£270 for the Old Course?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Anyone know how much it costs to be a member at other Open rota courses?

Green fees are all the same ball park.
I think a membership at one of the values that run on the St Andrews links Trust would be fairly cheap, but then of course you don't play all your golf on TOC, similar with Carnoustie a similar set up. Not sure if it's still going but Turnberry had a membership that was a just over £1000, but I think trump wanted to get ride of it. I the scheme of things Muirfield and Troon are that expensive ,though members I know are cagey when it comes to the actual fee. It's actually jumping through the membership hoops that's the hard part?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That’s a pretty poor comment

It will always be down to what people believe is full value for the money - some may think it’s worth every penny , doesn’t mean they have more money than sense

And when it comes to the value of things - you work in car sales - everything there is overpriced on the forecourt

Agree anyone who spends more than 20k on a car has more money than sense ??

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
There's stuff you can't see from the tee on some of the holes - my mate stood on 12th tee and looked all around then hit it into one of the massive bunkers in middle of the fairway that weren't visible from the tee

You get my point though - just take it all in. Its not just about how you play, its about where you're playing.

Having played it, albeit a very long time ago, it is in my opinion one of those courses you "should" play but of course that is dependent on an individuals circumstances and preferences. For me, the whole experience from walking around the town to standing there on the first tee, taking pictures of it all to the walk over the Swilken Bridge (and another obligatory picture) was worth it but of course the price I paid was significantly less than £270. Would I pay that much? If I hadn't played it then yes, I'd find a way to scrimp and save the budget to get up there, play (plus caddie fee) and the accommodation (so guess it could be closer to £450 with all that thrown in) because it is an iconic venue.

I feel I will be the same as you. I must play it one day, but probably only the once - done properly.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
You get my point though - just take it all in. Its not just about how you play, its about where you're playing.
I do get your point - just never miss an opportunity to tell people about my mate who was told "there's a couple of big bunkers you can't see in the middle of that fairway"

If you do get the chance to play the Old Course take it all in but it's not the history or atmosphere that I love the course for - it's an enormously fun course to play and if you avoid the bunkers/bad weather it shouldn't beat you up.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
By the time I get around to playing at St. Andrews I expect it will cost about £500 to play it :ROFLMAO:

I for sure would just do all I could to "get my monies worth" if I played it. Ensure you take it all in before you tee off on every hole. Id not pay those fees more than once.
Well that's about how much I've spent playing TOC! But that's having played it 5 times and included several caddy costs. Loved the whole experience every time! Played Kingsbarns around the same period - just after it opened and near Sean Connery's group. Hearing his 'the bonker's the line' as he readied to play tee shot on 12 as I approached 14th green still makes me smile!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Anyone know how much it costs to be a member at other Open rota courses?

Green fees are all the same ball park.

I heard from a member of Muirfield a couple of years ago that the fees were £1200 and £800 for seniors. This dispelled the rumour that members wouldn't know the fees until they received a bill at the end of the year.

Membership is never advertised, so no idea who you get to join.

Royal Troon is similar.

Not an open venue, but Gleneagles is close to £3.5k per year.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I heard from a member of Muirfield a couple of years ago that the fees were £1200 and £800 for seniors. This dispelled the rumour that members wouldn't know the fees until they received a bill at the end of the year.

Membership is never advertised, so no idea who you get to join.
Sounds pretty similar to what someone I knew, who was close to a member and close to becoming a member mentioned also (allowing for inflation). Of course, the 'social side' of the club cost considerably more!!
There are considerable benefits from being an Open venue, that actually dwarf the not inconsiderate fee for holding the event.

sunshine

Visit site
Annual subs at some amazing courses are very reasonable.... and the huge green fees are part of the reason!

When a visiting fourball brings in a grand, you only need four visitors tee times a day (weekdays only) to generate £1m, which nicely subsidises the membership.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When a visiting fourball brings in a grand, you only need four visitors tee times a day (weekdays only) to generate £1m, which nicely subsidises the membership.

True. Muirfield only takes visitors 2 days per week despite being a pretty quiet course most of the time. I wonder how much revenue they would make if they opened up.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I played Royal Portrush and whilst I enjoyed it, I worked it out at cost per hole and concluded it probably wasn't worth it.

At £270 for the Old Course, that's £15 a hole. If the weather is terrible and you're not swinging well it's probably not great. On the other hand I'd probably pay £15 to tee off and play out the first hole and another £15 for the 18th. Overall, probably not value for money in my opinion.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Most of these high costs are slightly driven my US visitors, esp open venues and courses in the top 100, the only trouble is most Americans have no clue how much the rounds cost. I did a few caddy jobs last few years and the majority where with tour companies..but for these guys compaired to some of the costs for top courses in the US we are still pretty cheap.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
True. Muirfield only takes visitors 2 days per week despite being a pretty quiet course most of the time. I wonder how much revenue they would make if they opened up.
That's not their primary purpose! They are a 'social club' based around golf. Income from 'visitors' subsidises their costs, but they are not a 'business'. Likewise, the St Andrews set up is 'unique' - in a different way. It is definitely handled like a business though - at least from an external pov.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Is it that much money to play because the market will bear it
or because they have to charge that much to meet operting expenses?

The post WWII working class golf explosion is long over with.
Golf is very expensive today.
The game may be leaning toward becoming an elitist activity, even in egalitarian Scotland.

It seems to be heading that way in the US, I'm afraid.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is it that much money to play because the market will bear it
or because they have to charge that much to meet operting expenses?

The post WWII working class golf explosion is long over with.
Golf is very expensive today.
The game may be leaning toward becoming an elitist activity, even in egalitarian Scotland.

It seems to be heading that way in the US, I'm afraid.
It looks like that from a headline but it really isn't still. I have around 4 opens booked already next year. I'm playing some genuinely nice courses and the costs are between £12-£18 for the round. Now they are not Open courses, they have no historical meaning but they are all very good to play. A past time where I can be out for a good chunk of a day and the basic cost is £12-£18 is not elitist. ($14-$22 in your money :D)

Even looking at the thread about the cost of a round at forum members courses, note they are figures from club websites and may be cheaper via booking sites, shows plenty of courses at prices well below that to watch a game of football, rugby, eat out etc. We just have to accept that certain courses will be very expensive but that applies across most things in life.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
It looks like that from a headline but it really isn't still. I have around 4 opens booked already next year. I'm playing some genuinely nice courses and the costs are between £12-£18 for the round. Now they are not Open courses, they have no historical meaning but they are all very good to play. A past time where I can be out for a good chunk of a day and the basic cost is £12-£18 is not elitist. ($14-$22 in your money :D)

Even looking at the thread about the cost of a round at forum members courses, note they are figures from club websites and may be cheaper via booking sites, shows plenty of courses at prices well below that to watch a game of football, rugby, eat out etc. We just have to accept that certain courses will be very expensive but that applies across most things in life.

Overall, you fellows seem to be in better shape than we, here in the present time.
I'm glad that it's not looking as bleak for you.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Have PL football clubs trebled their season ticket prices this year because of zero attendance income since March 2020 at home games until August 21?
Don't know about every business, but we used to go to the same holiday home every year and they put their prices up by over 50% when they opened up again. Don't know if they're recouping their losses but I'm not using them any more.