. it happens as a result of what's already happened

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Agree with all of that i.e. it happens as a result of what's already happened

So would you agree that it's the same for rolling the wrists?

You don't think "I've got to roll my wrists" it just happens (if at all) waaaaaay after the ball has left the clubface... i.e no manipulation

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I thought Shawn's video was very clear on wrist cupping. Your left wrist naturally cups as it hinges up. If you try to stop it then it severely restricts the natural movement of the wrist.

The momentum of the follow through will re hinge the wrists (unless you forceably try to stop them) This will naturally create a cupping.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I thought Shawn's video was very clear on wrist cupping. Your left wrist naturally cups as it hinges up. If you try to stop it then it severely restricts the natural movement of the wrist.

The momentum of the follow through will re hinge the wrists unless you forceably try to stop them. This will naturally create a cupping.

I agree... however that would assume that the ball is struck with the hands in a neutral position rather than being AHEAD of the ball? When the hands are ahead of the ball any cupping is 'neautralised' is it not?

(nb: just digging for an opinion) :thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

The momentum of the follow through will re hinge the wrists (unless you forceably try to stop them) This will naturally create a cupping.

It also seemed to equally emphatic on allowing the 'wrists (hand) to roll'. Seems a bit odd/selective for SR to use that vid when he was so emphatic that 'rolling wrists is a No Go'.

Should we just all agree that anything that happens after impact is pretty insignificant - provided it's allowed to happen, rather than made to happen.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It also seemed to equally emphatic on allowing the 'wrists (hand) to roll'. Seems a bit odd/selective for SR to use that vid when he was so emphatic that 'rolling wrists is a No Go'.

Should we just all agree that anything that happens after impact is pretty insignificant - provided it's allowed to happen, rather than made to happen.

Yes, I can go with that (Well, unless you then say I have now capitulated to your thinking ;))

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site

Yes so the wrist is NOT FLAT in the follow through as you said it might be.

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
When exactly did I say that??

Sorry socket my bad I thought your post I quoted was written by foxholer. Apologies.

Clements video is very good at what it describes. It just didn't describe what I'd been asking fh about namely wrist position in the follow through. That's why I questioned why he posted the link for that particular video.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sorry socket my bad I thought your post I quoted was written by foxholer. Apologies.

Clements video is very good at what it describes. It just didn't describe what I'd been asking fh about namely wrist position in the follow through. That's why I questioned why he posted the link for that particular video.

I think the Video from Shawn does answer your question but maybe indirectly.

He show that when you take your grip and hinge the left wrists it has to cup. At impact the wrists become unhinged and this allows the left wrists to get into the flat position we see good players achieve. Into the follow through the wrists will naturally rehinge due to the forces of the club on them, this will re-cup the left wrist as it moves towards the top of the swing.

You can try it by taking a club in your left hand grip, hinge the wrists upwards and see the cupping that will naturally form, push the wrists back down as at impact and the wrists will straighten, hinge it back up again as in the follow through and it will cup again.

Last edited:

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
I think the Video from Shawn does answer your question but maybe indirectly.

He show that when you take your grip and hinge the left wrists it has to cup. At impact the wrists become unhinged and this allows the left wrists to get into the flat position we see good players achieve. Into the follow through the wrists will naturally rehinge due to the forces of the club on them, this will re-cup the left wrist as it moves towards the top of the swing.

You can try it by taking a club in your left hand grip, hinge the wrists upwards and see the cupping that will naturally form, push the wrists back down as at impact and the wrists will straighten, hinge it back up again as in the follow through and it will cup again.

Yeah it backs up what I said, that it's virtually impossible to not cup your wrist in the follow through. Foxholer on the other hand was telling me that players don't always cup their wrists in the follow through so it made absolutely no sense for him to post me the link.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yeah it backs up what I said, that it's virtually impossible to not cup your wrist in the follow through. Foxholer on the other hand was telling me that players don't always cup their wrists in the follow through so it made absolutely no sense for him to post me the link.

I think I posted the link.