£270 for the Old Course?

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
I cannot believe that anyone would pay £270 a person for a meal!

It’s not just ”a meal”.

People do and will continue to do. It’s all relative to what luxury in life you enjoy and can afford.

Without straying off topic, my point was that irrespective of whether you pay £270 for a full 3course dinner/wine, £27 Burger, chips and a pint of beer or £2.70 for a pre packed chicken salad sandwich it’s only a rip off when any of those don’t meet a standard whereby we think ” that was delicious or not worth £xxx”

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Somebody, earlier in the thread, put forward the covid situation as justification for the rise in the green fee.
Covid hasn't just affected the golf industry, it's affected every type of business in the world.
But if another business, say a restaurant, increased it's prices in the same way, customers would be up in arms and vote with their feet, and ultimately wallets.
Where's the difference??

Of course covid has affected the golf industry. Many clubs lost hundreds of thousands in 2020 due to zero international visitors.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's a mystery I couldn't fathom when living in England.

The only thing that is in any way a clue, might be Scottish courses tend to have a lot of volunteer roles, Secretary, treasurer etc, that often seem to be paid in English clubs, even when they're small. You also do seem to love having a pro, whereas you're as likely not to have a pro as have one in Scotland.

Interesting statistic! In East Lothian, out of about 20 clubs, only 3 that I can think of don't have a pro. Muirfield, Gifford and Luffness.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The long and the short of it is...
Anybody that would pay £270.00 for 18 holes of golf, or a meal, has got more money than sense.
Or possibly just more money than me.
If you have money you have to spend it on something at some point though. Why not on something you really enjoy? Personally I could just about conceive spending a lot of money on the old course as it would be a really special occassion for me, I would not spend that amount on a meal as I probably would not enjoy it as much and I generally prefer my food in a relaxed environment rather than one where a huge amount has been spent on the decor/ service etc. but each to their own.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
On the upside...
I'm going to st Andrews in the spring and have a 3 day ticket for unlimited golf (including a booking on jubilee, new and castle) for £320.
I guess that sort of value has to be subsidised from somewhere.
3 day ticket was £260 last summer, so that's a hefty increase as well.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
£150

I paid £125 for Trump international, it's on my doorstep and I had to see what had been built, that was a one off.
are 29
But outwith that solitary example, anything over £50 probably counts it out for me, especially if it's just a bounce game.
Well, that'll certainly count you out at Trump International for a Spring round at the weekend... £225! Week day would just sneak in at £150 - but obviously above your 'non special' max. Both Scottish resident rates. Summer Scottish resident rates are £205 (weekday) and £325 (weekend). For those who are not scottish residents, Spring rate (any day) is £295 and Summer is £325.

So maybe TOC rates merely reflect the 'going rates'!

And, according to Kingsbarns's site, their (Spring and Summer resp) prices are £294 and £346! So, again, TOC prices seem RELATIVELY cheap!.

Last edited:

Red devil

Visit site
I'm not privy to the financial accounts of any golf club so I couldn't possibly comment on them. But one thing is obvious that Covid has had a devastating effect on club's incomes and if said clubs feel that one way of recouping those losses is to increase green fees then so be it. It's their decision to make, relying on the recent surge in golf participation they feel they can make hay. Will they kill the golden goose? Time will tell. I don't know myself but time will tell.
As for original comment £270 for OC, yes it's,for the majority of us a fair chunk of money,but is it value for money in terms of satisfaction, fulfilment of dreams etc? . That's for the payer to decide.
I will say this though,,before Covid golf was struggling player numbers were down,golf courses closing and there seemed only one way for golf,downhill. Covid has changed that and golf is enjoying a boom,for now! This year there will be more pressure on people's wallets either inflationary or other things to spend money on,holidays etc.
Clubs need to be very careful, yes by all means try and recoup your losses but as I mentioned earlier remember the golden goose.

Last edited:

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I corrected your mis-assertion, and have already given that figure further up the thread, read the thread before diving in

Over 200 contributions and you expect me to remember who said what on all of them, there's really no need to be insulting.

Anyway you only answered part of the question as far as I can see, so I'll remind you of the second part, how should the businesses model for the OC be changed to accommodate the £120 reduction.

Oh, and you haven't corrected mis-assertion of mine as there was no such animal. You seem to have a talent for misreading was is said on these forums to suit your own agenda.

Last edited:

evemccc

Visit site
Of course covid has affected the golf industry. Many clubs lost hundreds of thousands in 2020 due to zero international visitors.

When did relying on international visitors become the ‘norm’ though?

My understanding (willing to be corrected) is that this is a lot more true for Scotland and Ireland than for many courses in England, and also, that it didn’t use to be the case, certainly not in the scale it is now.
Also, most true (obviously) of the upper-tier courses

My formative golf experiences were in the mid 90s in Arran, Bute, and nearby, with ‘honesty boxes’ at many courses

Obviously the huge densely populated surrounds of England’s golf coast, and the Surrey/Berkshire heathlands, means that courses there have never ‘needed’ this model of (mostly) international visitors subsidising cheap local members

evemccc

Visit site
I'm sure we'd all love to play the OC for a tenner, some of us simply understand that is not how the world works. Out of interest what do you think they should charge and what changes should they make to ensure the reduced fee covers their costs.

What other firms do is to leverage the increased value in the cost of sponsorship (Callaway, Allianze etc) and other corporate tie-ins

If it’s accepted as true that golf in booming globally, and this year is not only the 150th Open, but also at the Home of Golf, and likely will be graced with the presence of Tiger Woods, it’s not a precedent for St Andrews to increase revenue from its ‘partners’ — as the ‘value added’ to brands from this hugely increased media interest in SA will be much greater for the next few years

Last edited: