£270 for the Old Course?

sunshine

Visit site
Missing the point, no group or individual benefits from the profit except as I say some local charities. So the accusation of greed motivating the increase is wide of the mark.

The locals benefit as the high green fees for tourists enable season ticket holders to enjoy incredible value. And I assume the people who set the prices are all locals…

Although the links trust is not run for profit, I’m sure there’s a lot of self interest involved.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
The locals benefit as the high green fees for tourists enable season ticket holders to enjoy incredible value. And I assume the people who set the prices are all locals…

Although the links trust is not run for profit, I’m sure there’s a lot of self interest involved.
But of the course there's no self interest in those that are trying to justify the fee being lower.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks, couldn't find them. So nae exactly paupers, and 2021 was much better than 2020

75% loss in revenue and near 50% decline of cash with outgoings largely unchanged in the space of one financial year is not a healthy outlook.

2021 accounts aren’t published until May and suspicion is they won’t show much if any improvement. Visitor restrictions weren’t back to normal until late August, missing out on the majority of the peak season a second year running.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

But it is run for profit! The trustees have an obligation to provide growth and reinvestment into the links as a public park. Being a charitable trust doesn’t mean it shouldn’t make a profit and it would be criminal mismanagement if the trustees were not looking to generate such revenue. A simple example is that all the profits from its subsidary retail business are gifted back to the trust. This is easy to understand retail profit accrued by selling jumpers in a shop.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
So not comparable to justifying the price of the green fee because the Old Course has lost out during covid??

Not in my opinion, golf and restaurants are completely different types of business who work off completely different business plans.
You could start comparing loads of different businesses and the impact COVID has had during the last 2 years.

D

Deleted member 15344

A simple straw poll

What would you think is the right price to pay to play The Old Course

And what’s the maximum you would pay for a round at the top courses

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A simple straw poll

Does it matter? Not going to change the price and it is a consumer decision on whether you think its a price worth paying. If you do then pay the price and play if not don't. The same for any top end course.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Not in my opinion, golf and restaurants are completely different types of business who work off completely different business plans.

Somebody, earlier in the thread, put forward the covid situation as justification for the rise in the green fee.
Covid hasn't just affected the golf industry, it's affected every type of business in the world.
But if another business, say a restaurant, increased it's prices in the same way, customers would be up in arms and vote with their feet, and ultimately wallets.
Where's the difference??

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Somebody, earlier in the thread, put forward the covid situation as justification for the rise in the green fee.
Covid hasn't just affected the golf industry, it's affected every type of business in the world.
But if another business, say a restaurant, increased it's prices in the same way, customers would be up in arms and vote with their feet, and ultimately wallets.
Where's the difference??

There could be loads of different factors why a restaurant has to increase prices due to COVID, arguably like you say every business in the world.
It's just not comparable industries in my opinion to justify your reasoning.
I'd almost say you are a bit miffed because you had ONE bad experience there, hence your opinion.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
On the upside...
I'm going to st Andrews in the spring and have a 3 day ticket for unlimited golf (including a booking on jubilee, new and castle) for £320.
I guess that sort of value has to be subsidised from somewhere.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Where's the difference??
Enough consumers will still play the OC at the inflated price, they could have charged more and they would still be full to the brim.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
And you'd be wrong in your assumption.
I loved Carnoustie but still wouldn't pay what they are asking for a round of golf now.
Total rip off
No worries.
It's all subjective anyway, and that goes for everything you buy or want, when it comes down to it, everyone has the right to spend there money on what they want to and everyone's perspective of value.

evemccc

Visit site
If SALT
75% loss in revenue and near 50% decline of cash with outgoings largely unchanged in the space of one financial year is not a healthy outlook.

2021 accounts aren’t published until May and suspicion is they won’t show much if any improvement. Visitor restrictions weren’t back to normal until late August, missing out on the majority of the peak season a second year running.

They could easily have had my £190 or whatever it was last summer in August 2020 - but TOC refused to take bookings for singles

If they’d wanted to, they could very easily gained more income by doing this as there are plenty of singles who would have paid up

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
On the upside...
I'm going to st Andrews in the spring and have a 3 day ticket for unlimited golf (including a booking on jubilee, new and castle) for £320.
I guess that sort of value has to be subsidised from somewhere.
I wouldn't consider that lump as 'value that has to be subsidised from elsewhere' - as it's £60/round at least! A good deal for both seller and buyer! Hope the weather is kind enough for you to take advantage of a good deal!

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
A simple straw poll

£150

I paid £125 for Trump international, it's on my doorstep and I had to see what had been built, that was a one off.

But outwith that solitary example, anything over £50 probably counts it out for me, especially if it's just a bounce game.