£270 for the Old Course?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
No you don’t but they do add to the experience. First time we played it was for mrs wedges 50th. I sorted caddies for it and it was well worth it. You can take a trainee caddie, which is what we did last time we played it. They are much cheaper. Because we were out early doors, trollies we’re not allowed, so did a trainee caddie for the mrs. He was a retired stock market trader, not a youngster just out of nappies, he was brilliant. He gave advice to all four players without hesitation, even the American chap added to our 3 ball. Think at the time he cost £30 plus tip.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Could anyone suggest any hidden gems course around St Andrews that are cheap and can offset the expensive of TOC ?
Thanks for your responses

Lundin Links, about 30 mins back towards Edinburgh, lovely little track. Scottscraig, about 15 mins north of St Andrew’s is also worth a visit. Looks like the prices have risen a bit since we played them 3-5 years ago. Both worth a visit though.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I believe its no (electric anyway) trolleys before 12 noon to promote caddy use at that time of the day. I've had a caddy a couple of times when I've played it and it was worth tbh it rather than the the time I didn't and just hit it left all the way round?. It was worth it just for the green reading.

This is right, hence why we teed off at 12:10 last month ?

gopher99

Visit site
I took my dad up there in 2006 for his retirement present, we hired a caddy for him and it was an amazing experience. We played the old course, new course, Ladybank and Scotscraig. It’s a once in a lifetime trip, and i would just say go for it.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Cruden Bay £145 for a midweek round , look on for sale section and you could play it for £30 now that’s a bargin.

Also you would be helping HFH charity.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not a hidden gem
Not cheap
Nowhere near St Andrews.

Great post otherwise like

Strange reply.

I appreciate my post wasnt about the price rise at the OC but many are banging on about the high prices at some clubs and not just about the OC.

Who mentioned anything about a hidden gem?

£30 is cheep

Loads of courses have been mentioned doesn’t just have to be about the OC.

Was just trying to do someone a favor and help a good cause.

2 time wasters not helping don’t think I’ll bother again.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Strange reply.

I appreciate my post wasnt about the price rise at the OC but many are banging on about the high prices at some clubs and not just about the OC.

Who mentioned anything about a hidden gem?

£30 is cheep

Loads of courses have been mentioned doesn’t just have to be about the OC.

Was just trying to do someone a favor and help a good cause.

2 time wasters not helping don’t think I’ll bother again.

Well the post you were replying to (below) did. Yes £30 is cheap, £145 isn't though.

Could anyone suggest any hidden gems course around St Andrews that are cheap and can offset the expensive of TOC ?

Visit site

As someone else said there is little cheap, especially if you want to play links but there are some decent options. We have a caravan in Crail and these are the courses I tend slot in when fancy a round:

Crail Balmomie - At high season it’s £120 green fee so not cheap but often do twilight deals for four balls and the like which are excellent.

Anstruther - some of the best value golf in the area. 9 holes of links with some quirks but played along the coast and with a green fee of £20ish is the bargain of the region in my view.

St Michaels - not played it but will later this summer. Looks a nice parkland and green fee around £25.

Cupar Golf Club - The Elmwood in Cupar is a pleasant nine hole and about £15 green fee.

Charleton Golf Club - not played it yet but popped into see it when driving back the other weekend. Parkland course sitting on the hills above the new Dumbarnie link course. Opening holes look Ok and some stunning views of the sea. Green fee about £40 I think.

Dumbarnie - looks awesome and a great challenge but green fee likely to be around £120 based on last time I checked.

Last edited:

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Charleton Golf Club - not played it yet but popped into see it when driving back the other weekend. Parkland course sitting on the hills above the new Dalbarnie link course. Opening holes look Ok and some stunning views of the sea. Green fee about £40 I think.

Dalbarnie - looks awesome and a great challenge but green fee likely to be around £120 based on last time I checked.

Don’t you mean Dumbarnie? People won’t get those prices unless they’re a Fife or Scottish resident.

Charleton is a nice little members club, the quality of the greens there is usually great.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not sure of the fee but Downfield in Dundee is really good.
Dumbarnie is closed just now as it is in poor condition.
Might be a while before it is worth what they charge for it!

Visit site
Don’t you mean Dumbarnie? People won’t get those prices unless they’re a Fife or Scottish resident.

Charleton is a nice little members club, the quality of the greens there is usually great.
I did indeed and constantly misname it for some reason. And your right £120 is rate for a Scottish citizens which is why it stuck in my head.

Apologies for sharing link to a competitor site but some excellent value here
covering Fife, Perth and Angus.

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golfbrea...0515_sgs)&mc_cid=c0f4338963&mc_eid=9bd5fa1550

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The eden course is reasonable.
We got a decent price at ladybank for a 4ball - they often have deals, and it's a nice change from links.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We played Burntisland on the way up to St Andrews. Nice course, great views, it's on your way if you are crossing the Forth Road Bridge. Visitors green fee is £30.