£270 for the Old Course?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A simple straw poll

What would you think is the right price to pay to play The Old Course

And what’s the maximum you would pay for a round at the top courses
The answer to the first part is what it means to you. I don't have an emotional attachment to the history of the course so for me I'd pay £100. As a course it doesn't appeal more than that.

Second part, probably £150. Now, if you said I can play a particular top course for £155 I'm probably not going to miss for a fiver but but that would be the target, max, figure.

ToC being £270 doesn't stress me, plenty of other courses to play.

D

Deleted member 1147

Not sure what your point is? I didn't say courses in Derby charge £300 a year., I said many courses

Within 10 miles of my front door, Inchmarlo, Torphins, Lumphanan, Tarland, Dunecht House, Paul Lawrie Golf Centre, Braemar (OK it's 40 miles but it's up the valley)
Ok got ya.
but why are Scottish course generally so cheap?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Ok got ya.
but why are Scottish course generally so cheap?
It's a mystery I couldn't fathom when living in England.

The only thing that is in any way a clue, might be Scottish courses tend to have a lot of volunteer roles, Secretary, treasurer etc, that often seem to be paid in English clubs, even when they're small. You also do seem to love having a pro, whereas you're as likely not to have a pro as have one in Scotland.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That's literally from that post.
And were the words 'dire straits' therein? Absolutely not! Thus my 'utter twaddle' description.

I think there might be a new description of something worse than 'utter twaddle' - 'a Banchoryism'! With apologies to other inhabitants!

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
And were the words 'dire straits' therein? Absolutely not!

I think there might be a new description of something worse than 'utter twaddle' - 'a Banchoryism'! With apologies to other inhabitants!
Wow. Quite incredible on a number of levels.

You realise in English there's a number of words and phrases you can use to say the same thing?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
What's amazing here, is that on a golf forum, some golfers are actually happy, and even backing a course charging nearly £300 for a round of golf, more than many clubs charge for an entire year's golf, but this is just dandy? It's quite astonishing.
I'm sure we'd all love to play the OC for a tenner, some of us simply understand that is not how the world works. Out of interest what do you think they should charge and what changes should they make to ensure the reduced fee covers their costs.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I'm sure we'd all love to play the OC for a tenner, some of us simply understand that is not how the world works. Out of interest what do you think they should charge and what changes should they make to ensure the reduced fee covers their costs.
I didn't say that anywhere, Foxholer will be along shortly to tell you you're therefore speaking "utter twaddle"

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not sure what your point is? I didn't say courses in Derby charge £300 a year., I said many courses

Within 10 miles of my front door, Inchmarlo, Torphins, Lumphanan, Tarland, Dunecht House, Paul Lawrie Golf Centre, Braemar (OK it's 40 miles but it's up the valley)
Those I looked at all (the first 5) consisted of 9 holes, so understandable that golf on those is cheaper!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I certainly would! (y)I actually knew someone who, effectively, pretty much did!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Answering the question.... if I'd never played the Old Course before, I'd pay the money. It's the blooming Old Course.... if you have the cash, you play it.

I was there last in 2018. (3rd visit) When will I play it again? No idea. Is the cost a factor? Yes, and geography!

If I get a call to go to Sunningdale or RSG for lots of cash... I'll go!

Each to their own, it's an individual call. Folk have different priorities and budgets.

If they charge too much, folk won't go. Market forces and all that!

sunshine

Visit site
But of the course there's no self interest in those that are trying to justify the fee being lower.

Exactly. Surely it’s up to the custodians of the links to determine their priorities. There’s probably a set of objectives to provide guidance.

£270 for a visitor appears to be the going rate these days. I have no issues with a business charging a market rate (although it prices me out).

Charging £240 for annual membership of Seven courses is an incredible bargain and is a pretty clear demonstration of where their priorities lie. Market rate would be at least £7,000 surely?

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
I have never played The Old Course but i will be making the journey far north in the forseeable and i will pay the going rate.

In my mind it's iconic and the home of golf. It's a must play.

I can certainly understand some people who have a certain budget and thats their perogative.

I see it as the cost of dinner with wine in the City v 18 holes on an iconic golf course that i will have memories to reminisce for the rest of my life.