£270 for the Old Course?

D

Deleted member 15344

The long and the short of it is...
Anybody that would pay £270.00 for 18 holes of golf, or a meal, has got more money than sense.

That’s a pretty poor comment

It will always be down to what people believe is full value for the money - some may think it’s worth every penny , doesn’t mean they have more money than sense

And when it comes to the value of things - you work in car sales - everything there is overpriced on the forecourt

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
What other firms do is to leverage the increased value in the cost of sponsorship (Callaway, Allianze etc) and other corporate tie-ins

If it’s accepted as true that golf in booming globally, and this year is not only the 150th Open, but also at the Home of Golf, and likely will be graced with the presence of Tiger Woods, it’s not a precedent for St Andrews to increase revenue from its ‘partners’ — as the ‘value added’ to brands from this hugely increased media interest in SA will be much greater for the next few years
And I am confident this is what they are attempting to do, but all businesses have lost revenue due to Covid so these partners may just not have the money and anyway, contracts for this year Open will have been signed some while ago given the 150th was meant to take place last year.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If it’s accepted as true that golf in booming globally, and this year is not only the 150th Open, but also at the Home of Golf, and likely will be graced with the presence of Tiger Woods, it’s not a precedent for St Andrews to increase revenue from its ‘partners’ — as the ‘value added’ to brands from this hugely increased media interest in SA will be much greater for the next few years
I very much doubt he'll be playing in the tournament though!

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I very much doubt he'll be playing in the tournament though!
I wouldn’t be surprised if he was playing. It’s an easy walk, short and not all that demanding of a course. If the weather is right, it’s not much more than a drive chip and putt competition. It could be his best chance of winning again.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Interesting statistic! In East Lothian, out of about 20 clubs, only 3 that I can think of don't have a pro. Muirfield, Gifford and Luffness.
Muirfield doesn't have 'its own Pro', but points visitors towards Gullane's one. Luffness probably likewise (the couple of times I played there, I didn't go into the clubhouse).
It's probably 'economic' reasons - for both sides. Golf club can't justify 'decent' salary; Pro couldn't live on what club can offer.

Last edited:

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
I'm not privy to the financial accounts of any golf club so I couldn't possibly comment on them. But one thing is obvious that Covid has had a devastating effect on club's incomes and if said clubs feel that one way of recouping those losses is to increase green fees then so be it. It's their decision to make, relying on the recent surge in golf participation they feel they can make hay. Will they kill the golden goose? Time will tell. I don't know myself but time will tell.
As for original comment £270 for OC, yes it's,for the majority of us a fair chunk of money,but is it value for money in terms of satisfaction, fulfilment of dreams etc? . That's for the payer to decide.
I will say this though,,before Covid golf was struggling player numbers were down,golf courses closing and there seemed only one way for golf,downhill. Covid has changed that and golf is enjoying a boom,for now! This year there will be more pressure on people's wallets either inflationary or other things to spend money on,holidays etc.
Clubs need to be very careful, yes by all means try and recoup your losses but as I mentioned earlier remember the golden goose.

This (y).
Some clubs (and manufacturers) should be in a position to make lots of hay - doesn't just need to be pricing, but so many other ancillary revenue opportunities like tie-ins, media, expansion of customer base, etc that others have mentioned. But I think a lot are just one-dimensional and focused on price rises, and their golden goose could eventually be on life support when the current supportive market environment changes (which like all markets throughout history, will eventually happen at some point). A past Wall St CEO had a great saying - be greedy, but long term greedy rather than short term obsessed.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I wouldn’t be surprised if he was playing. It’s an easy walk, short and not all that demanding of a course. If the weather is right, it’s not much more than a drive chip and putt competition. It could be his best chance of winning again.
I don't believe his swing/body would be 'up to it'.
I'm pretty sure I could find an article where he actually stated as much - after the PNC jolly.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Not sure what the relevance to used cars is????? Pointless really as not comparing like for like. Both paying a top course and buying a car are simply consumer decisions

I think the point LP is making is that Smiffy is slating TOC for inflating their prices due to covid when he actually works in the car sales market - where used and new car prices have also sky rocketed in the past two years.

Although, in fairness, I suspect that the increase in car prices isn't Covid related but something else bordering on political.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think the point LP is making is that Smiffy is slating TOC for inflating their prices due to covid when he actually works in the car sales market - where used and new car prices have also sky rocketed in the past two years.

Although, in fairness, I suspect that the increase in car prices isn't Covid related but something else bordering on political.

Exactly - there is always context and you don’t see that if you just look at one post

The other point was the suggestion that someone paying £270 for a round of golf has more money than sense

But overall i can’t see many things that have got cheaper over the last two years

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Smiffy's opinion on the cost of TOC and an expensive meal are his opinion..unless his opinion is that black is white, which is obviously wrong, that's exactly what it is..an opinion
Others are of the opinion that those costs are acceptable and, guess what....that's fine too.......
Some have no qualms about paying 500 quid for a driver - some think that anyone who does is an idiot...so what?
I think more than 150 notes for 18 holes anywhere is too much...doesn't mean I won't pay it if I feel it's what I want though..

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
By the time I get around to playing at St. Andrews I expect it will cost about £500 to play it :ROFLMAO:

I for sure would just do all I could to "get my monies worth" if I played it. Ensure you take it all in before you tee off on every hole. Id not pay those fees more than once.

sunshine

Visit site
So this thread features:
- an argument on Tiger’s fitness
- an argument on the price of new cars
- an argument on what is a decent price for a 3 Michelin star dinner

Why is there so much squabbling? ?

I’d like to pour some petrol on the flames: the price of a round has gone sky high due to brexit.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
By the time I get around to playing at St. Andrews I expect it will cost about £500 to play it :ROFLMAO:

I for sure would just do all I could to "get my monies worth" if I played it. Ensure you take it all in before you tee off on every hole. Id not pay those fees more than once.
There's stuff you can't see from the tee on some of the holes - my mate stood on 12th tee and looked all around then hit it into one of the massive bunkers in middle of the fairway that weren't visible from the tee

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Having played it, albeit a very long time ago, it is in my opinion one of those courses you "should" play but of course that is dependent on an individuals circumstances and preferences. For me, the whole experience from walking around the town to standing there on the first tee, taking pictures of it all to the walk over the Swilken Bridge (and another obligatory picture) was worth it but of course the price I paid was significantly less than £270. Would I pay that much? If I hadn't played it then yes, I'd find a way to scrimp and save the budget to get up there, play (plus caddie fee) and the accommodation (so guess it could be closer to £450 with all that thrown in) because it is an iconic venue.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There's stuff you can't see from the tee on some of the holes - my mate stood on 12th tee and looked all around then hit it into one of the massive bunkers in middle of the fairway that weren't visible from the tee
Stroke Bunker is aptly named!